Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 AM
MIKE BURKE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
6 MM Rimfire cartridges

I recieved approx 38 yrs ago what was believed to be single shot bolt action , 3 stage trigger, .22 cal match rifle with a blow-back prob.After a house fire I discovered that I had a 6mm rimfire. .22 cal will fire but I have had no luck with any info on cartridges or making them pls help
Old 03-24-2005, 08:19 AM
bodedward

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
?Make, model, serial number, stock type, barrel type, sights, buttplate, photos in stock and out. We have not mastered mind-reading yet, so you can quit concentrating and staring at the rifle, it isn't working. Bodedward
Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Vibe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
6mm Flobert rimfire cartridges are the same as 22 caliber CB Caps - I would have thought that 22LR would have been too long to chamber, but I can easily see how loading regular 22 ammo into such could lead to a "blow back problem".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 PM
MIKE BURKE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't bother ever again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodedward
?Make, model, serial number, stock type, barrel type, sights, buttplate, photos in stock and out. We have not mastered mind-reading yet, so you can quit concentrating and staring at the rifle, it isn't working. Bodedward
I did not appreciate your smart @#% response concerning 6mm rimfire info.The info that I gave would have, should have been enough for anyone who was not an ametuer. Maybe you should pick another hobby, but don't make it stand-up comedy, I don't think you'd be standing very long..Have a nice life
Old 03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
MIKE BURKE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe
6mm Flobert rimfire cartridges are the same as 22 caliber CB Caps - I would have thought that 22LR would have been too long to chamber, but I can easily see how loading regular 22 ammo into such could lead to a "blow back problem".
After posting my question I found a local gunsmith who is researching the manufacturer markings on the barrel. He did mic the chamber which was 6mm' however the end of the barrel mic'd at .22 cal. As you can tell I am a novice so excuse my ignorance when i ask, Can a shell, in the shape a 30-30, scaled down to fit????Can I modify a die to that shape and make my own loads or do I have a conversation piece
Old 03-30-2005, 02:23 PM
gordonmcw

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I found the following info at www.ammoguide.com

6mm Flobert-Rundkugeln is a rimfire cartridge with a lead ball (spherical) weighting 16 grain for use in .22lr. Rifles, pistols and revolvers. It is produced by Dynamit Nobel.

Instead of bore diameter, the 6mm dimension in the name of this cartridge refers to the overall length (height) of the round.

looks like vibe's comment is right on track about the cb caps being appropriate..
Old 04-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Vibe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE BURKE
After posting my question I found a local gunsmith who is researching the manufacturer markings on the barrel. He did mic the chamber which was 6mm' however the end of the barrel mic'd at .22 cal. As you can tell I am a novice so excuse my ignorance when i ask, Can a shell, in the shape a 30-30, scaled down to fit????Can I modify a die to that shape and make my own loads or do I have a conversation piece
Asking questions is the only way I know of (besides constant eavesdropping) to cure ignorance - As such the only stupid questions are those to which you already know the answer to (particularly if that answer is false to begin with).

I have seen a few 6mm Flobert rifles, but have not done chamber casts of them. They were a rather nice "parlor" gun when that was in style. If it were mine I would stick to the 22 CB caps, though for a bit more you can still find rounds marked as 6mm Flobert - not that you can tell the difference between them and the CBs.

As far as a scaled down necked cartridge is concerned, my answer would be no. The 17 Mach2, 17 Aguila, and 17 HMR are the only necked down rimfires in current circulation (there are a few 5mm Magnums floating around, but that's a whole 'nother story). As for a scaled down 30-30....Well then you get into the whole centerfire/rimfire problem with the firing pin location.

Enjoy it for what it is instead of trying to use it as something it's not.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Vibe; 04-01-2005 at 11:15 AM.