Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be many different experiences regarding the conversion of 10/22 Mag to .17hmr. Some conversions work great, some have lots of problems. I'd like to get a poll of everybody who's done a .17 hmr conversion (from a 10/22 Mag).

What parts did you use?
Single or Double extractor (if double did you remove one)?
Does the rifle work well?
Post a picture if you have one.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My conversion:

10/22 mag with double extractors (I put a VQ in the outside extrator & left the factory "inside" extractor in place)

Clark 16" fluted .17 hmr steel barrel
VQ extractor, WK buffer, VQ TG2000 trigger

Mine works great. I get a stovepipe about every 500 rounds.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My Conversion:

10/22 Magnum with double extractor. I use a VQ extractor and removed the inside extractor. Clark 18" factory Contour 17HMR barrel. WK magnum bolt buffer. Factory trigger with set screw in the sear. AMT stock inletted for the Mag. I get a stovepipe about every other magazine. I have a case head bulge every now and then.

Teaus

·
Registered
125 Posts
My Conversion

10/22 Mag single extractor replaced with Vq, WK magnum buffer Kid super match trigger shooting through a Clark 21.5 inch stainless fluted barrel it shoots very well no ftf or fte, slight case head bulge sometimes. Pic is old it didn't have Kid trigger or Nikon scope on it back then.

Shing

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
After some tinkering, mine works great, I have done the molly fusion treatment now so I want to test some more, I was going for a long time with no jam or malfunctions of any kind. Thanks ChiefDave for the help!! (not sure if I have said that enough yet)

Clint

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clint said:
After some tinkering, mine works great, I have done the molly fusion treatment now so I want to test some more, I was going for a long time with no jam or malfunctions of any kind. Thanks ChiefDave for the help!! (not sure if I have said that enough yet)

Clint
Clint,

What type of equipment did you use to make your conversion?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
10/17

Mine is a single extractor with a Whistle Pig 20" in a Revival Explorer with a Bushnell 3200 10X mildot. VQ hammer & mag release. It takes spells where spent cases don't clear the chamber. I've "Flitzed" the chamber with a .22 cal mop in a drill and that seemed to help some. The gun is a dream to carry around in a dog town and is very accurate.

DRob

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 10/17 is a single-extractor (VQ exact edge) with a factory 77/17 barrel and Artifex shim kit. Very accurate gun and I rarely get a stovepipe.

My previous 10/17 was the same receiver with a WhistlePig 10/17 barrel, same single extractor, no shim kit. This was a disaster, I had 100% extraction failure. The barrel was returned for a refund.

I'm planning to try a GM 77/17 barrel with shim kit next.

totem

·
Registered
842 Posts
I heard a couple complaints from when people bought factory 10/22 mags that things were wrong right out of the box

It was probably fluke but it makes you wonder :confused:
I just got a new one back from them as the first one was sent back for bad barrel alinmnet with the receiver . I ran out of windage with three different scopes.
The second one came and it was worse , and they said send it back to ruger . I ended up shimming the barrel at the receiver to alline the barrel square to the receiver . And it is common with these guns

·
Registered
43 Posts
10/17: Does yours work?

I took the barrel off of my 96/17 Ruger and it works like a charm. No modifications needed. Just be sure that the slot for the outside extractor does not rub against the extractor. ( keep it centered ). My 10/22 mag has only one extractor and I use the Volquartsen replacement. On the other hand, it seemed to me after I made the change that I was wasting my time since the two cartridges are so similar that I shouldn't have bothered. Particularly since the 22mag barrel is threaded for a silencer and that's the way I use it mostly. I don't want to go through all the trouble to get a new permit just for a silencer for the .17 barrel.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I got a chance to shoot the 10/17 again this past weekend. This time out I didn't have any stove pipes as before. I added about 1/5 length of another Magnum spring to the guide rod, and thats seems to have done the trick for the stove piping. Still a bulged case I had 2 out of 50 rounds shoot. I Was using Winchester ammo.

ANTEAUS said:
My Conversion:

10/22 Magnum with double extractor. I use a VQ extractor and removed the inside extractor. Clark 18" factory Contour 17HMR barrel. WK magnum bolt buffer. Factory trigger with set screw in the sear. AMT stock inletted for the Mag. I get a stovepipe about every other magazine. I have a case head bulge every now and then.

Teaus

·
Registered
483 Posts
no problems from mine. I'll try to post a pic later
magnum barrel
cst bolt stop
vq extractor (double extractor)
CPC headspace
vq hammer
weaponkraft bolt buffer
clark custom mag release
the case buldging is about the same as Anteaus about 1 in 25.

·
Registered
211 Posts
22 Mag, not .17, I had good reliability with the factory bbl VQ extractor and second extractor installed, and a modified PC firingpin. My Clark 22 mag bbl gave me fits on ignition and function until I found that the Walther-Lothar BBL that gave excellent accuracy had a chamber so loose the bullet would seat in different positions. I can't send the bbl back because I turned it down to a factory like contour. So, I've ordered a reamer and will make a new bbl with a quality blank.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Have a BC barrel and BC stock on mine. Single extractor. The barrel actually works very well in terms of accuracy/precision. The barrel channel was freefloated. Off the bat, I had numerous FTEject (stovepipes). I had rounded the bottom rear of the bolt but the failure rate was only very slightly reduced. What kept me at it to get the gun to function properly was the exceptional accuracy I was getting despite the failures.

I had eventually installed an Volq Exact Edge and the failure rate dropped dramatically. Including all of the rounds fired since the extractor replacement, I would guess my failure percentage to be less than 0.5% and dropping as I shoot more.

(The gun also has a Kid in it which did not seem to affect reliability any.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
It works

No problems from mine.
Clark .17 fluted 16.5 barrel
VQ extractor (single extractor)
CPC headspace
PC steel firing pin
Weaponkraft bolt buffer
VQ mag release
Custom Stainless, polished, guide rod, (Skeeter's help)
Hogue overmolded stock
Springfield scope (I think a fixed 6x40?)
Polished trigger internals by me.

I finally shot it yesterday...........it works awesome on rabbits. The very first shot out of the rifle failed to eject. That was the only malfunction. I simply cycled it by hand and continued to shoot it.

Jett
ps thanks clint for the barrel advise. The 16.5 fluted worked out really good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.