Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 10/22 from a buddy and we had it out shooting yesterday.

I discovered that if there is a round chambered, and the trigger is pulled WITHOUT releasing the safety, the rifle FIRES when the safty is taken off. Luckily it happened when zeroing the scope and the rifle was pointed down range.

I was able to recreate the scenario everytime the above procedures were followed, so it wasn't a one-time occurance.

Can anyone tell me what the probable cause of this is?

·
Registered
450 Posts
SOMEONE!!! Monkied with the trigger

Someone messed with your trigger mech. They did a VERY unsafe job at it too! I'd reccomendyou pull the hammer and sear out, replace the sear with a factory one, and put a VQ hammer in it. You should be good to go then. Do a search for "safety tests" and you will come up with a fairly comprehensive list of things to do to know your trigger IS or IS NOT safe :).

Good luck :D

Sincerely,
GAU-2

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
UNSAFE CONDITION....! !

reptiman,

The trigger mechanism of your 10/22 is UNSAFE ......! !

DO NOT LOAD OR ATTEMPT TO FIRE IT UNTIL IT HAS BEEN CORRECTED...! !

As GAU-2 has stated in his Post, you need a new hammer and sear for starters; might was well buy the "VQ" Target hammer, which will give you a SAFE and crisp 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 pound pull. It is available from several of RFC's Sponsors for ~ $33. PPD.

The "sear" [B23] is available from "Ruger" or "Brownells".
0 Brownells: #780-010-015 @ ~ $5.00
0 Ruger: B23

If you do not have the 10/22 INSTRUCTION MANUAL, a FREE copy maybe requested from "Ruger":
1-603-865-2442

Good Luck.....! ! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have a coworker bringing me in a copy of the manual and I will take it apart and see if any of the above mentioned parts are out of whack visually.

I'll post what I find.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just in case you don't believe the other guys: STOP! Sounds like an amature trigger job.
It can probably be fixed by someone that knows what they are doing but why even mess with it? You can get a VQ trigger for $35.00. As mentioned, I'd replace the sear, too.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Won't "See" Anything

reptiman,

and I will take it apart and see if any of the above mentioned parts are out of whack visually.
Unless you have calibrated bionic eyes, forget it......! ! :(

A botched trigger job [mis-ground hammer / sear surfaces] is only 1° off, or a few thousandths......! ! :eek:

You won't "see" anything.....! ! ;)

REPLACE the parts......! ! :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I am going to replace the parts, but what I meant to write was that I was going to check and see if there was anything obviously wrong while I am waiting for the new parts to arrive.

I just found out that there is a 10/22 "guru" that lives about 45 miles away so I will have him replace the parts and upgrade the trigger. I'll watch and learn so I can do the 'next one'.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Sounds to me that it's the disconnector that was messed with.

Safety holds sear up, then when taken off, the sear drops (due to a faulty disconnector) and then fires.

Perhaps even the slide hold open lever booted the spring, and the leg of the spring is pressuring against the sear foot.

My .03~

·
Registered
54 Posts
The nose of the sear is short. What is going on is when you pull the trigger with the safety on the sear breaks but the metal behind the edge is holding it back. When you switch the safety of it removes the sear nose support and bang.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief says : yes = the nose of the sear may be short.

BUT MY guess " the face of the HAMMER is alot shorter.
add A SEAR ENGAUGEMENT ( file job ) .

Ya get an accident waitin to happen.

When the ( non-gunsmith , magic file is applied) , and the pull
weight gets below 2 lbs on the factory trigger.
yer beggin fer trouble.
Note , that the safety cannot be applied ( on.) in the hammer is forward. If yours can ( i suspect ) , trash the hammer and sear.

replace with new.
CD.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are good. Especially you Chief--nailed it.

I finally got the 10/22 to a gunsmith that had replacement parts and he found that the previous owner had filed down the sear. I had it replaced with a volqurtzen (sp?) sear and all is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.