Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:20 AM
rolltide
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Aguila Interceptor

A local stop has a large amount of this ammo and I'm unfamiliar with it. I've shot the Super Extra in the past with decent results but have never seen this ammo.

What are your experiences with it? I know every rifle or pistol will have a preference, but some rounds are more consistent.

ThNks!
Old 02-12-2015, 11:54 AM
ragswl4
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
A local stop has a large amount of this ammo and I'm unfamiliar with it. I've shot the Super Extra in the past with decent results but have never seen this ammo.

What are your experiences with it? I know every rifle or pistol will have a preference, but some rounds are more consistent.

ThNks!
In my experience they are reliable and inaccurate. I don't think its a good idea to use them in any semi-auto firearm. I bought a brick, shot one box in 4 different bolt action rifles and sold 9 of the boxes.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:09 PM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not a great choice for any semi-auto, might be ok in a bolt or single shot.

The Interceptor is one of the hottest .22 LR rounds available, it pushes a 40 grain bullet to almost the same speed as the lighter 32 grain hyper velocity rounds. It could damage a semi-auto or any older guns that weren't designed for hyper velocity ammo.

On the good side, it's a standard LR size case, not an extended case like the stinger and some other hyper velocity ammo.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 12:15 AM
Squirrelhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As has been mentioned, they are reliable, as well as loud and hard hitting. In my experience they are both better performing and more accurate than CCI's hyper velocity loads. My buddy and I have shot them out of several semi autos with good accuracy and no issues, but a steady diet of them would probably help wear out parts prematurely. Out to a hundred yards, these things pack a good wallop, and would do a number on varmints; it is also one of the few loads I would trust in a .22 for defensive use. As good as CCI's stuff is, I think Aguila ammo is every bit as good, if not better in some cases

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
Old 02-13-2015, 12:31 AM
Bob4BVM
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Far as I know this is THE hottest 40 gr round available.
Seems as accurate as any other HiVel round in my guns, certainly MORE accurate than hyper stuff like Stinger(1650?) and Aguila Super-Max (1750FPS).
As someone said, it's as good as you can do for a 22LR PD round, I pack a little 4" revolver when bow hunting and these are my goto for that.
Tested a bunch of HV loads in it a while back and to my amazement the Interceptor averaged 1200FPS from the 4" barrel !!!

There was a gentleman here at RFC, William Harper, who reported some pretty amazing accuracy results with this round.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:49 AM
amd6547

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've shot it in an SR22P, Beretta Bobcat, 10/22, and Beretta 71 with no issues and good accuracy.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 AM
VNBing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to VNBing
Confused.....sitting in front of me now I have 2 boxes of Aguila ammo, both labeled Super Extra.
One is a HV 38 grain HP, the other is a subsonic 38 grain HP.

By chance is the real Super Expert a 40 gr RN?

I still have 8 boxes of a brick of the SuperMax, I use them to make noise to scare the Starlings and Black birds off. I can't remember ever hitting one.

On the other hand, I can't ever remember an Aguila round never going off when the trigger was pulled
Old 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have shot the Interceptors, they are pretty accurate. But, I think most of the other offerings from Aguila are a little more accurate than they are. At least in my experience. That being said they are more accurate than anything Remmy offers....even if I shoot left handed!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:14 PM
caveman4857

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These are the main diet in my Talo mannlicher. But i did put in Kidd heavy spring JWH Bolt and round charging handle,This rifle is very accurate with the solid 40 gr.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:47 PM
rolltide

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks for the info!

I'll pick up a brick or two and see how my pistols and rifles like it.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:44 PM
303lithgow
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They are a great specialty round for hunting but over powered for everyday plinking. For accuracy I find them able to do the hunting job at 50 to 100 yards but I'm not going to bring home the gold with them.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 AM
William Harper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Aguila Interceptor is accurate in CZ's Ultra Lux Superexclusive!

March 10, 2015
My Fellow Shooters:
In my CZ Ultra Lux Superexclusive in quiet air from a supported position Aguila Interceptor 40 gr. .22LR has grouped 1" at 100 yards, 2.5" at 200 meters, 3.3" at 300 meters, 6.5-7" at 400 meters, 10" at 500 meters, 12" at 600 meters. The muzzle velocity was remarkably consistent 1462-1468 averaging 1465 fps- better than any match load from the 28.5" barrel. This is a remarkable performance. I would not use this load from a semi-automatic or a weak action like a pivoting block. Anyone who doubts this is welcome to come to the range. The round appears to have at least one third greater powder charge than any other .22 LR and it seems to contain two different powders indicated by a curious fouling building up about 8-10" beyond the chamber requiring cleaning and drying every 8-10 rounds if maximum accuracy is to be maintained; this is not unlike the 40-65 and 40-70 black powder cartridges or the .45-70 with black powder which require a wipe from the breech every ten shots to maintain accuracy. One mystery of the round is the opening of the group size past 300 meters when it pretty much doubles to 6.5-7" at 400 meters. A change in bullet stability due to diminishing velocity is the best explanation. One thing that fascinated me was the precise response to sight adjustment at 400 meters on Montgomery Yellowbooks; one click and I saw the group center climb a few inches. Between 300 and 400 meters the adjustment on the Mendoza sight is 150 clicks minimum. To 500 meters you must use all the elevation on the rear and drop the front sight 75%; it is a good idea to have some white paper above and below your target at 500 meters. For 600 meters drop your factory 452 front sight as far as you can get firm screw fastening. You might have to hold 12:00 on your target, depending on the temperature. No wind is the desired ideal for this kind of shooting. Penetration at 600 meters in creosoted gum railroad tie is the length of the bullet plus 1/16". In other words the round is about done at 600 meters. I have tried about every kind of .22 LR load made and have never encountered this kind of performance from any of them but Aguila Interceptor.
Respectfully,
Dr. William Harper, Ph.D.+

Last edited by William Harper; 03-30-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Richard King
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Harper View Post
March 10, 2015
My Fellow Shooters:
In my CZ Ultra Lux Superexclusive in quiet air from a supported position Aguila Interceptor 40 gr. .22LR has grouped 1" at 100 yards, 2.5" at 200 meters, 3.3" at 300 meters, 6.5-7" at 400 meters, 10" at 500 meters, 12" at 600 meters. The muzzle velocity was remarkably consistent 1462-1468 averaging 1465 fps- better than any match load from the 28.5" barrel. This is a remarkable performance. I would not use this load from a semi-automatic or a weak action like a pivoting block. Anyone who doubts this is welcome to come to the range. The round appears to have at least one third greater powder charge than any other .22 LR and it seems to contain two different powders indicated by a curious fouling building up about 8-10" beyond the chamber requiring cleaning and drying every 8-10 rounds if maximum accuracy is to be maintained; this is not unlike the 40-65 and 40-70 black powder cartridges or the .45-70 with black powder which require a wipe from the breech every ten shots to maintain accuracy. One mystery of the round is the opening of the group size past 300 meters when it pretty much doubles to 6.5-7" at 400 meters. A change in bullet stability due to diminishing velocity is the best explanation. One thing that fascinated me was the precise response to sight adjustment at 400 meters on Montgomery Yellowbooks; one click and I saw the group center climb a few inches. Between 300 and 400 meters the adjustment on the Mendoza sight is 150 clicks minimum. To 500 meters you must use all the elevation on the rear and drop the front sight 75%; it is a good idea to have some white paper above and below your target at 500 meters. For 600 meters drop your factory 452 front sight as far as you can get firm screw fastening. You might have to hold 12:00 on your target, depending on the temperature. No wind is the desired ideal for this kind of shooting. Penetration at 600 meters in creosoted gum railroad tie is the length of the bullet plus 1/16". In other words the round is about done at 600 meters. I have tried about every kind of .22 LR load made and have never encountered this kind of performance from any on them but Aguila Interceptor.
Respectfully,
Dr. William Harper, Ph.D.+

Thanks for your write up! Very interesting. Have you ever cronographed the Interceptors in shorter barrels. I have always been told the .22 RF ammo, is optimized for 18" barrels. And shooting it in longer length barrels, results in a loss of muzzle velocity.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Squirrelhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
Thanks for your write up! Very interesting. Have you ever cronographed the Interceptors in shorter barrels. I have always been told the .22 RF ammo, is optimized for 18" barrels. And shooting it in longer length barrels, results in a loss of muzzle velocity.
It's been a while since my buddy and I chrono'd the Interceptors out of a Henry H001's 18" barrel, and while I don't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head, they must have been pretty close to William's. I do know that they met or exceeded Aguila's advertised velocity specs (which, if IIRC, state 1,470 fps), so perhaps a shade higher than his long barrel results. I wish I had the results handy, but it's been a few years now...sorry I can't give you specifics at the moment.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

P.S. I also distinctly remember the Interceptors handily outperforming CCI's hyper velocity loads that we tested at the same time; I was surprised & impressed by Aguila, but disappointed in CCI, as it's Stinger and Velocitor failed to meet their claimed velocity ratings.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (150)
Matbe the accuracy if faultering at longer yardage is when they go subsonic? I have them but will choose CCI stingers any day.