My first pillar bed...in a Hogue - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first pillar bed...in a Hogue (updated 10-25)

Supplies are trickling in. Zoros sent the devcon next day at no additional charge. The pillar set up from raven was ordered this morning. I know this is not the ideal stock but this is for learning before an undecided stock. Hence why such a fun color (it also glows in the dark!)

The balance point of my scoped action is about a 1/4" before the first "rib" after the takedown pad. Could I just fill the the whole chamber with the Devcon?

Also, what can I do in preparation while I'm waiting for the pillar? I have read all of the threads about the process but still do not understand clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lee45; 10-25-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first pillar bed...in a Hogue

One more thing

When checking my rear tang for metal to metal contact, I also checked the receiver/shelf fit. Absolutely no contact.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay just one more

How can I properly bed the rear tang with it already epoxied into place?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:45 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee45 View Post
Okay just one more

How can I properly bed the rear tang with it already epoxied into place?

You have to tape off the stock with blue painters tape and hope it holds on the Hogue. Then coat the inside of the escutcheon, the entire tang (inside and out), the receiver and the fastener with release agent. Then apply bedding compound to all contact areas in the stock and on the tang and receiver. Be sure to run a toothpick on the inside corners where the tang meets the receiver to push out any air bubbles and ensure solid bedding. Then install the action and squeeze out excess compound. Strap together with elastic bands, then CLEAN OUT any mud from the threads of the escutcheon using acetone and QTips. Install the tang screw and torque to spec (20 inch pounds). I leave a roll of compound standing "proud" of the tang and stock, let it set up that way, then hand file to flush.

I use Devcon for bedding and Kiwi Neutral shoe polish for my release agent.

Check these threads till your eyes bleed:

Sticky: Gunnerbedding:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=526029

Rear tang and pillar bedding:

Sticky: PWS Raptor

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=489351

Sticky: Tacsol Vantage:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=477781

Fat Boy:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=527301

Hope this helps-

DrGunner
Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did just remove the rear tang escutcheon and cleaned out the countersink. When I go to bed it, beforehand do I install the screw in the tang snug the escutcheon tight to the bottom on the dang to get desired height? And can I bed the rails/ledges so the bottom of the receiver can rest? Right now they don't make any contact.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
I did just remove the rear tang escutcheon and cleaned out the countersink. When I go to bed it, beforehand do I install the screw in the tang snug the escutcheon tight to the bottom on the dang to get desired height?

Yes, snug it onto the tang, still coat the screw and threads inside the escutcheon with release agent. Follow previous instructions RE: mud application.

Quote:
And can I bed the rails/ledges so the bottom of the receiver can rest? Right now they don't make any contact.
I would bed them. I haven't had the issue you show in the pics with the receiver floating free of the rails because I mill out the floor of the TD area slightly, then set the pillar just proud of the new floor- with the rails of the receiver making full contact with the ledge inside the stock along the full length on both sides.

I will say this- bedding those rails is not easy to do clean, make SURE you fill all holes in the receiver with plumbers putty and then apply masking tape over the holes on the inside of the receiver to avoid having Devcon push the putty in and lock the receiver in the stock. Bed it with the TG removed and make sure to clean off the excess mud that squeezes off of the ledge inside of the receiver before you cover the access area with elastic straps when you put it up to set overnight.

DrGunner
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Doc

I ordered the 14 ga hypodermic you mentioned in your how-to. Do you think I would be able to fill the gap after I set the action in the wet devcon?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Thank you Doc

I ordered the 14 ga hypodermic you mentioned in your how-to. Do you think I would be able to fill the gap after I set the action in the wet devcon?

Yes, but I've always gotten the best results when the compound is applied to the action and stock in excess, squeezing out the runoff. Always best to apply more than you need than not enough. Also, when you do apply it to the action, WORK the compound onto ALL surfaces like you're icing a cake- this is the best way to ensure a glass smooth result, with no voids or air pockets.
You can fill gaps at the top with the syringe if needed, but it's always better to apply to stock and action and have it gushing out, slowly cleaning off the run over as the action settles by gravity at first, then compression by hand and elastic, plus the TD screw which should be torqued to spec AFTER you strap down the rear.

Czech out some of the CZs I did earlier this year:

CZ 452 Varmint

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=553469

CZ 452 Silhouette:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=553471

DrGunner
Old 10-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Zen900
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Very well designed bedding. Reminds me of the Savage style accustock with aluminum frame bedding. The front and rear pillar reminds
me of the K98 Mauser. Bedding a rifle receiver is an old art.

As far as the color: if you don't like it the Krylon spray colors really stick well to synthetic stocks. Personally I kinda like that green. Never seen that
color before.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 AM
JimBianchi
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dr G, love the shoe polish idea. Never would thought of it. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
Dr G, love the shoe polish idea. Never would thought of it. Thanks!
Jim- check out the sticky in the stockmaking section on Gunnerbedding, lots of tips and tricks there- best way to apply the shoe polish is to warm the surface with a heat gun, or for large areas like receivers and barrels, light the shoe polish on fire, let it melt about 3/16" deep, snuff it out with the lid, then dab it on with a lint free cloth.

Buff it out gently to leave a hazy layer, enough to make a smear mark when you drag you finger through it, but not too thick. When you apply the Devcon, SMEAR it onto the action applying mild force, like buttering toast. The end result is a glass smooth, solid bedding job-

DrGunner
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What size forstner bit will I need for the raven eye flanged pillar? And what size but for the pillar...7/16?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It takes a 3/4", but I'm not to sure how they would work on plastic!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not so worried about how it looks before bedding. If the flange is laying flat against the receiver, I am cool with it. You should have seen the mess dremeling out the tang!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Lee45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I should probably degrease the stock before bedding too. Acetone?