Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 vs 77/22 barrels

1308 14
Forgive me if this question has been asked, but are 10/22 and 77/22 barrels interchangeable?

Thanks.
gkn
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
the main reason i tried this conversion; GM has/had running boar bbls
for $80.00 shipped. made up the spacer out of a large flat washer.

shoots very well when i do use it, and i wanted a 22" R/B bbl,

Rico....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Right and I see no reason to put a 10/22 barrel on a 77. Actually it's just better to get the right barrel for your gun.
Lots of guys have put 77/22 barrels on a 10/22, including me. My main reason is that I could get a 77 barrel that wasn't available for the 10/22. Also, GM frequently has barrels on killer deals for one platform or the other. There's a lot of motivation to put a 77/22 barrel on a 10/22 when the barrel only cost $35.

I also have both 77/22 and 10/22 guns and it's nice to be able to swap the barrels around if I want. Functionally, there's no difference between a 77 barrel or 10/22 barrel on a 10/22 once the spacer and shim are there.

·
Registered
565 Posts
chamber

Swampfox, some of the 77 barrels do have a tighter chamber, but from my experince it is a hit and miss thing. I now have 3 of the GM 77 barrels in 16.5" fluted sporter. One is stainless, the other 2 are blued. The chamber on the stainless one is so tight, there is no way it would work on a 10/22. It leaves rifling marks on the bullet and with certain ammos in my 77 it is hard to close the bolt. The difference though, is accuracy. The stainless is more accurate than the other 2 by a large margin. It is possible to put a 10/22 barrel on a 77, but it requires making a completely new chamber. That in itself is'nt a bad thing however, as you get a completely new tighter chamber, not just a partially tighter one. The one that I did, shoots very well out of my 77, but for anyone without the tooling to do the job, it would be cost prohibitive. Just my .02. Later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Q: Chamber differences aside, will I notice any difference in accuracy by using a 77/22 barrel w/ shim kit on a 10/22 action vs. the same barrel designed for a 10/22.

I'm having a helluva time finding a blued 10/22 running boar barrel so I'm leaning towards the 77/22 barrel + shim kit route.

Also, does anyone have any pictures of how the shim kit is supposed to work?
I believe the washer fits on the outside of the action but I don't know that for sure. As for the small nub, I guess that fits in the Vblock somehow.

Q: Finally, does the small metal nub adjust barrel droop?
Q: If so, I can also fix this (or may also need to fix this) with an adjustable v-block if I run out of adjustment on my scope, right?

Please advise.
-g

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Small nub?????? The only noticeable visual difference between the 2 barrels is the longer shank on the 77, and the extractor groove is in a slightly different location. By adding the shim kit, you are pretty much making the 77 barrel into a 10/22 barrel. Unless the chambers are different.............there won't be any accuracy increase or decrease between the 2 on a 10/22 platform.

swampf0x

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Q: Finally, does the small metal nub adjust barrel droop?
Q: If so, I can also fix this (or may also need to fix this) with an adjustable v-block if I run out of adjustment on my scope, right?

Please advise.
-g
The half moon piece (nub) doesn't help barrel droop. It's purpose is to rotate the barrel slightly since the 77/22 extractor slot is cut in a slightly different location than the 10/22.

You can still use an adjustable v-block with the 77/22 barrel.

The shim goes around the barrel shank before you install the barrel. It causes the barrel stub to seat a little farther forward inside the receiver.

Earl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks guys.
Based on what you've told me here, and what I've found via search, I'm essentially looking at two components for the 77/22 barrel to 10/22 actions

I see now that my confusion arose from my misuse of the term shim.

1) Spacer:
Essentially a washer drilled out to put the barrel the appropriate distance away from the action because of the longer shank on the 77/22. I originally thought this was the "shim" - hence the confusion.

It sounds like I can drill out a standard washer.
Pics of the spacer
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222742

Q: Do you have a thickness for the spacer I should use?

2) A woodruff key aka the "shim"
This was the mysterious half moon nub I couldn't figure out.
This allows the vblock to correctly fit the notch in the 77/22s.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228428
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222742

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodruff_key
Ace Hardware carries these apparently and if I understood it right from my phone conversation, my barrel from GM may also contain a few of these "shims" as well.

As for the difference in extractor slots, are you sure you aren't confusing the 77/22 with the 96/22? I only found references to the extractor slot in searches about using a 10/22 barrel on a 96/22...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Yes, I am sure about the half moon piece. It is part of the kit that adapts a 77/22 barrel to the 10/22.

It's purpose as I mentioned, is to cause the barrel to rotate slightly. It accomplishes this because one side is thicker than the other so a standard woodruff key will not work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.