My Benjamin 397 (.177) MkII ACP ... Initial Impressions with Factory Iron Sights - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Benjamin 397 (.177) MkII ACP ... Initial Impressions with Factory Iron Sights

Just opened-up the shipping box that contained my Benjamin 397 .177 MkII ACP.
What a good-looking pellet rifle ... was going through my mind ... very nice.
The walnut-stained hardwood stock had a consistent-grain and felt good in my hands.
A very-gratifying solid-heft that balanced well ... this was no toy - rather a tool demanding respect.

Then, I noticed, the Benjamin receiver was stamped MODEL 397PA.
With no other distinguishing feature that I could find ... that is, other than the tell-tale pressure indicator.
And, the forearm that seems slightly out-of-place ... not quite in alignment.
Other-than-that, there's nothing to reveal the uniqueness of the ACP conversion that's hidden within.
As a point of pride-of-ownership ... I'm a little-let-down.

http://www.oplognosia.com/aerovola/aerovola20.php ... Greek to Me - LOL

I'm guessing Steve's intent is to let the performance of the MkII ... speak for itself.
As the owner of a conventional 39X might take notice of the unconventional half-cocking procedure of the bolt
for a low-power shot.
And the pièce de résistance of not having to pump-up this MSP for a follow-up shot.

Immediately, I set-up to take a few sighters to put the ACP on-paper with the factory iron sights.
And already, I'm feeling like a dummy ... what was I thinking ... for not ordering the optional peep sights.
After sending about fifteen pellets down-range ... and, the ACP was sighted-in at 25-feet on low-power.

Why low-power?
At full-power, the ACP is too loud for frequent plinking or regular target practice my backyard.
How loud is that? Like my Daisy 880 on 10-strokes of compression!
Not exactly offensively loud ... but, a couple of consecutive shoots at full-power will draw the attention
of the neighbors.
Considering, an occasional single-shot at a pest under full-power ... I don't think this scenario would prove problematic.

However, the genius of Steve Woodward's design is the Dual-Power SuperSear that allows for a low-power setting.
At low-power, the ACP is reasonably quiet ... like my Daisy 880 with a 5-stroke charge.
Moreover, low-power will suffice for the vast majority of my backyard shooting with the ACP.

Also, I forgot to mention, the SuperSear trigger is very, very good.
Not a match-grade trigger ... but, an excellent hunting trigger - more that meeting my expectations for trigger-quality
in a modestly priced MSP.

Source: AoA of AZ
As for accuracy ... well, I've been able to consistently pair-up POIs or printing 3-shoot pellet-strikes forming a loose,
oblong, clover-leaf - this with conventional open-sights at 10-meters and a shooter that needs tri-focals.
However, I noticed the POIs of some of my groups ... sometimes ... were oddly shifted to the left-of-POA ... then,
to the right-of-POA.

After some more shooting, I was quickly becoming cognizant of the blurring presence of a vision distorting floater in my eye
that was directly in the-line-of-view of the sight picture.
As such, I will need an optical sight to properly check for accuracy.
Even so, to this point I'm very reasonably satisfied with the accuracy potential of my ACP.

Now, for the not-so-good.
Does anyone recall Danny Sapp's comment about the forearm not aligned with the stock under full compression?

392 ACP
Quote:
Now for the things i did not like and can not tolerate the tell tail screw eats into the pump tube
this may never eat through it just looks like crap and it also makes the forearm/pump arm
not line up with the stock.
These are cosmetic and will not effect the operation of the gun i know but they are a deal breaker for me.

Well, it's true.
After being completely pumped-up, the forearm has a tendency to skew to-the-right noticeably.
It is a distraction from the attractive lines of the Benjamin 397 ... but, I can tolerate the appearance as the ACP ... so far ... is
living-up to my initial expectations.

Overall at this early point ... I'm very satisfied with my Benjamin 397 ACP.
So, how satisfied am I with Steve's ACP?
If all goes well, .22 caliber version will be in-the-offing in the not-to-distant future for me.
I think my Daisy 880s and Crosman 2100/2200 are going to be in serious jeopardy of being displaced.

With the addition of a Ballistic Enterprises # 1 accessory rail and a LDC adapter, I'm certain the ACP MkII will be
nearly perfect for almost all of my backyard shooting at sparrows, Eurasian dove and other small pests.

Last edited by aom22; 01-05-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:51 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
That is very interesting . . .

. . . I have not been paying attention to what is going on in the air rifle development world. Thanks for the report.

More and more, it becomes apparent that shooting in the urbans / suburbans will require some some care because of sound pollution, especially when it is firearm related.

Thanks again aom22.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plinking in the Backyard with my ACP Using Factory Open-Sights

j.r. guerra in s. texas ... the Benjamin 397 ACP has me feeling like a kid ... again.
I just pick-up the ACP and a tin of CPLHPs ... a couple of strokes fills the partially charged air rifle and I start shooting away.
On a daily basis, I can't wait to get home a do some shooting with my ACP using the open-sights.
It has been a pure-pleasure and outright fun to shoot this quiet (low-power) but, powerful (full-power) MSP in my backyard.

Lately, I've been targeting small pecans ... at ranges from 8-yards to 12-yards ... to shatter into very little pieces for the birds
to feast-on.
A dead-center hit blasts the pecans into welcomed fodder for the birds.
An off-center strike causes the smallish nuts to roll a little down range or to one side prompting another challenging shot
with the factory open-sights.

On low-power, it takes one-or-two strokes between shots to to replenish the spent air.
Occasionally, I'll take three consecutive shoots before I notice some degradation in the power smashing the small pecans.
At this time, five-or-six compression strokes fully-returns the diminishing performance ... back to normal.

Last edited by aom22; 09-06-2015 at 04:28 PM.