Bald Eagle Mods Complete - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Morrey
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Bald Eagle Mods Complete

I have been meaning to modify my windage knob for some time and today was the day. The cable seemed to make jerky movements and was not smooth at all. Pastprime and Smooth both gave me ideas that worked. I bought a carb stud kit that is used on an engine. 5/16" and 3 inches long. One short end is 18 tpi and that threads into the OEM knob. The other longer end is 24 tpi and moves the carriage slider back and forth. It is a fairly simple mod to turn the entire carriage around so the knob now is on the left. This means you will have to flip the carriage slider so it all matches up. I also am using Protektor bags and had to move the two side supports out all the way to allow the wider Protektor bag to fit in. The BE is so much better now!!

Old 07-11-2015, 04:14 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did the windage mod to mine too after reading Smooth's and the other's tips on here. Infinitely better than the cable imo. The cable was so bad I didn't even screw with it. I checked it as it came out the box and hated it. Already knew the answers thanks to RFC. Had it done and ready to go in minutes flat. No problemo. Just for the record, ACE carries the bolt in stock in the store for under $2.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Morrey

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
I did the windage mod to mine too after reading Smooth's and the other's tips on here. Infinitely better than the cable imo. The cable was so bad I didn't even screw with it. I checked it as it came out the box and hated it. Already knew the answers thanks to RFC. Had it done and ready to go in minutes flat. No problemo. Just for the record, ACE carries the bolt in stock in the store for under $2.
Awesome! I had two BE rests, one cast and one aluminum. Did them both today.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Morrey

Good to hear that you have completed your modification.
It bumps a good rest up to a very good rest.

I picked up a second one, just so I don't have to keep changing bags from my Bald Eagle 3"slider bag to my custom Prorektor used with my sporting rifles.
I just switch tops, no reason to haul around both complete rests.

I've been very satisfied with how my rifles are shooting off it!

Sporter set up:

Slider setup:

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 11-28-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:45 PM
sevenla
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone have a link to this mod?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
Morrey

I picked up a second one, just so I don't have to keep changing bags from my Bald Eagle 3"slider bag to my custom Prorektor used with my sporting rifles.
I just switch tops, no reason to haul around both complete rests.

Smooth
Another good idea, Smooth.

I have read that there are better tops that can be fitted on those things. So my question is why not go that route instead of buying a base to get another one of the same instead of a better one. I am sure you know the details of what is/isn't available so I am assuming it's one of the following reasons:

1. Consistency
2. Cost
3. I am wrong about what is available for retro-fit on the BE.

OR....
Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenla View Post
Anyone have a link to this mod?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk
From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
JackMcD

This one is slightly modified, but you can read all about them in the links I've provided.

http://www.bullets.com/search?s=bran...Shooting+Rests

The info is scattered all over these threads, so scan all the posts.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ght=Bald+Eagle

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ght=Bald+Eagle

Smooth
All you need is a 5/16-18 to 5/16-24 manifold stud from ACE hardware. Then just remove the cable, disassemble the cradle, reverse for a 'left-hand' shooter (instructions available from bullets.com if you need them). Then simply add the knob from the cable to the manifold bolt and thread the knob/stud into the windage hole and you are done. EASY.

Last edited by 86c; 07-13-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
86c

So both performance, and cost.
I've been really happy with the results, and at $199, why not.

I do shoot with shooters using $1000 plus rests.
Without question they are super well made, and many are approaching being works of art.
And with joystick control arms, they are without a doubt quicker to adjust.......However I've been competitive with them.

Also, even though I really enjoy bench shooting my main love is for position shooting, especially off-hand.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-14-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Morrey

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
Another good idea, Smooth.

I have read that there are better tops that can be fitted on those things. So my question is why not go that route instead of buying a base to get another one of the same instead of a better one. I am sure you know the details of what is/isn't available so I am assuming it's one of the following reasons:

1. Consistency
2. Cost
3. I am wrong about what is available for retro-fit on the BE.

OR....
86c I bought my two BE rests from Grizzly Industrial when they were on sale dirt cheap. They were like $150 each so I immediately moved on them. I am not sure if Grizzly Industrial still carries them. I watch RFC threads when members identify a sale or special buy on things like this and ammo. I move quickly for a reason...it gets scooped up quickly!

I also have a targetshooting one piece rest that is the cat's meow. But for the price I paid for the BE rests....I enjoy the versatility and keeping different front bags "assigned" to the different rests so I don't swap with each rifle I shoot.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:13 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrey View Post
86c I bought my two BE rests from Grizzly Industrial when they were on sale dirt cheap. They were like $150 each so I immediately moved on them. I am not sure if Grizzly Industrial still carries them. I watch RFC threads when members identify a sale or special buy on things like this and ammo. I move quickly for a reason...it gets scooped up quickly!

I also have a targetshooting one piece rest that is the cat's meow. But for the price I paid for the BE rests....I enjoy the versatility and keeping different front bags "assigned" to the different rests so I don't swap with each rifle I shoot.
I like the way you and Smooth think.

Just to clear, I sold my BE because I couldn't warm up to that style of rest.

Make my own the redneck way and like them better. Have a one piece I have been working on for a while now and it's coming into it's own quite nicely.

I definitely like the one piece better so far. Have seen and used a Pappas and another high ender I don't know the name of that is similar to a Pappas and like them but mine is redneck engineering and low-tech and cheaply made but I like it a lot anyway.

Very curious to know what one-piece you have that you like.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
86c

I have a 5 year old Targert Shootes 1000 rest that you will see in a lot of my photos.

Morrey has the newer version.

Here's the link:http://www.targetshooting.com

The target shown on he opening page, is one of my wife's targets shot on her the first day at the range using the rest. She's pretty proud of that, and so am I.
She's had only shot about 1000 rounds total in her whole life, and finding this "target shooting sport" not that difficult, has moved on to other endeavors!

Her wing safety Ansctutz 1717, with a NightForce 5-22 NXS scope on it has been in deep storage/preservation for 4 years. Yikes!

Oh, by the way I'm still waiting to see and hear about your "redneck" rest and stock modification. I was fascinated by what your had previously revealed.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-18-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:46 PM
striperfisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make sure take a file to the sharp corners of the threaded shaft with the keyway cut in it that supports the top. If not you will eat away threads of the aluminum thumb wheel that makes large elevation changes.

Aluminum metal shavings will build up in the keyway of the shaft after minimal use. Causing rough vertices adjustment
Old 07-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
striperfisher

Say again..I repeat say again.

Are you talking about the Bald Eagle, or the Target Shooters rest?
I'm guessing the Bald Eagle, but in either case could you clarify.

Smooth
Old 07-19-2015, 06:06 PM
striperfisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes I am speaking of the bald eagle rest. My father's mariner wheels threads were pretty chewed up just after a few range trips from the sharp edges on the keyway cut
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the heads up.

I'll take a good look at mine, although I don't use the mariners wheel at all.

Smooth.