Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:17 PM
mag-check

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5mm shooters!

Talked to the good folks at Remington today and believe it or not the might make another run of 5mm magnum ammo! The person I talked to said they havent seen anything as of yet but said that there are hearing talk in the plant about the 5mm! So you need to give them a call the number is 501-676-3161 or 501-676-4198. Mag-check
Old 03-02-2005, 07:55 PM
dreamdrummr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Mag-Check....
I dont know anything about a 5MM.... Actually I dont think I have ever heard of it... Can you enlighten me?

Thanks

Dreamdrummr
Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 PM
mag-check

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22mag

It was alot like the 22 magnum. The 5mm was a bottle neck cartridge like the 17HMR it shot a .2045 dia bullet at 2,100fps. Back in its day it was the fastest rimfire cartridge. It was ballisticly better then the 22 magnum cartridge. Remington made two bolt action rifles for the 5mm the 591/592. T/C made 30,000 barrels for the 5mm. Mag-Check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is certainly promising news. I thought the reason for stopping production was one of safety, regarding the cartridge. Have they been able to modify it a bit? If they produce another run, I wonder how much $$$ per 50? Mag-check check your private message.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 AM
ern

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mag-check,
Don't get you hopes up to high. Saftey issues is what I too was told was the reason for dropping the 5mm. The 5mm you are hearing about at the factory is in all likely hood a Corelok bullet for the .204 Ruger.
But It would be nice to have another rimfire to play with.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can someone descibe a corelokt bullet. Would the 5mm corelokt not be such a good thing?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Many years ago Remington came up with the Corelokt (core locked, get it?) bullet as their premium hunting bullet in the deer sized calibers. A game bullet does a much better job if the core and jacket stay together after it hits the animal. In the late 1940's John Nosler came up with the justly famous Partition bullet ( still the bullet by which other premiums are judged) and Remington had their Corelokt. That was about it for "Premium" bullets. Later Hornady brought out their Intrerlock and Speer their Grand Slam and Hot Core bullets. All try to do the same thing with different methods. Now there are so many "Premium" bullet on the market that it is easy to forget how at one time the Corelokt was about the only factory bullet out there with any attempt made to secure the core.

This past year Remington announced that they have redesigned the Corelokt to be even better. Over the years it had kinda gotten lost in the mix and the others had gotten much better than Remingtons bullet and this was Remingtons response.

This technology is generaly unneeded and unwanted in a varmint bullet where you expect maximum expansion, even disintergration, of the bullet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 03-03-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
5mmMag

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It seems to me that with new powder technology (compared to 1970) that similar velocities could be achieved with considerably lower initial pressure than the old runs. If this new run comes to pass, maybe that's their angle. I know pressure may not be the only problem but it may have been their biggest concern. Time will tell!
Old 03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
221fireball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5mm mag

Well this is my check on this whole thing im going to call rem and see also , but since there 504 is pretty much a flop from what i hear , the good old rem folks figured since the 17's have taken off so much here in the 2 years that if they made the 5mm again they would be back into the rimfire game again

lets face it they lost alot when the 580 series and the 540 went with the time
now with all the 20 cal hipe its maybe getting there brains running again as bieng inovators in new arms like they used to do

I could see the 504 as the platform as the new 5mm mag and yes with the new powders and tech we have now i see no need for them not to do this they still have all the tooling for the 5mm and it would be them making the rounds and guns

yes a heavey barreled 5mm mag would be awsom + you have those old guns that could be shot again

it would be awsom yes it would

chris
Old 03-03-2005, 03:03 PM
oquirrh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Because of the popularity of the 17hmr (and that there are only about a dozen 5mm mags still floating around), I really doubt there's much to the rumor.

Even for a limited run of 5mm mag ammo, the maintenance to fire up the old machinery and R&D to formulate loads with current powders would be seem cost prohibitive.

But it would be fun to see the 5mm shooting against the 17hmr.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mmMag
It seems to me that with new powder technology (compared to 1970) that similar velocities could be achieved with considerably lower initial pressure than the old runs. If this new run comes to pass, maybe that's their angle. I know pressure may not be the only problem but it may have been their biggest concern. Time will tell!
Can you say Hogdon's Lil Gun? It has turned the Hornet into a whole new cartridge almost. The highest velocities listed at the lowest pressures listed......I'm just starting to work with it but so far so good! Would be nice to see Remington do something really RIGHT. Bye the way, seen the new XR100 rifle.....very nice. Now Big Green, lets see something good for the rimfire bunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-03-2005, 04:41 PM
mag-check

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5mm

Guys trust me on this one theres something up at Remington! Ive talked to some people that have inside information. Mag-Check
Old 03-03-2005, 05:00 PM
dreamdrummr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Mag-Check!
Once again, you are a wealth of info...
Sounds like another fun toy to add to the bunch.
Although my wifey would probably throw me out if I bought another gun. I would have to wait at LEAST another month!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Dave K

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

I almost hope they don't bring ammo out for the 5mm. It is all the excuse I need to own one!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM
221fireball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
come-on MAG-CHECK

spill the beans you know more than your telling us