Mags were a pain to find, so I made my own! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:50 PM
JRucker2004

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mags were a pain to find, so I made my own!

I've had my izhmash 7-2 for a while, and enjoy shooting it, but hate two things about it:
1. The mags are too small, and difficult to find.
2. The stock kind of sucks, especially with a scope.

So I decided to do something about it. The first one anyway... the second problem is an entirely different can of worms that will take much longer to figure out. I bought a 3d printer for a different project, and figured I'd see how they held up.

In the picture comparing multiple magazines, there's the factory 5 round mag on the left, then the first prototype 6 round mag, then a couple 12 round mags.
I'm very happy with how then ended up, I just need to run a bunch more ammo through them to see how they hold up.
I put 50 rounds through the 6 round version, and don't see any signs of wear, but the higher spring pressure on the larger mags might change that. We'll see!

(No, that's not the ammo I run through this rifle, it's just what I had laying around for a sanity check when it came off the printer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170824_173838.jpg (244.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170824_174140.jpg (538.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170825_170844.jpg (535.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRucker2004 View Post
I've had my izhmash 7-2 for a while, and enjoy shooting it, but hate two things about it:
1. The mags are too small, and difficult to find.
2. The stock kind of sucks, especially with a scope.

So I decided to do something about it. The first one anyway... the second problem is an entirely different can of worms that will take much longer to figure out. I bought a 3d printer for a different project, and figured I'd see how they held up.

In the picture comparing multiple magazines, there's the factory 5 round mag on the left, then the first prototype 6 round mag, then a couple 12 round mags.
I'm very happy with how then ended up, I just need to run a bunch more ammo through them to see how they hold up.
I put 50 rounds through the 6 round version, and don't see any signs of wear, but the higher spring pressure on the larger mags might change that. We'll see!

(No, that's not the ammo I run through this rifle, it's just what I had laying around for a sanity check when it came off the printer.
Very nicely done! Did you 3D print the followers as well? What did you use for springs? Just curious is all... I'm fortunate to have purchased two NIB 7-2 KO's when they were more easily available, hence I have four of the OEM 5-rd mags available for use. Since the OEM mags are plastic/polymer construction, they will wear out eventually, so always on the "hunt" for a few more mags. Keep us informed as to how the 3D versions hold up for you.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 AM
JRucker2004

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
Very nicely done! Did you 3D print the followers as well? What did you use for springs? Just curious is all... I'm fortunate to have purchased two NIB 7-2 KO's when they were more easily available, hence I have four of the OEM 5-rd mags available for use. Since the OEM mags are plastic/polymer construction, they will wear out eventually, so always on the "hunt" for a few more mags. Keep us informed as to how the 3D versions hold up for you.
I printed everything except the spring. I was planning on making my own spring, but found a different magazine that used a similar spring, and they're available as part of an upgrade kit, so I just bought a few of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 AM
USGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally someone has fixed a problem! Less talk, more business - man says, man did!
Does it feeding well? Are they durable or will brake shortly? If you may change a bottom angle, they will look better I think.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:45 AM
JRucker2004

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGuy View Post
Finally someone has fixed a problem! Less talk, more business - man says, man did!
Does it feeding well? Are they durable or will brake shortly? If you may change a bottom angle, they will look better I think.
Feeds great so far.

The plastic isn't nearly as durable as the factory mags, as they're glass fiber reinforced. Due to the nature of how the 3d printer works, the failure point will be the lamination between lawyers, and there's really no way around that. How long they last is yet to be seen, I'll be putting a lot of rounds through them to find out. I'm also leaving one mag fully loaded for an extended period of time to see what happens.

As for the angle of the floor plate, it's perpendicular to the mag body for a good reason: strength. There are a number of places on the mag that would be weaker if it were made at an angle. Form follows function in this case.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 03:06 PM
apdair1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice work! Keep us posted on how they hold up.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is nifty stuff!!

What printer are you using??

I'm curious as to how you generated the printable files.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM
JRucker2004

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post
This is nifty stuff!!

What printer are you using??

I'm curious as to how you generated the printable files.
Monoprice Maker Select V2
I drew up the files from scratch using Fusion360
Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 AM
USGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Respect!

Quote:
Monoprice Maker Select V2
I drew up the files from scratch using Fusion360
Shooter, armed with knowledge and high end technology - winning combination!

Quote:
..... 2. The stock kind of sucks, especially with a scope. ...
... it was happen before and it surely be happen again ... (C)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...3&postcount=11

Last edited by USGuy; 08-30-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:47 PM
PGT

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
I printed everything except the spring. I was planning on making my own spring, but found a different magazine that used a similar spring, and they're available as part of an upgrade kit, so I just bought a few of those.
what worked best for this? Would be good to know to get spares for normal BB mags too
Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 PM
izhm

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Please keep the members up dated on this project .
Old 10-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Speedo2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JRucker, sounds like a good business opportunity. I'd sure buy a few of them if you ever decide to go commercial. -S2
Old 10-22-2017, 09:21 PM
HKSnob
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wonder if these would fit my Izzy Sobol. Can I talk you into sharing the STL file? If it fits, I?d be interested in buying some mags, since I can only print with PLA or with ABS.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSnob View Post
I wonder if these would fit my Izzy Sobol.
Sobols and BBs use the same magazines.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 AM
JRucker2004

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Designing a reliable magazine from scratch requires a lot of prototypes. According to my CAD software, I'm on revision 25 of version 3. The first version functioned, but it wasn't perfect. I'm not sure I'll ever achieve perfection, but I'm getting closer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk