The Colt Woodsman pistol - a retrospective - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Hanshi
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I managed to pick up a (third series, I guess) sport target a few years before they were discontinued. It's the perfect .22LR field pistol, IMHO. I also have a Victor and a MkI Ruger Bull Barrel target pistol but the Woodsman has seen the most time in the squirrel woods. It is light and handy and a good investment. I still shoot mine occasionally.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Litetrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have had many of these. The 4 1/2" models sell for a bit more.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:54 PM
WitchDoctor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaVettes View Post
WitchDoctor:

Thanks!

It is in nice shape and looks better in person than in these pics.

I didn't seem to be able to get all of the oil film off and got a few weird reflections
and too much glare from the overhead lights in the shop.

Here's a link to a thread discussing whether or not these pistols were issued and used aboard what planes, etc:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt...-woodsman.html

Thanks!

Don
Thanks for that, Don - I've learned much in the last couple of days since you posted that link. Fascinating read, and I'll be on the lookout for Air Force Woodsmans in the future.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got one like your's today, a Match Target 4 1/2", though it has the plastic grips. It came in a box, turns out not the original box but it is a nice one. SN 97806-S. Nice condition, easily 95%. It has one grip extender, the larger one, no tools, but with manual and target, but sadly not the target for this pistol, for 104913-S, a Sport Model. Still, a very nice pistol, not a Smith 41 but good.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Chubbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi, All:
I need some help. I have come to the point in my life at 85 yrs. when I know that it is time to thin out my accumulation of gun parts, and related accessories. Some of these things are needed, and would be appreciated by younger, active collectors. What I need to know is the best places to list the parts that I should sell, and prices. The big problem that I face, is memory loss, and that I haven't kept up with computing procedures, and skills so, I'll have to go from there. For an example I have a Stevens Pre War Woodsman adjustable rear sight, that I bought many years ago, thinking to replace the fixed rear sight on my wife's Huntsman. Here is a picture of this sight, along with some other sights that I'v accumulated over the years, and will never use. Got any suggestions? Thanks.
Chubbo
Sorry I am unable to post pictures on this forum.

Last edited by Chubbo; 11-20-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 PM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could sell parts on Ebay. I think you will get a fair or top price if you put an accurate title on your listing and add good pictures.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:09 PM
prewoodsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbo View Post
Hi, All:
I need some help. I have come to the point in my life at 85 yrs. when I know that it is time to thin out my accumulation of gun parts, and related accessories. Some of these things are needed, and would be appreciated by younger, active collectors. What I need to know is the best places to list the parts that I should sell, and prices. The big problem that I face, is memory loss, and that I haven't kept up with computing procedures, and skills so, I'll have to go from there. For an example I have a Stevens Pre War Woodsman adjustable rear sight, that I bought many years ago, thinking to replace the fixed rear sight on my wife's Huntsman. Here is a picture of this sight, along with some other sights that I'v accumulated over the years, and will never use. Got any suggestions? Thanks.
Chubbo
Sorry I am unable to post pictures on this forum.
I have sent you a private message in regards.
Check your inbox.
Tom
Old 11-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Chubbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ivory Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountieFan16 View Post
Here's a couple of photos of my Series 2 Woodsman, made in 1948. The grips are elephant ivory by Mike Poulin.
Hi, MountyFan:
I think those are the first elephant Ivory grips, and the best looking grips I,v ever seen on a Colt Woodsman! I see you also live in Ohio, and share another of my passions, motorcycles. I,v been trying to give up Motorcycles, and Side Cars, having reached the big 85yrs. but still have two Cycles, a Side Car, and a Vespa Scooter. I tried to give up motorcycles by selling my BMW "Chrome Head" Cruiser, and getting myself a Vespa. If you ever decide to part with those Ivory grips, for any reason keep me in mind. I,v got all kind of trade'n stock. Where is that grip maker, Mike Poulin located? Thanks.
Chubbo
Old 11-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Brett Mc

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Chubbo,
Take whatever advice/suggestions prewoodsman has offered, he will go out of his way to steer you in the best direction.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Old Sensei

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re: 22 match target

I was going to give this to my nephew but knowing how he "thinks" he would probably say, "It must not be very good if they don't manufacture it anymore."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22 Colt Match Target.jpg (345.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:14 PM
prewoodsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Few things in today's world are actually hand made.
Your 2nd series (1947 -1955) 6" Match Target with Sanderson stocks is too nice an example for the unappreciative individual, relative or not.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:18 PM
824tsv
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sensei View Post
I was going to give this to my nephew but knowing how he "thinks" he would probably say, "It must not be very good if they don't manufacture it anymore."
Any chance you can take a pic of the muzzle. Interesting muzzle brake you have there.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Old Sensei

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re: muzzle brake

Unfortunately, my system for downloading photos is not working. The muzzle brake appears to be perfectly attached (I am not sure how). It has 3 horizontal cuts on top. I bought it at a local gunshow. I assume the original owner was serious about target shooting.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Chubbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
And from 1952 we have this fine example with a nice set of Target Grips:
[IMG][/IMG]
Hi, vertfish:
Those target grips look great, any idea of the maker? I have the same model Colt Woodsman, but from 1950. It was the one that I used in Bullseye matches. Back then at 19 yrs. I was not up to date on the accessories available to the shooting world, so, I carved my own target grips, done my own trigger job etc. Well, I still have the Woodsman, there has been a bushel basket of std. velocity .22LR shot in it, It has been my field carry gun for all these years, the hand carved grips are way too small to use and I hate the plastic grips, but, I love that old gun, and wouldn't take anything for it. I want to pass it down to my son when I pass on, if he is interested. I'd love to post a picture of it, but am not allowed to post more than the three pictures that I already have posted.
Chubbo
Old 01-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Bearnut

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Some great stories and nice pics too! Good things happen in gun stores