Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
im kicking around the idea of building a 10/22
is there a way to get a complete action and build the rest of the gun custom? does anyone online have them or would it be more feesible to buy a complete rifle and start from there using just the action and bolt assy
i know the reciever would have to go throught the ffl dealer
which wont be a problem any suggestions would be great!!
thanks guys
divr6347:t :t

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
There are a couple reciever/tg combos in the for sale forum. The price is $110. If you have to pay more than $20 for the FFL transfer you will have almost the price of a complete 10-22 carbine. If you have to pay more than $10 for shipping you have now payed the same amount as a 10-22 found on sale.

You can usually find them at pawn shops for around $100 so if you are planning on customizing it why pay the same amount for just the parts you are going to use when you can recoup some of the money by selling the barrel and stock. It may be only 20 or 40 $$ but that could mean the difference between a Weaver T-09 mount and a Leupold. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
on the same ideas that cjsdad had...

why not buy a complete 10/22 new and use it to learn with. You can learn to bed the barrel in the factory stock, then add a target barrel and bed it again, all the while you can go shooting with it and see the accuracy changes for each modification that you do.

and this way, you aren't learning something like bedding on your brand new stock and barrel and finding out that you screwed it up.

just my thoughts..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Considering the effort.....................

Stratcat is right. The simplest/easiest way to go is to buy a complete new "basic" 10/22 and start from there. My last one cost $150 at Dick's Sporting Goods with no searching/tax/shipping or FFL arrangements.

You'll have something to shoot immediately and a basis for comparison as you make modifications.

Extra "parts" can be experimented with or sold for a few bucks to ease the pain a bit.

I've used this approach three times and don't see any downside to it.

John

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
the best I see recievers go for is around 100 bucks, by the time you pay someone to do the FFL transfer (another 20 bucks) you are into the reciever for 120 bucks, you still don't have a trigger group or anything else. (you can figure 30-75 bucks used for a trigger) you've done lost on what you hoped to accomplish. The only way buying just a reciever works is when you have a bunch of spare parts laying around and can put a gun together from them. I built my second 10/22 this way, I had an extra barrel (3 actually) and an extra trigger from the replacement with a VQ, I pretty much had everything I needed so I bought just a reciever and put it together.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10/22 ACTION

HEY GUYS
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES
AND INFO
I THINK EVERYONE IS RIGHT I SHOULD START WITH A WHOLE RIFLE AND BUILD FROM THERE
HERE IN MY AREA OF CALIFORNIA MY LOCAL GUN SHOPS STINK
SO I THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK AROUND THE NET SEE IF I COULD FIND SOMETHING DESCENT FOR A GOOD PRICE
THEY SELL THEM HERE USED FOR $200
AND THE GUYS WHO I TALKED TO ABOUT USED ONES SAID
(I CAN GET YOU A NEW ONE FOR $189)
IMAGINE THAT
ANYWAYS THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLIES
THIS IS A GREAT FORUM!!!
DIVR6347
:) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.