Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Manford Trens
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Gave her a SSH 10/22.

This was a late valentine's day gift from me, as the first rifle I gave her back in February didn't work out. However, she liked this one just fine! I decided to post it down here because I think it counts as a SSH, and I am a fan of the SS and SSH forums and want to support them with some content I would be happy for advice, ideas and comments on this project

The gun (so far) is an OEM action, newer with the smooth painted finish. I have done many of the standard RFC tweaks, and the trigger is 2 pounds on the nose.
Mueller 8.5-25X scope in Leupold rings, on an OEM base.
Beech OEM stock (a blonde for a blonde!) with apple burl grip cap and forend tip added.
GM 18" blued bull with a gunsmither block. For some reason, this barrel points up very high. I originally opened up the barrel channel in the stock for a .920 barrel using a different barreled action, and when I went to put this one in, the gap between the barrel and stock was much bigger. Had to turn the vertical knob WAY down to sight in at 50 yards. I told her it's a good thing to have lots of free vertical MOA for long range shooting; a happy flaw
I suspect the next things done on this gun will be a PC hammer and adjustable sear, over-travel stop or aftermarket trigger, and a pillar for the front of the action.

She had not really done much rifle shooting before. This is the second .22 I have given her, but it is her first scoped rifle. She shot ten 5-shot groups, and I think she did great for a OEM gun, basic ammo, and a brand-new barrel. She was a bit down on her shooting, but I explained to her that the annoyingly off-and-on breeze made a huge difference. I told her about flyers, and we could see in her groups how the shots would clump up...I told her that if she could put 4 shots together at 50, she was doing her part, even if the 5th was a flyer that ruined the group size. That flyer might be caused by the shooter, the ammo, or the intermittent wind, but the fact that she could get tight sub-groups meant she was generally doing a good job. I am no great shooter, so I can't teach her very much, just the same stuff I struggle with: Trigger control, wind-reading, and ammo cost Pics of her enjoying the rifle, and her two best groups out of the ten she shot:

.41 @ 50 yards, CCI SV:

.55 @ 50 yards, CCI SV:
Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 PM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet and can shoot! SWEET!

More fun to come I'm sure.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Yeah, I predict that with practice, she will be a better shooter than me real quick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 11:24 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (135)
She's a natural shooter. Really like how the stock came out. What finish did you use?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
thanks! Below is a pic of that stock on one of my guns, before she said she wanted it for her build It's the only Ruger OEM stock I have seen with a knot in it, so I decided some knotty apple burl would work with it, and wanted to try adding a cap and tip on something, anyway. I wanted to keep it light so I just used one coat of tung oil finish to give it some tone and highlight the grain a little, and then I put on satin poly. Nothing fancy, just easy and durable. I am calling it beech because it looks like normal wood grain without the little cheetah spots, but I don't really know. I wonder if it could be chestnut?

Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A pretty rifle for a pretty lady. As for her shooting using that style target and CCI SV for ammo that is not bad at all!! She did just fine.

This is a perfect rifle to have in this forum and I am so glad you brought it here. Please keep updating as you go. You know it quite okay for your lady friend to tell us about the rifle as well We welcome women here as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 05-07-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
So, we went shooting for a second time since she got her 10/22, and she is still enjoying her rifle She shot 100 rounds and had a few pretty good groups, considering the wind was in and out and again, her gun is all OEM parts save for the GM barrel. We tried to watch the ribbon; it would be slack, and by the time we got shots off, it was dancing and sticking out at a 45 degree angle She had better luck with the CCI SV than I did...I am gonna claim that her gun likes it more than mine I ordered us a brick of SK, so we will see how that works. Either way, she out-shot me! All groups were 5 shots @ 50 yards, C-C:

10mm (.393)

10mm (.393)

10.5mm (.413

And her heartbreaker group of the day, 4 shots into 5mm (.196), and the 5th shot opening up the group to 14mm (.551)
Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
All but the one are under 1 MOA and that is VERY hard to argue with!!

Rifle and shooter are doing very well.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:41 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Lookin' REAL good!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Thanks, guys! I have been trying to tell her that she's doing really well, considering the conditions under which we shoot. It's so great to have her come and enjoy shooting with me. She already had handguns when I met her, but I had to lead her into long arms. Scoped target shooting is growing on her, and I am lobbying hard, as you can tell!

Her trigger breaks consistently at 30 oz., but she says it feels mushy and needs improvement. Her trigger already has an over-travel screw, so I am gonna try and correct the pre-travel on her OEM parts and see how tat goes...Wish me luck! The next step may be a PC adjustable sear/hammer kit. Even installed by my barely skilled hands, that kit has one of my guns breaking cleanly at 1.5 lbs, with zero creep. Having already fiddled with her TG, I cannot now send it to Brimstone, so I am not sure what else to do on the cheap.

Is it just me, or do plastic triggers flex a bit and feel mushy? I have no problem with the plastic TG, but I swear I feel some give to the trigger on the new guns. Plastic trigger driving metal pin into plastic TG just feels soft....or I am crazy
Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manford Trens View Post
Thanks, guys! I have been trying to tell her that she's doing really well, considering the conditions under which we shoot. It's so great to have her come and enjoy shooting with me. She already had handguns when I met her, but I had to lead her into long arms. Scoped target shooting is growing on her, and I am lobbying hard, as you can tell!

Her trigger breaks consistently at 30 oz., but she says it feels mushy and needs improvement. Her trigger already has an over-travel screw, so I am gonna try and correct the pre-travel on her OEM parts and see how tat goes...Wish me luck! The next step may be a PC adjustable sear/hammer kit. Even installed by my barely skilled hands, that kit has one of my guns breaking cleanly at 1.5 lbs, with zero creep. Having already fiddled with her TG, I cannot now send it to Brimstone, so I am not sure what else to do on the cheap.

Is it just me, or do plastic triggers flex a bit and feel mushy? I have no problem with the plastic TG, but I swear I feel some give to the trigger on the new guns. Plastic trigger driving metal pin into plastic TG just feels soft....or I am crazy
You are right about the plastic trigger. For fine control they need to be replaced in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:28 AM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Great looking and shooting rig! I also Agree the plastic trigger seems to have a different feel. But I think a lot of the feeling has to do with the method I mod my trigger groups. I have several modded trigger groups (plastic and aluminum) all have been fitted with torsion springs and a OT screw where the old return spring and plunger used to live. I think at lot of my mushy feeling comes from the relief channel I cut into the plastic trigger to hold the torsion spring. You could always try a RT trigger they have that channel machined from the factory or just try a old style OEM aluminum trigger.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker4life View Post
Great looking and shooting rig! I also Agree the plastic trigger seems to have a different feel. But I think a lot of the feeling has to do with the method I mod my trigger groups. I have several modded trigger groups (plastic and aluminum) all have been fitted with torsion springs and a OT screw where the old return spring and plunger used to live. I think at lot of my mushy feeling comes from the relief channel I cut into the plastic trigger to hold the torsion spring. You could always try a RT trigger they have that channel machined from the factory or just try a old style OEM aluminum trigger.
Thanks! Interestingly, I am fiddling with this subject right now I posted under 10/22 action section about how I switched my new SuperSport Heavy gun to an OEM aluminum trigger, and the thing stopped working! Still figuring that out, because I really wanted a shiny silver trigger installed before I posted pics of it

I am learning on my guns before I tinker with hers, and just did my first bobby pin trigger return spring on my own SSH - very cool! It was also my first time using the trigger return plunger hole for an overtravel top, and I can see that I might go do that to all my 10/22s
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
We had better results with SK Magazine; here she is with her best group last time, a little hard to measure since it was all in the black, but about .29, C-C Not bad for all OEM action plus a $100 GM barrel, in minor gusts! She is definitely a better shooter than I. You can see another very good SK Magazine group on her paper, along with a row of rather 'meh' CCI SV groups. I thought we sucked, but you all were right, SV was holding us back in a major way! Even the worst SK groups MUCH better, and I ordered us some Standard Plus to try, as well...very excited Thanks again for all the support

Old 07-09-2015, 01:37 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
I think you should hold onto the rifle AND to her.