Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 target stainless model

8424 Views 51 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  kyvenom
I picked one of these up today, looks to be well cared for, stock is very nice no dings, action is smooth, feels like it has a BX trigger, came with 3 magazines, and I think a Nikon 3-9x scope on it.

What would you experts say was a decent used price?

I want your input instead of me saying what I paid and having people rag on me... I haven't seen one of these for sale in any stores near me BTW, so when I saw it I was weighing options of buying a cheap one and building a target model, or trying the ruger built one, and maybe tweaking it. I am 99% sure it is 100% original, does not even have an auto bolt release, and the finish is in terrific shape as well.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I think any accuracy improvement over the Carbine comes from the added stiffness of the barrel and heavier laminate stock...and honestly, I've seen the same or better accuracy from the mannlichers, especially the laminate stock versions
I have heard good things about the mannlichers. I was going to get one but the pandemic ate it up... It was on the shelf for months in my favorite local shop, when I went to buy it, it was gone. So I got a Ruger Precision Rimfire instead, and I think I would have preferred the Mannlicher.

· Registered
74 Posts
It certainly is not a Walmart special. The target model was sold in various stores and available at online retailers.

That model has a heavy 20" barrel with a spiral design. It has a tighter chamber. It has a bolt unique to it. It has a lighter trigger.

When Ruger stopped producing this model, (that polished, spiral barrel could not have been cheap), CDNN snatched up a bunch and clearanced them out.

Hell of a gun.
where did you hear that the Target model had a tighter chamber and a unique bolt?
Where did you hear it did not?

IF a person bought the gun new, the tighter chamber and the different trigger, ("special target trigger", "target trigger", and "lighter, target trigger pull"), are mentioned in the manual.

The bolt Is visually different than others of that time. Since then, I have seen that bolt in other models.

· Registered
70 Posts
I have a stainless model I purchased new in the box. The owners manual does state that the trigger on the target model is different than the standard models. The parts list has different part numbers for the target model and all other models. the manual also states that a new trigger assembly must be factory fitted. The only difference in the bolts that I can see from reading the parts list is the target model is polished, where the standard is not. I see nothing about a tighter chamber.
All this said I still installed a Kidd single stage trigger in mine, and it made a huge difference.

Doug

· Registered
6 Posts
I have the target 1262 model and can attest its has a 2 stage BX trigger that none others have. Not so sure about the tighter chamber but it sure does shoots amazing well with CCI SV ammo and SK Std+. I just put 2-5 shot 1/4" [email protected] yesterday preparing for NRL22 match for tomorrow. I have changed out the trigger to a Timney and put a Victor Titan stock.

· Registered
20,844 Posts

· Premium Member
6,457 Posts
I have the target 1262 model and can attest its has a 2 stage BX trigger that none others have. Not so sure about the tighter chamber but it sure does shoots amazing well with CCI SV ammo and SK Std+. I just put 2-5 shot 1/4" [email protected] yesterday preparing for NRL22 match for tomorrow. I have changed out the trigger to a Timney and put a Victor Titan stock.
With all due respect and so the newbies that read this thread do not get confused .. The BX trigger is NOT 2-stage... just has a abundance of Pre-travel. ;)

This is the Only 2-stage on the market... https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Two-Stage-Trigger-Unit-for-the-22_p_10.html

And here is how it works...
according to this article the 1262 Target has what Ruger calls a "Unique two-stage target trigger"...but it's not a BX

http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/12/18/ruger-1022-target-model-1262-product-review/

· Registered
20,844 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
I have a stainless model I purchased new in the box. The owners manual does state that the trigger on the target model is different than the standard models. The parts list has different part numbers for the target model and all other models. the manual also states that a new trigger assembly must be factory fitted. The only difference in the bolts that I can see from reading the parts list is the target model is polished, where the standard is not. I see nothing about a tighter chamber.
All this said I still installed a Kidd single stage trigger in mine, and it made a huge difference.

Doug
The note about the tighter chamber MIGHT be in the manual multiple times, like the special trigger is mentioned multiple times, but it is at least mentioned under the warning regarding "stinger" ammunition.

· Registered
74 Posts
I have a stainless model I purchased new in the box. The only difference in the bolts that I can see from reading the parts list is the target model is polished, where the standard is not.
That may be the case. I do not have that firearm with me at this residence. I know that since then, other models have had polished bolts, or at least the outward facing surfaces on some are polished.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.