Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Newbie...Stock question

363 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  wichy
O.K... Why do these fine rifles have only one screw holding the barreled action to the stock.. How does that work? I've never seen that before. And why is it done this way? Is it a disadvantage or does it have an advantage or what? Just curious... Loving my Race Rifle.. It's sweeet.. (and I hate using the phrase sweeet :D )
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking along the lines of a heavy free floated barrel hanging off the action.. It has got to put upward pressure on the rear of the action doesn't it? And with no screw in the rear, how does it hold tight? That's what I don't understand.

· Registered
623 Posts
Ah, there is a catch on the trigger group that holds the rear down (although not very tightly).

There is a mod you can do to add a second screw that holds down the back of the receiver, but in most circumstances, bedding the first couple of inches of the barrel usually eliminates most of the pressure upon the receiver. (at least from what I've gathered here).

· Registered
156 Posts
xenophobe said:
Ah, there is a catch on the trigger group that holds the rear down (although not very tightly).

There is a mod you can do to add a second screw that holds down the back of the receiver, but in most circumstances, bedding the first couple of inches of the barrel usually eliminates most of the pressure upon the receiver. (at least from what I've gathered here).
Bedding a "couple of inches" of a RRR's barrel would be quite a trick, I think. ;)

· Registered
156 Posts
I've seen the Rem597 in black/synth for $99 on occasion at Gander Mt. The 597 has a threaded barrel, twin action rails, built in bolt buffer, last-shot-stay-open, auto bolt release, decent iron sights, and two screws to hold the stock to the receiver. A very nice gun on paper--too bad they rarely function as a semi-auto!

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My next question is in the long run will my race rifle hold up? There is hardly any stock to bed the barrel down to.. That great big beautiful barrel is just hanging off the action... lol :eek: It's shooting wonderfully right now though.. Wolf Match Extra is holding right around 1/2" for 5 shots at 50 yards.. And I did it twice in a row with 10 shots :D .. I've never been able to do this with any rimfire other than the Rem 37 I once owned. :cool:

· Registered
161 Posts
J Beede, the 597 isn't that bad. My gun had a ton of function problems out of the box but these problems were easy to fix. I spent $50 on a new hammer and extractor from Volquartsen and bought the newest mags that they have. It works flawlessly now. I think that's part of the reason why remington doesn't sell more of them. If they actually worked out of the box, they would be golden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.