CZ Extractors/Ejection Again - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:15 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
CZ Extractors/Ejection Again

After reading about and experiencing fired case ejection issues with various 452 CZ's I think I have a fix that should help out here. In most rifles I have seen the problem occur in the extractor and or holder "dropping" the fired case before it gets to the ejector post. What I have found to best correct this is filing or stoning a small flat spot on the very end of the pointed area on the holder that contacts the case, this helps holds the case in place until it get to the ejector post. The last two rifles I applied this fix to will eject the fired case no matter how fast or slow you move the bolt back. You may want to try this method if you are having ejection issues with your CZ 452.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:46 AM
motorcycleboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
25% (-1)
Close up pictures?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Steve in IN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not his, but what's worked for others:

Old 12-05-2014, 11:20 AM
2mene22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I got a couple of sets of BRNO Mod 2 extractors from Denny. They have a thicker claw..
Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycleboy View Post
Close up pictures?
I will try and get photos of the work but there really is not much to see,it held the case firmly,the holder was the culprit in every one I have worked on, dropping the case as soon as it cleared the chamber,the dragging it loosely back to the ejector which as we know does not work.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:03 PM
butchi003
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Old 12-05-2014, 05:25 PM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Good photos Butchi.......thats it right there,I also notice you have the firing pin to strike inside the rim....mine are the same
Old 12-05-2014, 05:34 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Harold,

You nailed it! Personally haven't had but a few CZs that had some issues. All were quickly fixed by installing new Brno extractors.

But, had one that was a buggerhead. Tried a new Brno ejector plate, new Brno extractors. Nothing worked. Had some experience with Annie ejection issues, and am not afraid of a file.

Found just "nubbing" the holder solved the issue completely. You could actually see the spent casing getting knocked off as it got pulled back before doing this mod.

Good job, and thanks for posting this.
Kenny
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 PM
butchi003
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cznut View Post
Good photos Butchi.......thats it right there,I also notice you have the firing pin to strike inside the rim....mine are the same
Thank you, CZNUT!
The firing pins are not modified, this is an optic illusion because the strikers are retracted, inside the bolt. I modified one striker which was anyway hitting the breach but later it ended in my tool box. I shortened it and it was fine, but later reshaped it to hit inside the rim according to some suggestions here just to find out that it started occasionally puncturing holes in the cases. I cured this by carefully rounding the edges. Anyway, I think that the original shape of the strikers ends is just optimal and it provides the best support for the case during the shot. Also, they are perfectly angled to contact the inside part of the case first.

The holders, on the other hand are different story. Many of them are defective, because they are ground to sharp, pyramidal edge. On the next photos one of the holders is defective, from a new rifle and one is from a LH rifle which was not badly shaped but was not hardened enough and it worn out for less than 100-200 shots.

Last edited by butchi003; 12-05-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:10 AM
Rule-303

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps my experience is unusual, but all my extraction issues have been operator affected. By changing the way I reverse the bolt: i.e. applying slight upward pressure, I have had no issues with extraction.
I wonder has anyone else found this?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchi003 View Post
Thank you, CZNUT!
The firing pins are not modified, this is an optic illusion because the strikers are retracted, inside the bolt. I modified one striker which was anyway hitting the breach but later it ended in my tool box. I shortened it and it was fine, but later reshaped it to hit inside the rim according to some suggestions here just to find out that it started occasionally puncturing holes in the cases. I cured this by carefully rounding the edges. Anyway, I think that the original shape of the strikers ends is just optimal and it provides the best support for the case during the shot. Also, they are perfectly angled to contact the inside part of the case first.

The holders, on the other hand are different story. Many of them are defective, because they are ground to sharp, pyramidal edge. On the next photos one of the holders is defective, from a new rifle and one is from a LH rifle which was not badly shaped but was not hardened enough and it worn out for less than 100-200 shots.

I guess that was an illusion,anyway I havent had the punctured cases with the firing pin mod, I do just barely take it inside the rim when I do it. The holders are all different it seems I have rarely came across any on the CZs I have owned that did not need work to eject correctly.Great photos again.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule-303 View Post
Perhaps my experience is unusual, but all my extraction issues have been operator affected. By changing the way I reverse the bolt: i.e. applying slight upward pressure, I have had no issues with extraction.
I wonder has anyone else found this?
I haven't found it on a CZ, but if I did it would not be acceptable to me to have to hold pressure on the bolt in a particular direction in order for the gun to cycle properly. My Model 1 did require that type of pressure in order to have 100% success in case ejection, so I repaired it (shimmed the ejector plate a tiny bit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cznut View Post
I guess that was an illusion,anyway I havent had the punctured cases with the firing pin mod, I do just barely take it inside the rim when I do it. The holders are all different it seems I have rarely came across any on the CZs I have owned that did not need work to eject correctly.Great photos again.
Interesting. One of us has luck at the extreme end of the scale, but not sure which one is abnormal. I have 14 CZs and have encountered no extraction or ejection problems. All extract and throw the spent case well clear of the gun. I guess now I'll start paying closer attention to see what the variations are, but none have made me think they need adjustments.