Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 facelift

1706 19
Hey guys.
I got a used 10/22 two years ago.
It already had a 16" black bull barrel of a unknown type and a hogue stock.
It has a bunch of trigger and action aftermarket parts that work very well and that I am very happy with..
And it is wearing a tasco 10-40 which is way too much scope for what I use it for.
I never even crank it up more then 10, sometimes 15 power when I am on a sandbag at the range.
It is pretty heavy how it is, too heavy for me at least, cant hold it still off hand.
So, the things I want to do in this "facelift" is change the scope, stock and barrel.

First off, the barrel.
Since I want to go light I have been thinking of the Magnumlite and Whistle pig barrels.
I really have heard good things about the magnumlite barrels.
But on the other hand I think the Whistle pig barrels are not that much more heavy then the Magnumlite and I think cheaper.
Plus they are just a few mins away from my house and it might be good to "Buy Idaho".(If you live in Idaho I think you know what the "buy Idaho" thing is)
So, what do you guys think?

Stock,
I was thinking something along the lines of a Boyd Blaster or a Fajen thumbhole silhouette.
Which one is lighter?
I am looking for a stock that is easy to keep steady when shooting off hand.
What do you guys think?

Scope,
I really have no idea in this area,
I am even thinking a red dot sight since all shots are about 25 yards to 50 yards.
Red dot sights sound good because they are fast, little and light, all things I am going for.
But I don’t know how well red dot sights do at 50 yards, maybe a 3 to 9 would be better.
That way I could keep it on 3 power for up close shooting and crank it up a little if I need it for a longer shot.
So if you guys could tell me what brands of red dots you have tried and liked it would be great.
And I already have an idea of what 3-9 I would get.

Well, these are the things I have been thinking about for my “facelift”
But if you know of something better in one of these areas please bring it up.
And if you could also tell me the price so I can get an idea of how much this "facelift" will cost.
Thank you guys for reading this/ helping.
Thanks again for your time.
Stumpy :)

PS
If any one has a gun set up with a Fajen thumbhole silhouette and a 16" fluted barrel( Like a Volquartsen S.S. match barrel with flutes and a comp) and happens to know how many pounds it is, please tell me ;D
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Stumpy,

You didnt memtion what the intended use of you rifle. Knowing that would help us to help you, but Ill give my $.02 anyway. :)

My rifle has a Houge stock, Magnumlite barrel and a Tasco AccuDot scope. I think this is the best set-up on the planet for plinking. Its light, accurate, and easy to aim and shoot. I can hit a can on a hill and shoot several more times as it rolls downhill. The rifle weighs about 4lbs to 4.5lbs and I can carry it all day. My only complaint is that I wish sometimes that I had magnification on the scope. You might want to consider a scope with magnification, 3-9x should plenty fo 50 yards.

As far as the Fajen stock, I have a thumbhole sporter stock. Its a nice stock, but much heavier than the Houge. It also looks stuby with the 16" maglite barrel.

Well, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Slipkid

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree with zukiphile: Sounds like you have a good gun. Build another one to your specs. If you look right, you can find the 10/22 carbines from $50 to $100 uses. Then go from there. Will give you two units, one for bench and the other for your lighter shooting.
also my .00002 cents worth. (I am cheaper).

4 left paws

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
[quote author=Coyote link=board=82;threadid=6710;start=0#17252 date=1024558384]
If you look right, you can find the 10/22 carbines from $50 to $100 uses.

[/quote]

If you dont mind my asking, where on Gods green earth do you find carbines for $50-100? I was going to order a new one from my range just to get a receiver and bolt. I would by a ruger receiver for $50!
Am I financially irresponsible, slow, or both? At shows in Ohio, one doesnt see many used for sale.

I console myself with the observation that guys who collect cars waste a lot more money than I do on guns.

·
Registered
312 Posts
zukiphile: Here in Idaho, you find them at yard sales. Have bought two, one for $50...needed work and the other for $100. Most of the folks selling them tell you they will not shoot. Hehe...I just replace the extractor that is missing and walla. (Think I should tell them what is wrong) (NOT).

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
[quote author=Coyote link=board=82;threadid=6710;start=0#17266 date=1024562519]
zukiphile: Here in Idaho, you find them at yard sales. Have bought two, one for $50...needed work and the other for $100. Most of the folks selling them tell you they will not shoot. Hehe...I just replace the extractor that is missing and walla. (Think I should tell them what is wrong) (NOT).
[/quote]

I am simultaneously jealous and relieved. Jealous at your good fortune, and relieved that I was not overlooking an opportunity in my neck of the woods.
I do not mind buying from my range too much even though it will be about $20 more than Wal-mart. "Supporting the team", you know.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have a fagen thumbhole sporter in walnut, a clark 16" hammer-forged barrel with volquartsen stabilization module clamped on, to9 base, weaver rings, simmons 1022T 3-9x32 a/o scope with butler creek flip up scope caps. Total weight is 7.45lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys, sorry for not telling you what I am gonna use it for...whistle pigs.
I know alot of people with alot of land that I am able to shoot them on.
But the rifle really did not work out for how I like to hunt them.

Slipkid,
I have been thinking about just keeping the hogue stock.
But I did not know if it was the stock that was making it very unsteady off hand.
There seems to be alot of stocks out there and I just wanted to see if there were any that were known as "The offhand stock".
But it would save me alot of money just to stay with the same one.
Sounds like a really nice light setup you have slipkid.
Thank you for your help and time with the reply.

Zukiphile,
I really like how the trigger is set up on this one, it is perfect.
So that is why I want to use this one.
But I was kind of throwing around the idea of buying a used one and slapping on the old barrel, scope and stock(if I get a new one).
And then play around with it and work on the trigger and use it as my learning gun.
Thanks for your reply.

Coyote,
What part of Idaho do you live in?
Yes, you are right, I do have a good gun right now but I really am not into benchrest shooting.
And I dont really need it for varmints that are at a little longer range because I have...other guns that do that ;D 8) ;D
Thank you for your help.

Lawboy
Thanks for telling me the total weight of your rifle.
Is it easy to keep steady offhand?
How do you like your clark barrel?
Thanks

Thanks again for your time guys.
So, what do you guys think of whistle pig barrels?
One other thing I was thinking barrel wise is that I could just put on something like a green mountain 16" with flutes and that will still be lighter then what I have and I have heard really good things about them.
And also, I forgot to ask about the Volquartsen THM/with the comp.
Thanks for the ideas guys!
Stumpy

PS
Thinking it over more, getting a new used gun and putting the old parts on and then playing around with the trigger and doing some other stuff to it on my own sounds like a blast. :)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
[quote author=StumpWater link=board=82;threadid=6710;start=0#17282 date=1024567523]

I have been thinking about just keeping the hogue stock.
But I did not know if it was the stock that was making it very unsteady off hand.
There seems to be alot of stocks out there and I just wanted to see if there were any that were known as "The offhand stock".

[/quote]

I only shoot off hand and have developed an affection for the Choate Dragunov. I just ordered my third - it was $80 with a cheek rest IIRC. They are inexpensive, light and durable, and give me an excellent cheek weld. With a CF barrel they make a gun too light for me to shoot accurately. (If you decide to get rid of your16" blue barrel, let me know - I was considering replacement of a 24" BBL)

However, my affection for these may not be widely shared here. I also very much like the Bell&Carlson Odessy for shooting offhand, but they are heavier and expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zukiphile,
Next time I see one of those stocks I will play around with it.
I think I have seen them before at gunshows.
All the people I have let shoot my gun with the hogue have said it was very unsteady.
So I know it is not just me.
Maybe I got a gun set up just right so it is very unsteady.
Who knows, but I will try to fix it.
I think I am gonna put all the old parts on a used one that I will pick up after I am done with this gun.
Thanks for your time :)
Stumpy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Stumpwater,I would sure put together a different gun to shoot(not tear apart a good 1).Each kind of shooting needs its own 10/22... Thats my story(to my wife)and Im sticking to it lol.Im up to 7 now,and my wife has 1.The one I built for her sounds perfect for what you are doing.It weighs just under 4 lbs.It has the volquartson thm barrel in silver finish,i put a volquartson tg 2000 on it (had it left from my bench gun after up-grading to the kidd),but a worked factory trigger would be fine.I modified a factory stock for lightness.then put on the atn ultra-sight.Of course I did all the internal stuff Ive learned on here.It is super accurate very light n quick to shoot.The holographic type sight really helps in the quickness,because your head position is not importrant as it is with open sights or scoped.

·
Registered
613 Posts
for the type of shooting you seem interested in, ie. hunting and walking the land, avoid the dedicated offhand stocks. The vertical pistol grips are very difficult to negotiate in the prone position. Also, they are uncomfortable in the traditonal sling carry position. Go with a more traditional stock design. The volquartsen sporter stock is a great choice, or maybe a boyds ross witha thumbhold and slanted pistol grip. As far as the trigger,you can use that current trigger on the new rifle, just swap them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marksman 1022,
Thats the idea I have been throwing around.
The gun does pretty good how it is right now and I would not want to mess up something that is working.

Lowboy,
I would really most likely be shooting offhand most of the time.
I really do not like getting down on the ground because I am not shooting on a nice grassy lawn.
But I think you have a really good point Lowboy.
Maybe if you knew you were gonna have to shoot prone with one of those stocks you could throw on an extra bi-pod... maybe that would help. (level it out)
I think I might try the one thats on it and see how it works with a light gun for all around shooting.

Thanks again for your time with helping me.
Stumpy ;D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Slipkid,my wife was new to shooting,and had problems getting a good sight picture through my scopes.She didnt want to shoot in competitions so we didnt care about the sight system being magnified enough to shoot 1 holers.So it seemed like the perfect sight for her.It is a holographic sight simular to the bushnell but I feel with better features,you can choose from 4 different reticles: 1)a 1 moa dot 2)a crosshair 3)a dot with ring 4)and a dot with ring with crosshairs on the outter of the ring.You can turn a dial on the rear of the unit to select the reticle you prefer without changing your zero.The sight also has a rheostat switch with 11 positions(midway catalogue says 10 but it has 11) to select the brightness you desire for your conditions.it is fully adjustable for height and elevation,and mounts great on a standard T-09 Weaver rail.I was worried about the unit being bright enough to see in our west Texas desert sun but was pleased that even on the brightest days I dont turn it up but to the next to highest setting.After I completed her gun we went out and I coached her through sighting it in,it took her about 2 minutes to have it 1 inch high at 25 and centered, after she did I shot a "fast as i could pull the trigger"group of 10 rounds at 25 meters.We then went down to look at the targets.Boy was I surprised that my fast offhand group was only about 1 inch.I have gotten to like her gun with that sight for quick shooting so much that Im building one for me too.For rabbit ,squirrel,or other quick shot walking hunting im completly sold on the atn ultra sight.Its by no means a bench rest sight but is great for its intended use.Sorry this post was so long.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maskman1022,

Thanks for the response. I checked the ultra sight on Midways webpage. Some folks had less than glowing reviews of the sight. I think Ill wait on that one. I wish Tasco still made the Optima 2000. Ive seen that a few places still have them but they want $300 for them (they sold for as little as $159 while still in production). Oh well, thanks again.

Slipkid

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey everybody,
I just weighted my 1022 at 7 lbs.
Walmart s/s limited edition Mannlicher laminated beech stock with carbine barrell - $225.00
Simmons 3x9x32 1022T scope w/ PC weaver base & Burris rings - $160
Hornet Comp trigger group w/ VQ parts - $145
PC Titanium bolt handle - $48
VQ bolt buffer - $5
and a soon to be CPC bolt and barrel job for $120

I like the stock protecting the whole barrel when I'm bashing thru the bushes.

Take a look at the pricy Nikon Monarch red dot - around $250 but pretty awesome with variable dot size & intensity - Even tho the Simmons weighs 12 or so ounces - I'm gonna put it on my dream target model with a B&C Odessy stock and somebody elses barrel.
Mathmatics: 1 10/22 = 2 10/22's

·
Registered
87 Posts
Offhand Unsteadiness

The originator of this thread complained his Hogue stocked, heavy barrelled 10/22 was too unsteady offhand. Heavy barrels seem steadier than light ones offhand, and I sure doubt the problem was the Hogue stock. I'm betting the "unsteadiness" was the result of the high magnification of the scope. With 10x as it's lowest power, I'll bet this gun would feel ten times steadier by just switching to the reddot sight.;)
Steadiness is in the eye of the beholder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.