Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a thing for this little 17 Aguila. I know 17HMR is all the rage, but not fo rme (yet).

Also known as the 17 High Standard, there is little info out there and I have read all threads posted here about it and am left with a few questions.

I want to know if i can (easily) convert a 10/22 to fire the 17 Aguila ONLY!!!!
I know that the 17HMR's can use the 17Ag/HS.
I know that a 10/22 conversion to 17HMR requires changeing the weight of the bolt/etc to allow proper cycling.
BUT: I only intend to use the 17Ag/HS...
Given that, if I was to change the 10/22 (in 22LR) barrel to a properly chambered 17Ag/HS, do I need to change anything else?

If i do, what else needs to be changed out?

And of course, where can a guy get 17 Ag parts?

Thanks, and happy 4th!
C-

· Registered
148 Posts
You can find more information about the 17 High Standard (Aguila) at http://www.marlinowners.com under the rimfire forum. "Andrew" has done lots of work with it.

I called up Green Mountain rifle barrels and ordered a 17 High Standard barrel from them direct. Very good price but its been about 6 weeks since I got it, so call and check. In my July/ August NATCHEX Shooters Supplies on page 61 they have the .17 Aguila for $3.92 a box ... S&H a little high. Others that carry ammo listed on above MO forum. ALSO on page 74, Natchez lists a Clerke International barrel for .17 Aguila/PMC Barrel (20 inch .920 blued), I'm NOT SURE what PMC has to do with it. It is priced @ $99.95.

I got a new bolt from Randy at CPC (see forum supporters for RFC). This was to go into new receiver for this project, but I put into an older 10/22 as found that bolt weights 1/2 ounce more. So I will use that bolt. JUST because I have it. The receiver will be a M.O.A. cast stainless but they are moving, so will not have available for a few months. I have another build going so that a wait is not a problem. Also, except for the ruger bolt, will be custom projects.

I have a Marlin 917 M2 so will only build a MOA/17 HS (Aguila) for semi-auto project.

The only thing I have read about the 10/22 Aguila conversion by Andrew is that to use new hammer and recoil / bolt handle springs.

Jump in the waters warm LOL Good luck with your .17 Aguila. Mike

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent

Sir that is exactly the kind of direction I needed!
Let me read through all the stuff I find there first, But thanks 1000000 in advance for the info!
OK: 1/2 ounce heavier bolt, hammer , springs, ..... I'll post back.
C-

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just preference

There would be no advantage ballistically. The 'advantage' if you want to call it that, is to further expand the possibilities of a 10/22 with just a barrel change.
I have alot of old posts about a combo-packer-folder ('tri-folding-stock') and I just got carried away with how much can be done to a 10/22 by just flipping down the take-down lever, and changeing a barrel:
factory, iron sights;
barrel mounted, scout type scope set up;
threaded for whatever muzzle device;
18" or longer than factory barrel;
an arrow-shooting barrel!
and now...

A NEW CALIBER!!!

See, to convert to HM2, I would need to change the bolt/rod/handle mass somehow. Maybe I am weak, but I don't care for that- I personally find getting the bolt handle/rod and bolt back in and working the most annoying part of the disassembly of a 10/22. But just one switch out of a barrel, and now i can safely shoot the 17Ag/hs!!!

So the only advantage is that I think its cool. You may not see that as too compelling an arguement.

Happy 4th!
C-

· Premium Member
1,937 Posts
10/17 Aguila (HS)? easy conversion?

So you want to play with an Aguila 17.

conversion needs :
A barrel in 17 hs from Green Mountain .
Bolt, be sure that there is no champher on the back of the bolt, stock ruger bolt is best,
Trigger assembly , you will need a heavier hammer spring,or add another
hammer strut washer to the one you got.

Get a couple of brand new Ruger magazines .

Yer set to go. :D

S/SP :)

· Registered
1,230 Posts
cpileri said:
I have a thing for this little 17 Aguila. I know 17HMR & HM2 is all the rage, but not fo rme (yet).

Also known as the 17 High Standard, there is little info out there and I have read all threads posted here about it and am left with a few questions.

I want to know if i can (easily) convert a 10/22 to fire the 17 Aguila ONLY!!!!
I know that the 17HM2's can use the 17Ag/HS.
I know that a 10/22 conversion to 17HM2 requires changeing the weight of the bolt/etc to allow proper cycling.
BUT: I only intend to use the 17Ag/HS...
Given that, if I was to change the 10/22 (in 22LR) barrel to a properly chambered 17Ag/HS, do I need to change anything else?
The chamber is the 17 HS (High Standard design) The round is the 17 Aguila which has a 20 grain slug instead of the 17 grain bullet of the 17HM2. This chamber has a longer freebore which works to reduce the pressure to the point that no additional mass should be needed on the bolt - or that was the thinking in the design of the chamber. PM sent as well.

· Registered
623 Posts
As to the no additional mass issue:
Back to the 10/22 Ruger. When we first tested the 17 Aguila-barreled 10/22's we got inconsistent accuracy and wide velocity swing that couldn't be attributed to the ammunition. After a couple of cold sodas and a half a bag of jerky we determined that the high recoil energy of the 17 Aguila cartridge was overcoming the mass of the Ruger's breechblock and hammer.
Apparently the .17 HS and .17 Aguila are slightly different:

Now is probably a good time to explain the differences between the 17 High Standard chamber and the 17 Aguila cartridge.

There is currently no 17 High Standard cartridge. The 17 High Standard exists solely as a chambering offered by High Standard Arms of Houston, TX. When the 17 High Standard chamber is compared to the 17 Aguila chamber you'll see that the distance from the rim face to the shoulder is longer in the 17 High Standard chamber and that there is better than three-tenths of an inch of free-bore ahead of the chamber. I assume that the free bore is meant to move the peak pressure down the barrel away from the chamber; much in the manner of Roy Weatherby's popular centefire magnum rifles which utilized free-bore to the control pressures generated by their high-intensity hunting rounds. High Standard chambers their "Victor" series of handguns with this chamber and the freebore might prevent these fine target autos from taking an unnecessary beating. This is conjecture on my part but it makes sense. The Aguila-spec chamber has no free-bore.
from: http://www.jesseshunting.com/articles/guns/category8/36.html

In any case, since you're not reloading, from reading that article (which has one of the original developers for the .17 Aguila observing), you won't really gain anything by chambering JUST for the .17 Aguila. Not converting to .17mach2 might present durability issues, and doing the full conversion will allow you to shoot both cartridges...

Also, Lilja has tested the .17 Aguila in the .17mach2 barrel:

http://www.riflebarrels.com/whatsnew/17long_rifle.htm

· Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief Says : You can fire a 17 Aguila in A 17 m2 chambered barrel.
might not be too accurate.
The 17Aguila is based off a 22 LR case , necked down.
The 17M2 is based off of a 22 LR Stinger case necked down.
thus there will be some "gap" as the 17 Aguila is chambered.

I have set up many rifles for the 17 cal. ammo , some - ya streatch the recoil spring a bit , some you camfer the rear of the bolt - some ya don't. it all just depends on the rifle you convert. NOTE : I HAVE YET to add weight to the bolt or chargibg handle. that is a myth to sell the shooter extra "unneeded'
parts.
conclusion = save headaches = just go for the best , most accurate available= the 17HMR

CD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.