917VS Splitting Casings - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Send Help!!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
917VS Splitting Casings

On the rare occasion my hummer would split casings. The gun has only had about 150 to 200 rounds out of it so I am still tinkering with different ammos. This was with either remington or CCI ammo (I was shooting both to see which my gun prefered). I have been using Hornady now and have not noticed a split casing. My gun dealer told me it could be the ammo, but I have my doubts. I am relatively new to guns (only been shooting about 3 years) and I thought that once the round was loaded into the breach, the barrel would fit almost perfectly if not completely perfectly snug against the casing to prevent this.

Here is what it is doing:
I do not have a digital camera or I would be glad to post a pic. Imagine a shell sitting vertically. It would split the casing from the crimp to the part where the bottleneck begins to grow to the full diameter. This crack was vertical. It was like some of the blast was blowing out the side. Anyone know what the problem may be??? Hopefully it was just the ammo, since I haven't noticed it doing it anymore.

Please give your input, I appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
quickdtoo
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are already a few threads on this subject, do a search on split cases and you'll see em.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
mike249

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try this one. It has a good photo.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ht=split+cases

I have also had several split cases. I don't think it really is anything other than a weak point in the HMR cases.
I haven't heard if anyone has had this prob with the HM2..
I don't worry about it now, but the first time I saw a split case, I thought I had something wrong with my chamber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 PM
ice
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This seems to happen with the .17 on occasion. Don`t think it is anything to get het-up about.
I`m sure the manufacturers like it less than we do.

Last edited by ice; 02-08-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Splitting Casings.

this is not a uncommon occurance in brass. Some brass is not annealed properly and hardens, could be that the mfg did not aneal it properly.
In a Centerfire reloaders are prone to soften their case necks after a few reloads I do it after the initial first 6 reloads, it extends brass life. as brass is fired it work hardens and is prone to split.

I have seen pistol brass split on first firing from the factory as I have seen some lots go 20 or so reloads before they split.

In rimfire you do not reload it is disconcerting nevertheless. It is not the rifle
that is at fault in this case. just the brass container.

S/SP
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM
mike249

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERN S/PAW
It is not the rifle that is at fault in this case. just the brass container.

S/SP
Thats the best way to put it.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Send Help!!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good deal, I hope that is the case. I read up on a lot of the other articles and they had some good information too. The idea it was the brass makes sense, seeing that it hasn't happened recently. Just was worried I would mess up my barrel. My 917 is destined for great things!! I love that gun!!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:25 PM
CZ17HMR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is this happening in all rifles? I haven't seen this in my CZ.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
orville

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
split cases

A few weeks ago my 17v was splitting my cci cases. I noticed on the cases that weren't split a tiny dent. This meant that there was something in the chamber fouling things up. After a good cleaning, problem solved.

Here's a pic,

Old 02-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Bounty764hunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had the problem but only with the CCI ammo. So far I've not seen this neither the Remington or Hornady. With my gun it is not a cleaning problem as it seems I always have one out of the first 5 will split after it has been cleaned. Both the Remington and Hornady use the Hornady V-Max bullet and the CCI use a Speer TNT. I have look at both and the only thing that I see that might make a difference is the two types of bullets seem to have different crimp points, meaning the V-Max bullet sits a little deeper in the casing than the Speer TNT. So there is my two pennies.

BH
Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Send Help!!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also have only had it happen with CCI now I think of it. Another possible solution is that the something fouling things up in the barrel was a burr or something like that. My gun hasn't done this after the first 100 rounds or so. Maybe the "burr" or whatever was in there wore down. However, I don't shoot the CCI's out of it anymore either.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 PM
bzzrd feeder

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guys All brands of this ammo are made in the same CCI plant in Idaho. They use the same everything except the bullets change. In the case of the plastic tips they change color. I'm sure the color of the tip affects the accuracy a bunch.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
splitting hairs and other monsters living in the chamber

Its not the gun or the chamber of the rifle that causes split cases unless you got a really big chamber, well out of spec. to test that get you some Cerro safe from Brownells or Midway and cast yourself a chambercast. this stuff melts easily. and it will show you all the dimensions of your chamber.

When brass is worked that means making or "drawing" the brass case it becomes harder than when the button was first started to shape as a cartridge,ideally it should be annealed to soften it.

I don't know if the brass that CCI uses is annealed prior to loading, someone might ask them ?
if there were a burr or small obstruction in the chamber it would show up as an indentation in the brass unlikely a split in the brass.

I think split cases in rimfires are caused by 1, overloaded cases to much powder.

2, work hardened cases, brass is too hard instead of expanding and then contracting it expands and ruptures cause it don't got elasticity of a well annealed case.

my .02
S/sp

Last edited by SOUTHERN S/PAW; 03-11-2005 at 10:21 PM.