Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Tsubaki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 mag disassembly and follower rework

Magazine disassembly:

Use a screwdriver as shown to pop the bottom of the magazine off.
This requires a firm hand but the plastic bottom will flex enough for disassembly.

Magazine components:

Alot of reliability issues with the 597 can be traced back to the magazine follower. The follower is too tight within the magazine and has a tendency to stick, this will cause ruined cartridges or failure to feed.
The problem gets worse as unburnt powder gets inside the magazine.

The solution is to sand/polish the sides of the follower down until the follower freely drops into the magazine. Once the follower drops freely into the magazine, sand abit more off the front since that is where most of the powder residue goes. Reassemble the magazine and go shoot!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:55 AM
markriz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Screw driver trick

I assume that is a flat blade screw driver being used in your pic. Are you prying the bottom of the magazine off with a levering action or hitting it down off the magazine???? Having trouble getting mine off and dont want to break them. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Tsubaki

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A slow levering action works best, any type of hitting it will probably crack the plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 09:26 AM
markriz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. The manual I just downloaded says to squeeze sides of mag while pulling bottom off,,, will try both.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 PM
smoky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markriz
Thanks. The manual I just downloaded says to squeeze sides of mag while pulling bottom off
I think that part in the manual needs to be up dated. As it seems to be written for the older all plastic magazines.

Tsubaki, Good tip. I need to try that "sand/polish the sides of the follower down" trick on one of my problem 2nd design mags.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 AM
markriz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my 597 the first year it was out. Couldnt try the trigger at the store and it was 8lbs so I put the gun away till this winter when I found the Jarvis site and got the stock, barrel and hammer. The hammer is lighter but inconsistent, 3.5 - 4.5lbs and notchy feeling so I will try honing it or end up with a VQ hammer which everyone says is great at 2lbs. I have 2 of the first plastic mags and they work great although I only have about 200 rounds through the gun. The Jarvis barrel says it is garanteed to give 3/8 inch groups at 50 yards and it does, with Remington Yellow Jackets which everyone reports being inaccurate due tot he high velocity,, go figure. I tried 12 types of ammo. The Jarvis hammer also makes the safety hard to engage. I should have gotten an 18 or 16 inch Jarvis barrel as the 20 is a bit end heavy.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Marty S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jarvis hammer

I'm debating betweeen the Jarvis and VQ hammer for my 597. Have you got any new input since your last post?

I also had trouble with the 2nd gen mag, so I did what was recommended above, with the addition of spraying a little dry Teflon lube on the follower. No more feed problems. The gun shoots great except for the lousy trigger.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:42 AM
BobCl
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Skype™ to BobCl
Sanding the followers helped, but one magazine in particular had rough places on the inside, particularly in the grooves, that yielded to a little burnishing. Both mags are still rough past eight rounds, so the dry Teflon is next. Thanks for the tips, y'all!

Last edited by BobCl; 11-21-2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Grizz - Tenn
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got a New 597 and 2 spare magazines.

I found that all!!! 3 of the magazines could not be loaded with more than 5 cartridges without binding up.

I disassembled them and lubed the interior of the magazine housing with Lee Precision's Case Resizing Lube, which is removeable with soap & water.

This Fixed all 3 magazines, can now load all 8 cartridges without binding, and the magazines can be easily cleaned and relubed.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:23 AM
BobCl

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Okay, never heard of "Lee Precision's Case Resizing Lube". Is it a dry lube?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:04 PM
gaweidert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hoppe's Teflon dry lube works good too.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Grizz - Tenn
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCl View Post
Okay, never heard of "Lee Precision's Case Resizing Lube". Is it a dry lube?

Sorry BobCl,

I'm a reloader and it never dawned on me that others might not know what "Lee Precision's Case Resizing Lube" was.

It is a lube from Lee Precision, the maker of Lee Reloading Equipment. It comes in a tube and is used to lubricate brass cases before they are resized during the reloading process.

It is a paste in the tube and I use a Q-tip to apply it inside the magazines. It remains very slippery after it dries. It's water soluable and can be removed with dish soap and water, so you can clean magazines as remington directs in their handbook and then relube them when they are dry.

"Lee Precision's Case Resizing Lube" is available from all LEE reloading equipment suppliers. It's CHEAP!, normally about $3 a tube. A tube should last a long time when just lubing magazines.

Here's a link:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...izingLubricant

Grizz - Tenn

Last edited by Grizz - Tenn; 01-01-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add link
Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM
BobCl

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks, Grizz! You're right, I meticulously avoid center fire rifles because I don't need another obsession...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:36 PM
grandparem
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear about the Lee lube... I have some in my reloading stuff... guess I'll try it next time I clean my mags.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 PM
too_pointer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I'm debating betweeen the Jarvis and VQ hammer for my 597.
I might be wrong, but I believe Jarvis no longer offers a hammer for the 597.
VQ still does but most of the time it will only lower the lbs to around 3.5 lbs.
too_