Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,709 Posts
For a hunting rig, I'd get a VQ. The VQ THM barrels are light weight & perform well. They are only made in 16" length.

The Clark and GM barrels (which are steel) are very good barrels, but at 20", they are going to be too heavy to lug around the woods comfortably.

VQ, Clark, & GM are all excellent barrel makers. Weight issues aside, my best barrel has been my Clark.

· Registered
481 Posts
for Hunting I'd look towards the VQ, Magnum research or Whistle pig
very light.
I owned a clark midweight barrel chambered in the 17hmr. one hell of a barrel. great accuracy and the rifle functioned great with it. but it was to heavy for my tastes. I sold it to another member on the board.

I traded for a whistle pig. very light and accurate. I also own a GM .22mag barrel. it's also very accurate and heavy to boot.
i always seem to want to find out what's on the other side of the field and lugging those heavy barrels just isn't for me.

if you go with the all steel, i'd look at the mid weight's of Clarks.

· Registered
522 Posts
I would have to agree with P7 about the weight of these to hunt with. I like the idea behind the aluminum or carbon fiber barrels, just ain't tried one yet. The other type I have thought about would be VQ's muzzleweight barrel. They are only a pound more than the stock carbine barrel. Figure they shoot well, but again I have never used one of those either. Maybe someone else that has used some of these will imput their likes and dislikes.

· Registered
4,297 Posts
Another choice

I have the 17" GM SS Fluted 22 MAG barrel on my 10/22 conversion (set back) rifle, and wouldn't trade it for anything! With the 1:14 twist rate, it hangs the fully jacketed ammo in VERY nice groups at 100 yards, not at all like a 1:16 twist barrel, and the 17" length is a REALLY nice balance for offhand shooting, I wouldn't want to try to hold a bead on something at distance with a lite weight barrel unless I had a tree or something to brace against, the balance of the 17" bull barrel length, along with the more modern 1:14 twist rate (loves Winchester Supremes) makes that rifle a great choice for many occasions.
With a decent power scope, the thing is quite capable out to past where my shooting talent ends. :D
Tom at Staffords had a special price on some SS Fluted barrels for 100 bucks, might check him out. :t

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 22mag, so i probably won't be going on any wilderness pack in hunting trips where there are alot of concerns with weight. :)
Seriously, weight isn't an issue. Accuracy is however.
I looked at a couple of profiles of those that are concerned with weight. Since I'm only in my 50s the weight of a 22 doesn't concern me like it does you old timers. ;) ;)
The Clark sounds good. I may give it a try.
Thanks guys. Now go take a nap. :p :p :p
Charlie

· Registered
522 Posts
Skeeter

If you was to get real serious with the 17"GM barrel on a target, what size of groups at 100 you talking about with this 1:14 twist. I have seen those before on some web site and wondered about that very barrel, just not seen anyone say anything about one till you LOL.

Now as far as a nap or who is how old or young LOL, I would say that I am younger than you CB and I know for a fact that a scoped out rifle of 8 pounds is about all I want to carry very much. I can also assure most of you here I am smaller height but you would not want to rule me as a weakling either, I worked with metal, big heavy metal for the first 20 years after school and I can tell you right now, doing so and as much time as I did this every day till I dropped will either make you stronger or you will die trying LOL... I guess the bigger difference between the really old timers and just this ol'e fart here is I have a bigger area I like to stomp over LOL...

I guess what I would like to have would be a VQ receiver but not the stainless or aluminum models but one like it made from titanium. Now me being a guy who has worked with metal really close for the first 20 years after school I found I really like the titanium for not only its abilities as a strong light metal; but love the color it has and will keep its shape and color despite whatever its in or doing.

A 22mag receiver from VQ in that would scare the hound out of you I am sure LOL. This and a good choice THM barrel you would end up with a really lite weight rifle scoped out, you just could not pay for it LOL.

I have been wondering also how putting an aluminum barrel in an aluminum receive works out? Anyone have trouble with them not coming apart later on if you had to remove the barrel for whatever reason? Those two same metals together have a bad habit of gaulding together real easy, but then so does stainless LOL. I have seen over the years its been best to use different metals when using either one of these to keep the two parts from gaulding up. I am almost certain those with threaded barrel and receivers would have seen this if they ever tried to remove them apart and they were made up together dry. So any of you guys on the darkside seen or know about this possibility? Just something I have been thinking about. Thanks for the info guys too, just this Ol'e fart going, looking like this too :)

Edit: I just went looking for the 17" Clark barrel and all I have been able to find is they will cut them to any lenght you want. I have seen those 17" barrels somewhere and they was a good price. Where did they get off too???

· Registered
6,463 Posts
I have a GM fluted tapered barrel that CPC reamed out to 22mag for me. I'll probably have to use the lighter weight bullets to make it shoot good but that's fine with me = more velocity. Very light weight, 20" lenght, and an unusually beautiful finish. I also have an octagon tapered 17hmr around 21" that I can switch back and forth with. Now I just need a good base and QD rings. Who make a good set of QD rings that wont loose zero?

A packer stock would be nice too but that will have to wait. I owe too many people money right now.

swampf0x

· Registered
4,297 Posts
Moa

I've only grouped that barrel at 62 yards, where it can go under a half with Winchester Supreme, Remington Premier, and Federal Premium. I have wanted to shoot it at 100 for group, but have never spent the time, been stuck on HM2, but I am confident it will hold MOA at that distance. I'd like to think it will hold much tighter than that, but can't really say that until I've done it. :t
I think with the right tuning, the 22MAG is quite capable, but suffers a poor reputation for accuracy that isn't necessarily the case, especially the newer fully jacketed stuff. At 100 yards, I can tell you I don't miss ground squirrels, or anything else I am aiming at. :t
Staffords Sales, a forum sponsor, is where I have seen these barrels for 100 bucks. :t

· Registered
522 Posts
Skeeter

That is where I thought I remember reading it too on the barrel, they may have sold all for that price or something, not sure.

Swamp

Money always gets in the way around here LOL. Its not as that sounds either, I don't have so much laying around I have to use a frontend loader to move it so I can get my truck out LOL. Its the lack of:) You guys of the darkside have a good one this weekend.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
p7junkie said:
clark custom guns have three different lengths on their web site. you may want to give them a call.

no problems removing the aluminum barrel from the reciever.
When you order a barrel from Clark, they will cut and crown the barrel to your desired length. There is no extra charge for this (last time I ordered one was 2003, & I don't think that policy has changed.)

· Registered
522 Posts
Yeap I saw those and all, they just ain't the same as the 100 dollar 17" ones I saw listed somewhere before LOL. More bucks for these, but you do get to cut them to whatever lenght you want. I was really curious about the 1:14 twist though. Most of all other magnum barrels I see made are a 1:16. Its kind of misleading as to which would be better and for which ammo.

You would think the 1:14 would be better for the heavier bullets and the 1:16 for the lighter ones. Just never got to try both and a bunch of different ammo to know which one does what? You know like one does all of the ammo pretty good but this twist shoots this size and brand spot on. That sort of thing, heck either one may shoot fine and not much difference noticed from ammo brands and bullet weights, anyone know?

· Registered
4,297 Posts
same barrel

Ruger makes both lr and MAG's from the same barrel, saving them money, it has nothing to do with being more accurate, that is why the MAG's have a 1:16 twist, not because it suppossed to work well. The 1:14 works well with light or heavy bullets, even "Dynaturds" group well with it, that to me, was when I KNEW I had a shooter! :t

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.