Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built my first 1022 and I'm having problems with a double fire. Rifle mods are, Fajen Blaster, Green Mountain 18" SS barrel, Volquartzen hammer and usual mag release, bolt bumper and bolt release. Trigger pull is right at 2.5lbs and the rifle shoots well under .5 with several different ammos. I polished lightly the sear contact points and the bolt strut with flitz, enough to take off the blueing. I used all of the supplied springs from the Volquartzen Target Hammer kit, and the rifle had about 1000 rounds through it before the conversion. Every once and a while it will throw 2 out, makes it kinda hard to shoot a postal target. Any ideas?

·
Registered
536 Posts
cmjr said:
I polished lightly the sear contact points and the bolt strut with flitz, enough to take off the blueing.
Yea, that prob is the culprit :) is there any lube on the sear hammer, disconnector or any other major components? if so, try the gun without the lube.
Or you may need a new sear. Someone more knowledgable will chime in, but im guessing that that is the problem

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jaeger, I will disassemble, clean and re-try. If it continues I will contact Volquartsen and get their take on it. Have you had any experience with the chromed sear and disconnector?

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Just my impression, but from watching the posts here pretty closely, I'd say this. Get a new STOCK Ruger sear, and put it in the gun. Messing with, or replacing the sear will nine out of ten times, only get you troubles.

Very frequently, aftermarket sears get you nothing but trigger creep and possibly problems with the functioning of the safety.

You will hear people tell you they have replaced, , modified, poilished, etc, their sears...but I dare say you will never hear anyone talking about it being any better when done... likely the opposite.

Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with Antlurz. The stories I have heard from people who have modified their sear or put in an aftermarket one seem to always end up with problems, not to mention sometimes creating an illegal firearm

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Trigger Job Gone BAD....! !

cmjr,

You have an UNSAFE and ILLEGAL weapon....! ! :eek:

It does NOT matter one iota to the BATF whether you intended to make a machinegun, or it was an accident: you have one by definition of the Law, and you had better replace that sear ASAP, and destroy the part you 'polished'...! ! :eek:

·
Registered
505 Posts
You know, I used to get upset when Big Mike made this post to others that had "played" with their fire control components and inadvertently wound up with automatic weapons. (In the eyes of the law a double is no different than a 3 round burst out of an AR16.) It seemed rather heavy handed. Please listen to him. It's not only good advice, he is genuinely concerned for your safety, and that you don't wind up spending some time at Club Fed.

Zirc

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jaeger, I'm a step ahead of you, have already ordered the nickeled sear and disconnector. I've also taken the sear out and cleaned it with some gun scrubber, there was some kind of film on the contact points. The sear I have is the stock Ruger, I did not replace it with the Vol. unit. I'm on my way to the range to try it, will report back on the results. If it still double fires I will pull the sear and disconnector and replace with the nickle coated ones. If it's not any better after that the hammer will go back to Vol. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I earlier posted, I took the 1022 to the range yesterday, and had no double fires. Shot 200 rounds without a mal-function. There must have been a small amount of flitz still on the sear and disconnector when I polished it. One thing learned, when working on trigger components, use a cleaner to absolutely remove all potential contaminates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
double fire

I have found that some of the lower velocity ammo doesn't move the bolt back far enough to re-set the hammer, which lets the rifle double. It's a real pain to see a good shot on a competition target spoiled by an extra hole. Check your ammo velocity, or at least try something a little faster. I think you'll find that is the problem and answer. lol, greenpea

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Double Fire

Just got back from a full afternoon at the range and for the first time had a double fire. This was late in the session. I stopped shooting immediately and cleaned the trigger assembly. No more problems. Appears that there was sufficient crud buildup to keep the trigger from resetting. I'll watch this more closely in the future.

sawdust

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.