manufacture date of Iver Johnson revolvers based on serial number - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:37 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
manufacture date of Iver Johnson revolvers based on serial number

Anyone have any info on where to find manufacture date of Iver Johnson Supershot 22 caliber revolvers based on serial number ?

I have search Internet and have yet to find any table, listing, etc.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 PM
kaynine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
There is a serial number listing for the Iver Johnson SuperShot 22 Top Break Revolvers in W.E.Goforth's book/reference, "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871 - 1993". There are a number of variations of Iver Johnson SuperShot revolvers and it would help your quest if you provided a more detailed description of your revolver, and/or a good photo. Not all knowledge resides on the net.

I might be able to help, but you'd need to provide me with a serial number.

HTH:

Last edited by kaynine; 05-18-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:15 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
There is a serial number listing for the Iver Johnson SuperShot 22 Top Break Revolvers in W.E.Goforth's book/reference, "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871 - 1993". There are a number of variations of Iver Johnson SuperShot revolvers and it would help your quest if you provided a more detailed description of your revolver, and/or a good photo. Not all knowledge resides on the net.

HTH:
Thanks for your reply.

It is a 22 revolver, break top action, has adjustable finger rest on the front of grip, and is serial number 1417x.

I think it is 8 shot but since I don't have it in hand YET (on its way to me), can't say for sure. My research, so far, seems to indicate that it is a model 834.

What I could find, seems to indicate that it MAY have been made during the great depression period but I have not been able to narrow it down to closer than that.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 07:26 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The Iver Johnson SuperShot Mdl 834 (pre-war) revolver should be an 8 shot pistol with a ribbed barrel, fluted cylinder and adjustable finger rest. The SuperShot revolvers were manufactured from 1934 to 1957. The Iver Johnson SuperShot revolver was modified in the mid-50's to include a smooth cylinder, and pear shaped barrel profile and became the Mdl. 844.

Approximately 100,000 Iver Johnson SuperShot revolvers were produced. Your serial number should have an L prefix and the number seems to place it's date of manufacture as 1936 (L13651 - L14900)

HTH
Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am reading the serial number from the bottom of the trigger guard on a photo of the gun. I am not seeing any prefix in the serial number.

Would the prefix to the serial number be located somewhere else on the gun ?

What does the "L" prefix designate ?

14900 - 13651 = 1249, what are the other approx. 98,000 revolvers ?

Thanks.

Last edited by wpshooter; 05-17-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:54 AM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The Iver Johnson SuperShot series of break top revolvers were intended to compete with the Harrington Richardson Mdl Sportsman 999 revolvers. In fact they are quite similar. According to Goforth in his book, Iver johnson manufactured about 100K SuperShot revolvers during it's production as I stated before. Apparently, this production number paled in comparison to sales of Iver Johnson's more inexpensive, solid frame, Target Sealed Eight revolvers.

Top: Iver Johnson Mdl 855 (1956)
Bottom: Harrington & Richardson Mdl 999 Sportsman

The serial number should be located on the bottom of your trigger guard as you reported. According to Goforth, it should have a L prefix as I stated before. My later example, a Mdl 855, has an A prefix as is correct for the last three years of production. My IJ Mdl 822 Champion single action revolver has a B prefix as is correct for this revolver. Basically, your revolver should have an L prefix to it's serial number. I don't believe that the L prefix has any significance other than to denote a particular model, or model variation.

Perhaps you should wait until you receive your revolver, inspect it carefully, and then post a few photos here on the RFC for further evaluation.

Last edited by kaynine; 05-18-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Horse before the cart thing happens, you need to post pics to "PAY" for the info, lol.
It keeps us happy to see and learn of other things out there.

Sometime you don't always get the best info or pics when buying as I have learned, never got burned by that as I usually ask a lot of questions if needed. As far as when it was made never really mattered to me, sorry can't help with that issue.

IF you don't get a lot of response here (in this forum area)you might want to post in "rimfire pistol" forum and not the "rifle" rimfire forum but I'm sure there are others here that will help with your quest.

Last edited by Baby Automag; 05-18-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got the revolver today.

Looks like the serial number is 1417x. I am read that off of the bottom of the trigger guard. Does not appear to have any serial number inside of the frame and have not had a chance to take the grip off of it yet.

Does NOT appear to have any "L" in the serial number. Both the 1st digit and the 3rd digit both appear to be same, i.e. the number one (1).

It has a metal finger rest attached to the front of the grip frame, is an 8 shot and is SA only.

It is dark now, so will try to post photos of it in the morning.

Assuming that the serial number IS 1417x, any idea as to the exact year of production ?

P.S. - Took the grips off and there is an "L" in the front of the serial number under the grips. So serial number is L1417x. Might note that the manufacturer of the gun was not too particular in exactly where they located the serial number on the grip frame because the first number 1 digit is cut into/across the screw head that holds the finger rest to the grip frame !!!

Still looking for year this particular gun was manufacturered.

Thanks.

Last edited by wpshooter; 05-25-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 AM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The serial number you provided would place the manufacture of your revolver to the year 1936. A more important issue is what exact SuperShot "single shot" revolver variation do you have since there are two different variations, the Champion, the Model 36 Trigger cocker. This would be made clear if you would provide a photo, including a close up view of the markings on the left flank of the barrel.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The serial number you provided would place the manufacture of your revolver to the year 1936. A more important issue is what exact SuperShot "single shot" revolver variation do you have since there are two different variations, the Champion, the Model 36 Trigger cocker. This would be made clear if you would provide a photo, including a close up view of the markings on the left flank of the barrel.
Kaynine:

Thanks for your reply.

I am thinking it is probably the Champion. Because I did some research on the 36 Trigger cocker you mention and it talks like the trigger is somehow supposed to cock the hammer. This revolver has to be cocked by pulling the hammer back by the shooter, i.e. SA.

And what it says on the side of the barrel is: 22 Supershot Sealed Eight

Will post some photos when I get thru cleaning it up.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:20 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Actually, this is why I asked you about what is written on the left flank of the barrel, because the Champion (model 822, or later model 855) is stamped with the model number near the barrel hinge. The Trigger cocking revolver will have "model 822) stamped near the barrel hinge, AND it will also have "IJ Trigger Cocking 22 single action target" stamped on the blued barrel surface.

Another helpful id feature is that the trigger on the IJ Champion will have a very obvious "chunky" trigger profile" set way back in the trigger guard and can be seen in my post war Champion (model 855) as shown below, upper pistol.

The only thing that these two single action revolvers share with the IJ SuperShot double action revolvers is the pistol's frame and cylinder. Here again, a photo of your revolver would make all this, and perhaps some other id information clear.

Last edited by kaynine; 05-25-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kaynine:

Attached are 2 photos.

Can you also tell me where I might find a replacement for the screw that holds the rear sight blade onto the rear of the barrel assembly ?

The depth of the screw slot is very shallow / worn - I can get the screw in and out of the hole but I can not turn it with enough torque to keep the rear sight blade in a tight position so that it won't flop around, i.e. go side to side or flip out of 90 degree positioning. I have looked on Numrich and don't see there.

From the reading that I am doing on Internet, I almost believe that this has to be a model 834, do you agree ?

Thanks.

Last edited by wpshooter; 10-07-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:21 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
It looks like a Iver Johnson Mdl 834 SuperShot revolver. It's definatly, not a Champion, and, although I can't read the roll markings on the barrel because of the poor resolution of your photo, it doesn't appear to be a Trigger Cocking Mdl either. Unfortunately, the IJ Mdl 834 should be capable of BOTH single and double action function and you stated earlier that it was a single shot.

I can't help you with respect to a source for a replacement sight screw other than to check with Bob's Gun Shop in ArKansas, or GunParts corp., and then there's always Ace Hwdware:-) Some epoxy maybe your best cure for the sloppy screw.

Hope you enjoy your new acquisition.

Last edited by kaynine; 05-25-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:46 PM
wpshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
It looks like a Iver Johnson Mdl 834 SuperShot revolver. It's definatly, not a Champion, and, although I can't read the roll markings on the barrel because of the poor resolution of your photo, it doesn't appear to be a Trigger Cocking Mdl either. Unfortunately, the IJ Mdl 834 should be capable of BOTH single and double action function and you stated earlier that it was a single shot.

I can't help you with respect to a source for a replacement sight screw other than to check with Bob's Gun Shop in ArKansas, or GunParts corp., and then there's always Ace Hwdware:-) Some epoxy maybe your best cure for the sloppy screw.

Hope you enjoy your new acquisition.
Kaynine:

I stand corrected !!!

It IS also DA. I suppose my poor old fingers are so delicate from shooting my High Standard pistols with their 2 to 2 1/2 lb. pull that I had forgotten how heavy the trigger pull is on some revolvers.

Thought about putting epoxy on the sight screw but want to get screw with proper slot on it so that I could be able to get it off, should the occasion arise. Will check around until I can find a replacement.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:59 AM
argonator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=kaynine;6479585]There is a serial number listing for the Iver Johnson SuperShot 22 Top Break Revolvers in W.E.Goforth's book/reference, "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871 - 1993". There are a number of variations of Iver Johnson SuperShot revolvers and it would help your quest if you provided a more detailed description of your revolver, and/or a good photo. Not all knowledge resides on the net.

------------------------------------
Perhaps you can help me identify the production year of this Ivers Johnson .32 black powder handgun. I have tried to help with other postings for 10/22s here over the years. I cannot afford a copy of the book mentioned from Amazon nor find it in a local library.

I was loaned a 5 shot .32 break open second model Ivers Johnson with patent dates leading up to 1896. The top of the barrel reads:

" Ivers Johnson's arms and cycle works. Fitchburg MASS USA"
"PATD APR 6, 86 FEB 15, 87 MAY 10,87 AUG 25,96 , PATS PENDING"

Assuming that the last patent date was 1896, this would put the production somewhere in the 1896-1900 time frame I hope.
I do have a serial number from the underside of the left grip after perusing the various forums on the net helping to identify it.
It is marked B52121 . I might hazard a guess that it was the second run of 50,000 as "B" and 52121 after that so that would make it either in the 250,000 range?
It is important to me to know that it is a pre-1900 production gun, as I am trying to carry an "ancient weapon" as determined by the three letter people , "as not a firearm" for self defense. NRA lifetime member here. Long story, but will get this resolved.

Thanks in advance. See attached picture, the "B" is hardly readable in the picture but that is the stamp as seen by the human eye. See attached pic.

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (941 kB)