Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Self-made spring compressor for MKII striker

As part of the "sticky" taking apart the MKII bolt such that we can polish up the internals---> here---> https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=78552

....and here for the Accutrigger models--> https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=230883

Notice that it is really tough to remove and re-install the "e"-clip that captures the striker spring, you need 3 or 4 hands. To make this easier, I fashioned a small "spring compressor" from some simple hardware pieces:

- some Stanley shelf support "angles" that I bent flat for each end of the compressor. They each had a few screw holes in them.
- two threaded carriage-bolt rods, 6" long ( 1/4-20 pitch), with nuts

...and came up with this---->

I had to carefully drill out the existing hole of the compressor-end that fits over the striker. The hole had to be "just" small enough to capture the spring.... but large enough to allow the "e"-clip to pass through. I taped up the ends of the compressor, to provide for a cushion to the bolt, and also to prevent marring the bolt handle.

Here is another view, close up....easy-peesy to screw down the nuts and then have free-hands to take off the clip. Once you compress the spring you can lay this assembly flat to get even better access to the e-clip with a screwdriver tip from one side and a finger ( to prevent clip loss !!) on the other side. Costs all-together less than $2.00-->

I hope this can be of help to someone doing this..... it made the rest of the job so much more pleasant not wrestling with taking the e-clip on and off under spring pressure.

Last edited by IPSC; 02-15-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Photo's are a no show as of 4:58pm....
Old 10-23-2013, 04:08 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I edited my post to re-boot the photos.....can you see it now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Flint Mitch
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I canhumbup:

Mitch
Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Yepper, they're back...thanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:42 PM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Easy and cheap.....hope it helps folks when polishing up the bolt.....fantastic difference in operational feel.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Neat trick
I'll bet the unwary have managed to "launch" a few of these E clips & striker springs during this process
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 AM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have always pushed down on the spring with a small open end wrench.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
OK.... you can hold down with a wrench like the sticky tutorial shows....then what?

You need another pair of hands to wrestle the "e"-clip off from the bottom legs with a flat-tip screwdriver, while at the same time positioning your "free" hand over the top of the clip to capture it while it comes off to avoid launching it into space. This....all-the-while compressing the spring with other "hands". Too many hands are needed IMHO.

And the amount of "ledge" space for the wrench to act-on is awfully small. The "e" clip is 0.282" in diameter. The spring is 0.323" diameter. Precious little room for error.

Why go thru such a hassle?. My view anyway. Spring compressor, once tightened-up, can be laid flat anywhere for you to get to the clip easily enough

Last edited by IPSC; 10-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Zoltron.22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

I too had the MATRIX slow mo affect happened As a bolt spring flys tru the garage/kitchen trying to track it mind air lol , whats a stricker
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC View Post
OK.... you can hold down with a wrench like the sticky tutorial shows....then what?

You need another pair of hands to wrestle the "e"-clip off from the bottom legs with a flat-tip screwdriver, while at the same time positioning your "free" hand over the top of the clip to capture it while it comes off to avoid launching it into space. This....all-the-while compressing the spring with other "hands". Too many hands are needed IMHO.

And the amount of "ledge" space for the wrench to act-on is awfully small. The "e" clip is 0.282" in diameter. The spring is 0.323" diameter. Precious little room for error.

Why go thru such a hassle?. My view anyway. Spring compressor, once tightened-up, can be laid flat anywhere for you to get to the clip easily enough

I can't answer that, because I never had any problems with the 8 bolts that I have had apart numerous times? I use a wrench that is about 3" long and easily hold the bolt and wrench in one hand. I suppose you could wrap the bolt in a rag and put it in a vise, if that fails. I guess with a mechanical background, I'd rather spend a couple of extra seconds doing a job than making a tool?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Different strokes for different folks I guess....I too can get a wrench on the bolt to compress the spring but that still leaves only one-other hand available to get the clip off. I prefer to have one hand under the clip ( to get it off) and one hand/finger over the clip ( to avoid launch)....and not have to "keep pressure" on the assembly with the first hand all the while. Making the tool only took "minutes" and I then have it for other work for other projects too.

Not saying this is the only way to do it....just offering options.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 AM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
A Harbor Freight O-ring pick parked by a magnet makes the e-clip behave nicely.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM
IPSC

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Moorepower.....as I said.... " Not saying this is the only way to do it....just offering options...."
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
O...K...