Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:10 AM
brven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
trombone

I am from Czech Republic. Before 41 years ago I first held a .22 rifle companies FN Herstal. I did not know type the gun, but it was my love. The rifle was not mine, because in the former Czechoslovakia was not able to keep privately weapon, gun was illegal and was "lost" in the same year. After 41 years, I have met with the rifle again, quite by chance, and I legally bought the rifle. I would like to know its history. I looking on the internet, but I have not found the answer. My guess is that it was made around 1930, but the stock does not match any pictures found on the Google.com, phrase "browning fn trombone pump rifle 22 lr" Pictures Options.
Serial number of the rifle is 26781.

Can you write to me when it was made and whether it is an original design?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 AM
brven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
trombone foto

How do I insert a photo?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
brven, first Welcome, if you could post some photos of the rifle the odds are very good someone here can help with information about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Brven's photos...

Brven..opening a Photobucket or similar photo hosting account and following Flysalot's link will allow you to post in the future.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
brven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
directly foto from PC

It goes directly from my computer? without reference to album on the web page?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 AM
brven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks

to gmd1950
thank you
Old 10-07-2014, 08:53 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a Trombone all right. But it appears to have been custom restocked at some time. The rear sight doesn't look familiar either....from what I can tell from the photo. The early ones had a rear sight with a screw adjustment for elevation - sort of like the old Remington Model 12's. The later ones had the sliding elevator ramp.

As far as using the serial number to pin down year of manufacture.......good luck with that - I know of no existing records that can help there.

But that is a fairly early serial number, so perhaps early 1930's?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:32 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brven View Post
to gmd1950
thank you
You're very welcome.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I love the Trombone and have a few, they are a lot of fun to shoot and are very reliable.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:12 AM
brven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
detail

I wrote 14 days ago in FN Herstal and they did not answer yet.
I am adding some photos of the details of my rifles.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70z9idqwuj...pg?n=348141862
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45rbbrkakk...pg?n=348141862
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eub94tjhm...pg?n=348141862
Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM
brven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the answer

Hello everyone,
I received the answer today from the company Herstal:

"Dear Sir,
We confirm it is a FN Trobone Carbine, caliber .22.
It was manufactured in August 1928.
Best regards,

Anny Hendriks
Assistant to Robert Sauvage
CEO
Ars Mechanica Foundation
The Herstal Group Foundation
Tel. +32/4/240 8911
Fax +32/4/240 8816
[email protected] "

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:17 PM
GreenerMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb FN Trombone Model Feeding and Accuracy Issues

Noted in Bromancer's post that he had problems with feeding, which he partially corrected with a q-tip stick (rather clever, actually, although I am sure John Browning would flinch at the thought :-)

One thing that most people i have spoken with seem to have glossed over is that many of the Trombones out there are marked ".22 L" which people assume means Long Rifle. Many of these people have noted poor accuracy, functioning or both.
Now it may be the elevator is worn but what I suspect is that the gun is actually chambered for the .22 Long, NOT the .22LR (remember how old many of these guns are). Usually you can get them to feed if you pull the slide back and slowly bring it forward for chambering the round. A .22LR round will often hit ever so slightly below the chamber and won't chamber on a fast pump, whereas a slower forward movement of the pump will often allow the round to chamber.

Naturally, that is not how Mr. Browning would have designed the gun, hence I believe that it is a result of incorrectly using .22LR in a .22 Long. To further back my hypothesis, I would urge people to check out the twist of their barrels; I would wager that those guns that won't feed, or, alternately, that are not that accurate, actually have a very slow twist suited to the 29-grain bullet of the .22 Long or .22 Short. In my rifle I have had excellent accuracy (and feeding) when using the .22 Long (usually .22 Short for supply purposes) but indifferent accuracy for .22 LR/40-grain bullets. What actually led me to this investigation was noting the above results but also noting that, when I used CCI .22 Stingers (not endorsing the practice but I have done it) the accuracy is on par with the results obtained with the .22 Long/Short. Of course, a CCI Stinger uses a 32-grain bullet which is readily stabilized with a slower-twist than a 40-grain bullet would be.

Anecdotally, in handling around two dozen Trombones over the years I have never actually seen a .22 LR marked Trombone although a gunsmith acquaintance assures me he has seen them. The slower-twist barrel on the few that I have checked specifically leads me to believe that this is a situation that should be considered when working with your own Trombone model; it could provide some insight or something for someone to research further. Also, I have NEVER personally handled a Trombone model that did not have cracking around the grip.

Having said all that, it is my personal favourite in .22s both in styling and the fact that my grandfather gave me mine as my first rifle. Never discount sentimentality...
Old 11-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
GreenMan is certainly on the right track (IMHO), I never use full power LR in my Trombones but usually some form of Longs and some standard velocity LR's - never Hyper Velocity LR's.

I do have one Trombone marked .22 Short (or .22 C for .22 Corto) "22.C 22 SHORT SMOKELESS" I'd have to go look to refresh my memory since it's been a while since I've handled it.

Some brands of .22 L or LR have inconveniently shaped bullets as far as the Trombone are concern and I just avoid them.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:04 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All I have ever seen were marked ".22 L". However, I have heard of at least one other type of gun - a bolt action - that was made in Europe and also marked that way....but obviously chambered for long rifle. All I have ever owned never had issues with feeding or firing long rifle....but I always use standard velocity as it tends to offer greater accuracy....even in my modern guns. As far as rate of twist.....I haven't checked that, but if someone does I'd be curious as to what they find.

It seems odd to me that if the gun was meant to fire nothing bigger than the long cartridge that it would be chambered to accept the long rifle cartridge.....many of the Winchester 1890's were chambered for long, were marked that way, and would not accept the long rifle cartridge.

But heck, I've been wrong before......
Old 11-17-2014, 11:56 AM
JRexA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The first one I had, it said Short, Long and Long Rifle on the box and in the manuel.

It was from the early to mid 1950'ies and wasn't groved for a scope.

I Don't remember what was stamped on the barrel, and it was stolen, more than 20 years ago.

I shot any cheap ammo I could find in it, mostly Std. Vel, but I also tried Remington Yellow Jacket, CCI Mini Mag, Winchester Power Point and Winchester Lazer.

I never had a failure to feed.