Bald Eagle Rest Update: See also "1712S range report" - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bald Eagle Rest Update: See also "1712S range report"

Modified my Bald Eagle rest by ditching the windage adjustment (which worked ok).
http://www.bullets.com/search?s=bran...Shooting+Rests

A fellow range buddy has a home machine shop, and whipped out this prototype for me.

Makes the windage adjustments super smooth, and by flipping a few parts, I'm still able to do the adjustments with my left hand.

Less bulky and doesn't bind.

The finished product will have a shortened screw, cleaned up machining on the knob, and a Satin finish to match the clamps.

Be sure to check out "Old Man 58s" original "1712S range report" for a lot more info on this rest.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ght=bald+Eagle

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-13-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (119)
Looks very clean without the cable. The cable's jerky movement is the only thing I don't like about them. I've seen posts on how to smooth the windage adjustment cable, but I think that's something that the manufacturer should have done. Nice to be able to switch sides with the knob. Good job.

Hank
Old 02-17-2015, 08:11 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Overhauled mine yesterday. I found a correctly threaded, correct size bolt, cut the head off, removed the knob from the control cable and attached to the bolt, and replaced the windage cable assembly with that setup. As you say, easy enough to flip the top around. I don't use the fore end stop anyway. If I decide to, I can drill and tap the front plate to accept it.

The grabby cable was a little annoying to me...I like the modification better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pump .22s

You can effect the change without loosing the fore-end stop. See mine is still in use, and I really like it.

Flip the slider plate over, don't just flip the whole top.

Smooth
Old 02-18-2015, 07:36 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
pump .22s

You can effect the change without loosing the fore-end stop. See mine is still in use, and I really like it.

Flip the slider plate over, don't just flip the whole top.

Smooth
You are correct. I just loosened the locking ring underneath and rotated the entire top 180 degrees. I use mine mostly for shooting my sporter and don't use the stop. But should I find I need the stop, I'll do what you suggest.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Someone PM'd me and asked for a pic of my modification using the factory windage adjustment knob. I simply loosened the setscrew on the knob and unscrewed it from the factory cable. I then found a fine threaded 5/16 bolt that had enough threads for the adjustment range needed and cut the head off. One could then use a die to thread the end to accept the knob's threads - which are 5/16 coarse- but I elected to simply reduce the diameter enough to slip it into the knob and lock it in place using the set screw. I used my bench grinder to carefully decrease the diameter and ground a smll flat for the set screw. I like this better than the factory cable setup for three reasons:

1) the cable knob was close to the elevation adjustment knob and I kept grabbing the wrong one during a match.

2) as stated, the cable from the factory is "grabby" and not smooth functioning.

3) my older rest's windage adjustment is virtually identical to the modification on the Bald Eagle....so I'm used to it.

No big deal....if you like it, you like. If you don't, you don't.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Pastprime

TPC Rating: 
100% (119)
Smoothtrigger and pump .22's, thanks for the posts and especially the pictures. Making a good product better......

Hank
Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 AM
DeanV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys. I will need to keep this in mind if the stock set up of my rest starts to bother me.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 PM
06sandstone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice mods guys...

I've got one question. cast or aluminum?
And why?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cast if you care about your stuff not moving.

Aluminum if you care about moving your stuff.

Smooth.

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 02-18-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:00 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went with the cast iron rest..... a bit heavier, but that was what I wanted....something a bit heavier. Once I get more solidly into geezerland, I may revert to the aluminum.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
9 lb weight difference,If all your shooting is a .22 then you'll never move the aluminum mount IMO. I shoot my Garand off mine as well and it never flinch's with it either FWIW and it's lighter and easier to move to the bench or ground vs the heavier cast iron model and the shippin is cheaper as well. I haven't had to modify mine much,just took it apart,cleaned it up real good regreased it and lubed the cable using an old motorcycle cable lube tool and it works great,No shudder and functions better with minimum work. I think these may have been sittin a while and the grease dried out somewhat resulting in the chatter and shuttering others have complained about
Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Pastprime

TPC Rating: 
100% (119)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I went with the cast iron rest..... a bit heavier, but that was what I wanted....something a bit heavier. Once I get more solidly into geezerland, I may revert to the aluminum.
I'm already in geezerland USA so I bought the aluminum.......

Big difference when lugging the range gear around since I have my front and rear rest and a few other goodies in one big plastic tote box.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Old Man 58

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
I'm already in geezerland USA so I bought the aluminum.......

Big difference when lugging the range gear around since I have my front and rear rest and a few other goodies in one big plastic tote box.
Gotta a wagon for that
Old 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
The top of the line Bald Eagle rests have Dropped to 199.95

They will hold Protektor bags just fine.

Weight with Protektor sand filled front bag is 20.5lbs (cast iron)

I've found an excellent transport system.

The clamping plates can be moved outward. You'll only be using the 2 outside clamping screws, but it's rock solid.

Because of the windage cord, I needed to find a new carry case. This is a Stanley Promomobile Toolchest (Home Depot 49.95).
It holds the Slingshot perfectly with tons of room for the rear bag, and everything else I take to the range, all in one box.
The case itself is quite light, and as you can see even has a place for six boxes of 22 ammo (sorry won't hold Eley Ten-X ).

I should have gone this route years ago. The case has a nice handle on top to take it out of my vehicle, and then you can just roll it up to the benches.
Saves my back big time!

As far as the rest goes, everything functions just fine. I think others have posted all of those details, except their may have been some confusion on whether or not you could use other bags like Protektor, and what is the real weight with a front bag.

As I mentioned because the case (12lbs) is quite light compared to others, the total weight with the rest, rear bag (7lbs) , 60 rounds of .223 ammo, brass catcher, and some other small stuff is 43lbs.
I can lift that out of my car without problem, but that will be different for others.
Smooth
This is my answer to the weight/transport issue.

Smooth