Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Another dumb question, but here goes. I have a few Rugers but never owned a 10/22. I am getting a 10/22T (Laminate Stock and Heavy Barrel) and am not sure about the scope mounting hardware needed. On Ruger's web-site the 10/22 comes with a base, the 10/22T just says drilled and tapped. Am i right assuming that the 10/22 action does not have the standard Ruger dove-tail rings, and mounts with a base and rings like most other rifles?
If this is correct, what base and ring combo do you guys like for the 10/22? Also would I use the Med. rings for a 40mm scope on the heavy target barrel?
I won't be putting lens covers on or a sunshade.
FYI I almost bought a CZ, but came to my sences just in time. :cool:
Thanks Charlie

·
Registered
555 Posts
Charlie, if you are buying a new 10/22T, it should come with Ruger's new base that will accommodate 22 Tip Off type rings (the kind that fits grooved receivers on many other 22s) or Weaver style rings. The base should include screws to mount to the 10/22 receiver. Or if you need a little more height, I personally like to use Power Custom mounts. They are designed for Weaver style rings. I also prefer the medium Burris Signature Zee Weaver rings (they have the plastic inserts). I have used that combination to mount 50 MM AO scopes, using a bull barrel. Had to sand slightly on the cover to get it to slip on, but not a big problem. I know you would be OK with the Ruger base and the Sig Zee medium rings with a 40 MM. Most other medium rings are not as tall as the Sig Zee, so your clearance could be different. Oh yeah, don't knock the CZ til you try it. I love my 452!! :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
22 fan, So you'r answer is no the 10/22 does not use the dove-tail rings that a 77/22 would use? That is what I figured but I have to order the gun and don't have access to a 10/22 to look at. Guess that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere. :) The reason I asked was that I wanted to order the base ande rings while I was waiting for the rifle. Maybe I better waite and see what comes with the rifle.
As far as the CZ goes, I have heard nothing but good things about them but I'm a real fan of Ruger and when I saw the 10/22T I couldn't resist.
Thanks for the info, and thanks to Ben B also. That answers my dumb question to a tea.
Charlie

·
Registered
555 Posts
CharlieB said:
22 fan, So you'r answer is no the 10/22 does not use the dove-tail rings that a 77/22 would use? That is what I figured but I have to order the gun and don't have access to a 10/22 to look at. Guess that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere. :) The reason I asked was that I wanted to order the base ande rings while I was waiting for the rifle. Maybe I better waite and see what comes with the rifle.
As far as the CZ goes, I have heard nothing but good things about them but I'm a real fan of Ruger and when I saw the 10/22T I couldn't resist.
Thanks for the info, and thanks to Ben B also. That answers my dumb question to a tea.
Charlie
Charlie, I will guess that the rings that come with the 77/22 are made to fit the integral base of its receiver and will not fit the base for the 10/22T. Since I don't have a 77/22, this is just a guess on my part. The 10/22 base will allow you to use the 3/8" .22 type rings that were designed originally to fit receivers with grooves, thereby eliminating the need to have a separate base for those types of guns. Since the 10/22 receiver does not have an integral base or grooves you have to put some type of base on it and the new Ruger is pretty good considering it allows the use of the .22 type rings or Weavers. Ruger used to include a base that would only allow the .22 rings. If I were you, I would try the new Ruger base and some Weaver style rings. I think the Weavers generally give you a more firm setup.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
22fan, Gotcha, I kinda like the looks of the Weaver style rings anyway. I'll still have to wait and see if she comes with the base. I sure hope so. Already have a Nikon 3-9x40 patiently awaiting her arrival.
I think Mknair Is correct as I have a 77/22 and the rings look like they will fit the standard 3/8 groves.
Thanks again to everyone for the info.
Charlie

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a 10/22 T which was made in 1999 and it came with the standard ruger dovetail base. I used BKL rings to mount a 2.5x10 scope on it. Well made, sturdy, and doesn't move. Same goes for my Sako, used duoblestrap BKL rings to mount a 5.5x22 50mm scope. Solid as a rock.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Charlie, again I don't know about the 77/22 rings, but the other Ruger rings I have will not fit the 10/22 base. Here is a pic of the 10/22 base I referred to in my other posts along with the Burris Sig Zee Rings and a Simmons ATV with a 40MM AO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
22fan,
Thanks, a picture is worth <well you know>.
Are those the med. rings? Looks like the 40mm scope fits very nice with that set-up. :t
Also you mentioned the Burris rings have the inserts. I have heard they eliminate the ring lapping. Is that true, or is that a toatlly different thing?
As far as the Ruger rings go, I have no intention of taking my 77/22 apart to check so it doesn't matter one way or the other. I know Burris rings are top shelf and will go that way.
Thanks again for the pic, that helped alot. Also might mention that you'r Ruger is very, very nice!!!!
Charlie

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
What you want, IMHO, is Burris Signature Zee rings. If your scope is 40mm objective or less, "medium" will do just fine. The new Ruger "combination" base will do you just fine, unlike the earlier "tipoff only " P.O.J.

BTW: With Burris, any ring set marked "Zee" is designed for a Weaver base. Any ring set marked "Signature" comes with plastic inserts and is available at extra cost, with an offset insert kit that will allow you to offset your scope.

Therefore, Signature Zee rings are Weaver base rings with the inserts. They also make Signature rings that are not for Weaver base, and Zee rings that do not have the inserts. Got it?

BTW, I have both a 10/22"T" and several CZ 452's. I like them all!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I prefer the Weaver Pro-View myself. Rings mount directly to the receiver. They're cheap and light, and won't get knocked off a flimsy tipoff rail if it gets dropped... Not as nice as the Signature Zee rings, but I like them better as I don't need a full length rail on my rifle. I think the Weaver has a cleaner look to them as well. ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
CharlieB said:
22fan,
Thanks, a picture is worth <well you know>.
Are those the med. rings? Looks like the 40mm scope fits very nice with that set-up. :t
Also you mentioned the Burris rings have the inserts. I have heard they eliminate the ring lapping. Is that true, or is that a toatlly different thing?
As far as the Ruger rings go, I have no intention of taking my 77/22 apart to check so it doesn't matter one way or the other. I know Burris rings are top shelf and will go that way.
Thanks again for the pic, that helped alot. Also might mention that you'r Ruger is very, very nice!!!!
Charlie
Yes, they are mediums and with the inserts you do not need to lap the rings. Good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OldSwede, Got it! Thanks
xenophobe, If the Ruger does not come with a base the Pro views look like a good option also. I looked at Weaver's web-site and a few retailers as well, but they are not listed. Mind telling me where you got them? Oh yea, I like the all buisness look of you'r gun. Very nice.
Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xenophobe
That looks like a Hogue stock? Also is that a 40mm scope, and what brand of scope is that? If that's a 40mm scope and a heavy barrel (whitch I assume it is) she sets right down on the barrel like it should. Once again,very well done! Thanks for the web-site, looks like they have the Pro-View rings and anything else a guy might need.
Charlie

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here's another vote for the Power Custom base with Burris Signature Zee rings (I'm pretty sure these are mediums). Scope is Simmons Whitetail Classic (6.5-20x50AO). This setup provides plenty of clearance, and is VERY sturdy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Daniel
Did you'r Ruger come with a factory base, and if so why did you choose the PC base over the factory?
I have ordered the Burris rings, but I'm hopeing to use the factory base if it comes with one. I checked on the Weaver Pro Views but they wanted $12 to ship a set of $15 rings.
Thanks for the pic. That is the first good pic of the factory stock I have seen.
If mine looks as nice as your's I will be very pleased!
Charlie

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info guys, but as I said previously, I am going to use a Nikon 3-9x40. I ordered the med. Burris rings and hope to use them with the factory mount. From what some of you fellows have told me, that combination should work.
I'm still not sure the 10/22T comes with a base. Like I said earlier, the Ruger web-site says the 22mag comes with a base, but the 22lr just says "drilled and tapped". I was wondering if Daniels came with a factory base.
I wish the danged thing would get here! I'm getting tired of talking about it. I'm ready to shoot it. :Blasting_
Charlie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.