Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 question

1939 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  CATMguy445
Hello.
I`m not US based. I just saw there are some 10/22 imported and available to buy in my country (and belive me - they are rarer than gold here).

Questions (I need to know if 10/22 will fullfill requirements for local competition shooting).

1.Can 10/22 be loaded easily with 1 round without magazine - when in prone shooting position?
2.When shooting 1 round without magazine - will be empty case ejected from force of the shot, or will I need to remove it manually by pulling back the bolt? (I would prefer latter - cause I want to use sub-sonic ammo, and wish that whole force of exploding powder would go only to the bullet.

Thanks in advence.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6,330 Posts
Loading is trickey adn possibly dangerous.

Once loaded, no problems firing, bolt will cycle and case will eject.

If you are required to use as a single shot, there are factory 1 round mags, or you could maybe modify a 10 rounder

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No such restriction here as for buying mags. I`m curious about loading 10/22 with one round, cause local .22LR shooting competitions require to load rifle with only one bullet (then reload and so on...).
Direct loading without mag surely will be faster than pulling out mag, loading it with 1 round, puting it in (and so on).
Thanks for current replies BTW ;-)

· Premium Member
6,457 Posts
No such restriction here as for buying mags. I`m curious about loading 10/22 with one round, cause local .22LR shooting competitions require to load rifle with only one bullet (then reload and so on...).
Direct loading without mag surely will be faster than pulling out mag, loading it with 1 round, puting it in (and so on).
so, it's a timed/speed competition using autoloading rifles that requires a reload after every shot?? :coco:

· Registered
997 Posts
In answer to Question #1, a 10/22 can be loaded without a magazine inserted, but not easily, especially if you're using a sling in the prone position.

Question #2, assuming that the round in the chamber fires normally, it will extract and eject with no problem. In the case of sub-sonic ammo, you might have to change the recoil spring for a lighter one for reliable operation with sub-sonic rounds. You would need to test this, as some sub-sonic ammo will cycle the action without any problem.

However, if you're thinking about doing any serious target competition, I think that a Ruger American Rimfire bolt action .22 would be a much better choice than a 10/22. They use the 10/22 magazine, come from the factory with standard and Monte Carlo stock modules which allow use of either iron or scope sights, are easy to load single shot, and obviously will extract and eject anything you shoot in them. They're also available with either an 18" or 22" barrel, and either threaded or nonthreaded muzzle, hammer forged barrel, and the best part is that they aren't any more expensive than a 10/22, at least not in the U.S. They're also considerably more accurate than an unmodified 10/22.

I also think that after you try loading a single round in a 10/22 without a magazine, you'll find that it's much faster and a lot less hassle to drop the magazine, put one round in it, and put it back in the rifle and cycle the bolt.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Ruger's official instruction manual is incomplete with respect to single-loading without a magazine. All it says is that you can do it. What the manual leaves out is actually dangerous and can result in a slam-fire. Here is the problem: If you put a round in the chamber manually and then let the bolt fly forward, rather than easing it into place, the bolt or the extractor may slam into the case head with enough force to ignite the round, without your having pulled the trigger. This can happen because the bolt is not such a precision-fit as bolt-action bolts are, so it can be slightly misaligned and hit the case rim when it contacts the cartridge.

If you are careful to ease the bolt forward onto the round you should not have any slam-fires, but there is the chance that on rare occasions the case head doesn't seat properly in its pocket in the bolt, which would probably cause a misfire as the firing pin would not be able to reach the case rim.

When you use a magazine to feed the cartridge, the bolt strips the round from the magazine and the round slides upward into its place in the pocket of the bolt face. This ensures that the cartridge is properly positioned for the shot.

With practice, you can drop the magazine, load a round, and re-insert the mag in about ten seconds, all with your trigger hand. Since slow-fire stages typically allow one minute per shot, you should have plenty of time. It is perfect, it's a compromise, but it can work.

· Premium Member
750 Posts
It will still be a challenge. The ejection port is not very large, and the top of the receiver is covered, unlike a bolt action. Simply dropping a round into the port, even with a mag in place, is a recipe for a jam. The round needs to be guided into the chamber. Perhaps someone "out there" has a created a single-shot adapter which actually solves that problem.

Are you allowed to use multiple magazines, as long as you just load then with a single round? If so, then with a lever-style mag release like Tac-Sol offers, you can drop a magazine and reload a fresh one and recharge the bolt in under 2 seconds, with practice. Of course, if you have a 20-round string you'd need 20 magazines, or a friend to reload the empties for you ("happiness is a crew-served weapon").

· Registered
76 Posts
Hello.
I`m not US based. I just saw there are some 10/22 imported and available to buy in my country (and belive me - they are rarer than gold here).

Questions (I need to know if 10/22 will fullfill requirements for local competition shooting).

1.Can 10/22 be loaded easily with 1 round without magazine - when in prone shooting position?
2.When shooting 1 round without magazine - will be empty case ejected from force of the shot, or will I need to remove it manually by pulling back the bolt? (I would prefer latter - cause I want to use sub-sonic ammo, and wish that whole force of exploding powder would go only to the bullet.

Thanks in advence.
I saw a shooter using a "tool" to individually load rounds. It was made out of delrin (POM/acetal). And I do not know if he made it or bought it. It worked very well.

· Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I saw a shooter using a "tool" to individually load rounds. It was made out of delrin (POM/acetal). And I do not know if he made it or bought it. It worked very well.
Some kind of tool will help a lot. Big tweezers, forceps, something.

I STRONGLY suggest that you modify the OEM bolt latch to release easily (search RFC). Then latch the bolt open while you insert a round and let it down slowly.

With the mag out, you can stick a finger into the mag well to help insert the cartridge. Standing, that works fairly well with the gun pointed down. Prone might be awkward.

Shooting prone, I would not hesitate to leave the mag out. Or any position except maybe sitting. The risk is minimal.

Loading mags with one round works OK, too.

· Registered
997 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Ruger American Rimfire bolt action. This is from my post in this thread yesterday, in case you missed it the firet time.

Quote:However, if you're thinking about doing any serious target competition, I think that a Ruger American Rimfire bolt action .22 would be a much better choice than a 10/22. They use the 10/22 magazine, come from the factory with standard and Monte Carlo stock modules which allow use of either iron or scope sights, are easy to load single shot, and obviously will extract and eject anything you shoot in them. They're also available with either an 18" or 22" barrel, and either threaded or nonthreaded muzzle, hammer forged barrel, and the best part is that they aren't any more expensive than a 10/22, at least not in the U.S. They're also considerably more accurate than an unmodified 10/22.

The one thing I forgot to mention in that post is that the RAR also comes with an adjustable trigger which can be set as low as 3 pounds, and is very crisp, with almost no overtravel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.