Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 question

533 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  markdperkins
i just got a used 10/22 and im wondering if the stocks walnut or not. its really dark and has a glossy finish on it, the ones we have are not very glossy and are lighter. it was manufactured around 1985 i think.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it looks that way, its got pretty nice grain and the stain and clear job give it a nice 3d look, just wish it wasnt so dinged up. the plan was to buy it, refinish the stock, dye it dark blue, throw my new barrel on it and go. now in not sure i want to mess with the stock or not.

· Registered
2,523 Posts
Have fun!

loki993 said:
yeah it looks that way, its got pretty nice grain and the stain and clear job give it a nice 3d look, just wish it wasnt so dinged up. the plan was to buy it, refinish the stock, dye it dark blue, throw my new barrel on it and go. now in not sure i want to mess with the stock or not.
The stocks are pretty easy to refinish...and if for some reason you can't improve on that particular one there are so many out there for sale you could always get another one. I say go for it! There is so much advice on here for refinishing and so many of us willing to answer any question you may have, why not?

Blue can turn out awesome...IMHO.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
loki993 said:
I you get it cheap enough then go for it. You can strip off all the clear and stain and then you can tell if it is walnut or not. As for the dings, if they are dings and not chips then in most cases once you strip the stcok you canwet the damaged areas to swell the wood and then apply an iron to it and it will pull the dent or ding out. This will work on most blemishes unless the wood is actually broken at the edges of the ding and even then on some it will still look pretty good. you can let it dry for a few days and then refinish. Also, the Standard 10/22 has the barrel band and the walnut Deluxe has no barrel band. Some Deluxe Walnut stocks also had checkering some did not.

Mike

· Registered
2,523 Posts
Very good advice

mscales5 said:
If you get it cheap enough then go for it. You can strip off all the clear and stain and then you can tell if it is walnut or not. As for the dings, if they are dings and not chips then in most cases once you strip the stcok you canwet the damaged areas to swell the wood and then apply an iron to it and it will pull the dent or ding out. This will work on most blemishes unless the wood is actually broken at the edges of the ding and even then on some it will still look pretty good. you can let it dry for a few days and then refinish.
+1

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it does have the band, i know its not a delux, but i thought i heard somewhere on here that the older 10/22 standard carbines were walnut also, i just didnt know when they stopped doing that.

as for the stock, still dont know what im doing yet, probally definitly going to refinish it, dont know if im going to dye it, i need amother stock to put on it in the meantime. also this may sound stupid but how do i tell if its walnut by taking off the buttplate, eventhough im starting to think its pretty much not which is ok, that just means i can have some fun with it.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
YOu will be most likely to see the original wood color under the buttplate. Walnut will be darker then birch which is pretty light in color. When you sand walnut you will get a light redish brown color and birch will be more white. Walnut will be a little harder then birch. For the most part I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a nice piece of wood just redo it and if it turns out to be birch just stain it with some walnut stain and it will bring out the grain. If you want to dye it blue then hope that it is birch since it is lighter in color. Once you get it stripped and you still can't tell take it to a cabnit shop and ask them, they will know.

Mike

· Registered
2,523 Posts
Very true.

mscales5 said:
YOu will be most likely to see the original wood color under the buttplate. Walnut will be darker then birch which is pretty light in color. When you sand walnut you will get a light redish brown color and birch will be more white. Walnut will be a little harder then birch. For the most part I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a nice piece of wood just redo it and if it turns out to be birch just stain it with some walnut stain and it will bring out the grain. If you want to dye it blue then hope that it is birch since it is lighter in color. Once you get it stripped and you still can't tell take it to a cabnit shop and ask them, they will know.
If you think it is Walnut, I would go and get a Birch stock to dye blue personally. I would keep the Walnut for the Walnut colored stock...just my two cents. Great for tung oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.