Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,309 Posts
I have no reason to think that the ammo that is best at 50 yards will not also be the best at 100 yards. Top contenders for ultimate accuracy would include Lapua Midas, Eley Tenex, and RWS R-50. Have not tested the R-50 but hear good things about it.

On guns my guess would be 1. Anschutz (target grade), 2, Cooper, & 3. Savage/CZ (probably about the same). There are other good guns, but those are some of the more common ones.

Ron

· Registered
130 Posts
This thread is soooooo timely! And I too was gonna post just such a question......

You see, I set out this morning to shoot in this Dogawful 100+* heat and smoke-filled skies of Northern California, deciding to set up at the 100 yard line.

-- Boy did I have a BALL! --

After throwing some rounds down from the 50 yard line (CCI Standard, Winchester Super-X, Golden Eagle, Federal Champion), I was pleased to get some pretty decent groups. So I put a big bullseye down-range on the 100 yard line, and proceded to shoot the same ammo.

Then I got to thinking......
* Can ammo that groups just kinda well at 50 yards, group better at 100 yards???
* Is there ammo that 'stabilizes' en route to the 100 yard line, that actually groups better than expected based on the results from the 50 yard line???

· Registered
3,309 Posts
Then I got to thinking......
* Can ammo that groups just kinda well at 50 yards, group better at 100 yards???
* Is there ammo that 'stabilizes' en route to the 100 yard line, that actually groups better than expected based on the results from the 50 yard line???
Article to read on that possibility:

http://bryanlitz.bravehost.com/EpSwerv.html

Ron

· Registered
8,058 Posts
your best ammo is gonna be whatever target ammo that shoots best in YOUR rifle. simple as that. Eley 10X, match ,team and posiibly club extra for eley ammo to try. Lapua XACT, Midas and Master. RWS R-50 and R-100. those are what i would try if i were going for the 100 yd line.

· Registered
130 Posts
Where can a guy buy samples of each of the ammo listed above???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely fascinating read!!!
and yet....
"The phenomemon of smaller angular groups at longer ranges was not disproven. The only thing I've shown is that if the phenomenon actually happens, epicyclic swerve is not the cause of it."
Gotta love it!

· Registered
8,058 Posts
midway or champions choice should have all those in stock. probly run ya about $200 or so for a box of each plus shipping :eek: :D aint shooting fun.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.