Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 ejection problems

886 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Ruger#1 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
This is probably a dead horse subject but I am having lots of ejection problems with my 10/22. I get stovepipes on the order of 1, 2, sometimes 3 per magazine. I read somewhere that ejection is a function of the magazine so I bought a new ruger mag but I'm still having the same problem. I'm shooting standard velocity lead bullets (Aguila SE). It isn't quite so bad if I'm shooting the hyper-fast stuff like Stingers or Velocitors but it still does it. This is a newer rifle, I guess I have about 2 bricks thru it and have the Adams and Bennett .920/ Hogue overmold stock combo installed. This problem dates back to before I did the barrel and stock tho.

Thanks in Advance,
Ruger#1

P.S. I tried to do a forum search but I get a message that the search function is disabled.

#2 ·
Im new here to, search never has worked for me.

Main thing is. Shoot 2 bricks of HIGH Velocity ammuniton (2 bricks is 1000 rounds)

Since its new did you clean out the ruger when you first purchased it. This has been recomended a lot of times. Since they put a protetive coating that is not lube and causes action/ejection problems.

Do the Magazine Cleaning.

If you look around there are tons of suggestions in here somwhere.

#4 ·
Stovepiping

Ruger#1,

First, you shouldn't be shooting 'Stingers' in a Bentz chambered barrel...! ! :(

Stovepiping is caused by the slow or incomplete cycling of the bolt; this maybe caused by a host of reasons...! ! :(
0 New 10/22
0 Standard Velocity or Subsonic ammo
0 Mods to trigger group
0 "Ruger" 'preservative' gumming-up action
0 Wrong lube
0 Misaligned barrel extractor slot
0 Etc...

Reads this thread: Action Problem

It just about covers all the possibilities...! ! ;)

Also, read the "Sticky" Post at the top of this Forum on "Magazine Service"...! ! :)

Good Luck...! ! :)

#5 ·
Stingers

Why shouldn't I shoot stingers in a bentz chambered barrel? Other than they won't group to save my neck I mean.

Thanks for the hints all, I'll try all of the above. I already found the Mag service link a few weeks ago and have done the 4 flats extra. Where is the cheapest source for the volquartzen stuff? I think I might get an extractor and a mag release extension.

Ruger#1

#9 ·
I already found the Mag service link a few weeks ago and have done the 4 flats extra
I was having the same prolem whith mine and tried the 4 flats but that wasn't enough, I had to turn mine 8 to 12 flats and I also read someone's post on here that said they had to do like 20. that is total after the spring competely relaxed I am not sure what you meant by "extra".

#10 ·
Torque A Total Of 8 'Flats'

Lance9876,
14. You need to tension the spring by winding the spring retaining cap in a clockwise direction. Start by taking up all the slack in the spring, verifying that the long rotor vane is visible between the cartridge feed lips. Note that the spring retaining cap has six flats on it. With all slack removed, turn the cap four flats more to tension the spring. Push the cap into the mag shell, then tighten the screw. [Magazine Service]
May I suggest that you add four more 'flats' to the 'cap nut's torque' recommended in the above Web Site's instructions on reassembly.[BigMike]
The "Magazine Service" instruction recommends four 'flats'; I recommend that you add four more 'flats' for a total of 8 'flats'...! ! :)

Tighten the through screw, and then, back it off 1/8 of a turn so as not to bind the rotor. ;)

If you had to go to 20 'flats', you have:
0 A dirty magazine.
0 A rotor with molding flash on the vanes.
0 Your 'through screw' is too tight.
0 Magazine is touching sides of stock.

Good Luck....! ! :)

#12 ·
Update

Great news, I installed the new Volquartsen extractor and extended mag release today. I just got back from putting 6 mags of standard velocity lead ammo thru it without a single stovepipe!
I did have 2 failure-to-feed malfunctions but that was from a dirty magazine I think... it's had about 400 thru it since the last cleaning.

Thanks for all the help,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.