Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:54 PM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mk 2 international barrel

what size thread is the barrel chamber please and will the .300 bsa sherwood barrel screw straight on.....many thanks
Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Yank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Making popcorn!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:24 AM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ooops do i need to put a tin hat on here lol
not familiar with the small frame martinis only their larger brothers.
was looking over the mk 2 international and realisded how strong the action is and how well made they are.
always fancied a cadet but prefer the .300 round instead and thought if the 2 could be used together.....unlike you lot its a lot harder over in the uk to do these things so this is only in my head etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Dave 101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am in the UK also , my question would be why ? Finding a gunsmith to take this sort of work on would probably be impossible , why muck two rifles up to make a mongrel , why not just enjoy each as they are ? There are various rifles already out there in other calibres , just a case of finding one .

Dave
Old 09-17-2017, 12:07 PM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hi dave
i know a good gunsmith but was just wondering if they were the same thread size.
just curiosity thats all
Old 09-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Sorry, but will this gunsmith tackle the RF to CF issue as well?
Old 09-17-2017, 10:07 PM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is my opinion based having worked on one International in my shop 35 years ago, but I have worked on lots of other Martini's.

I don't think the International could be modified for a .300 Sherwood. The Cartridge is to big.

I believe the International has been rechambered in .22 Hornet, so the conversion from Rimfire to center fire may be possible. But even then I can't point to a credible reference that says that has been done.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 AM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i thought you be able to adjust the breech height to alter the firing pin strike like on the large frame martini.
i read of centrefire conversions with the martini 12/15 models so i presumed the international series be the same....like i said gentlemen i know nothing about the small frame martinis even though i use to shoot a club gun 20 years or so ago,
all this started as a friend needed an extractor for his and when i saw it i thought they were very well engineered and extremely strong receivers
Old 09-18-2017, 04:54 AM
Dave 101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another problem I could imagine might be the loading ramp angle as the .300 is a long cartridge at 2.02 " .

Dave
Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Yank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote from Bob Snapp re International action, "There's no room for anything."
Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 PM
MARTINI SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
i thought you be able to adjust the breech height to alter the firing pin strike like on the large frame martini.
i read of centrefire conversions with the martini 12/15 models so i presumed the international series be the same....like i said gentlemen i know nothing about the small frame martinis even though i use to shoot a club gun 20 years or so ago,
all this started as a friend needed an extractor for his and when i saw it i thought they were very well engineered and extremely strong receivers
Would you have to have the modified rifle reproofed.???? Tony
Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 AM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i dont own either calibre and if i did i would choose a cadet or a .300 sherwood.
i was just thinking outside the box and wondered if it could be done like calibre changes on other small frame martinis.
i suppose you would have to have reproofed here in the uk, not sure about the usa.
i wouldnt know how to ask my feo about a variation for this hybrid martini if it could be done that is lol.
next time i see my rfd mate i will ask him as he is a small frame martini nut
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 PM
DoubleD
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I still think the problem is the action is not big enough.

The international is quite different than Francotte.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 AM
loiner1965

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ahh right now i understand why i havent seen any international conversions douglas.....but i bet someone has done one.
would be a cracking rifle if it could be done
Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 PM
rick w.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a BSA International MKII LW that I rebarreled to 17HM2 using a Shilen barrel here in the states.

I hear you on the quality of these rifles, really shoot well. My particular one is a lefty.

When I did the work to convert to HM2, I was pretty hard over for a hornet. I studied the action and extractor, and with a touch to the extractor and lowering of the firing pin in the breechblock, I believed it would work. That way the action timing I felt would remain constant, kinda like doing a Ruger No.1 to rimfire; same basic concepts and machining operations.

However, extractors for the International at the time were really hard to come by. So I wimped out for a easier program of 17HM2 which I figured I could bump up to the 17HMR or even the real goal of 22 Khornet. But it remains a 17HM2. I see now that a fellow in OKC has international extractors made from scratch for sale, about 100 bucks per.

I just made the new barrel shank like the original. The threads I cannot remember offhand but were English, probably in the 16-20 tpi range(never wrote it down). I have the loose International barrel and will actually measure if you wish for tpi and shank dimensions. The shank is about half threads and the other half is smooth(tight fit into the action). The barrel face receives the forked extractor with a projection over the boreline. I feel that the martini International shank is a bit more effort than the Cadet shank, but just my opinion from doing both.

I quickly compared the MKII International takeoff barrel to a Cadet take off barrel, the threading is no where close with the Cadet being much coarser in makeup, perhaps around a 14tpi?. I only have access to the International MKII and the Cadet, others I am unfamiliar with.

As I am sure you know, the centerfire updates to the International will be limited by the length/depth of the action. I feel quite sure that the hornet will slide in ok, but have not thought about other options as the international extractor ears are not that thick, but would do for the hornet head size. Not so confident that a larger like the 218 Bee would work without some study here............

I have heard that a International was done in 222 remington FWIW. He did his own floating extractor that slid to the side and then snapped into the rim recess.

FWIW,

Last edited by rick w.; 09-21-2017 at 06:44 PM.