Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Eliminator Transformed (pics)

Back story is DocG came to me about this project idea he had a little while back. The project.......take a new Eliminator stock and make it into a bench rest stock by widening the forend. We put our heads to gether and came up with a game plan. Acquire a Boyd's Forest laminated blank colored similar to the Timber Eliminator that was to be the base stock. Then cut out a smaller blank to be used for the forend piece on the Eliminator. Width he was shooting for was to be 3" so we decided to turn the 2 1/4" thick blank 90 degrees and get the 3" width desired. Also lend further contrast by seeing the stock laminations edgewise.

First of was the need top mill the existing stock forend flat and true to the barrel channel:

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img89/8905/img2922q.jpg[img/]

Due to the original shape of the eliminator forend bottom it was necessary to step cut the bottom to retain as much cross section as possible and yet still achieve the desired configuration. Of course this made milling the new forend piece more complicated, but achievable with due care. Here is the raw blank block cut from the laminated stock blank.

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/9825/img2923b.jpg (1732 kB)

And milled for the step and rough fit:

Then I milled a "keyway" in the Eliminator forend body that was parallel to the barrel channel:

More to come:

Last edited by TheGeek; 05-07-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Image was a bit large. Testing a new mod to help that!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 AM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
More

Once the keyway was milled in the stock forend I needed to mill a matching keyway in the forend blank:

Then I took a piece of hard white maple and milled a key to fit the keyway:

The fit was what is called a tap fit, snug in the stock keyway and the forend blank. You can see how they will fit together in this picture:

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (2077 kB)

The key will lend lateral strength to the stock/forend blank glue joint as well as insure the alignment is true to the barrel channel.

More to come:

Last edited by TheGeek; 05-07-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Sweet jumping beans, that was a REALLY large image. I just resized it for you ;)
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 AM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
And More

After much hand shaping and milling I arrived at this roughed shape:

I sent pics of the rough shape to DocG and we discussed it. The decision was made to mill the forend piece so that it wasn't quite so "tall". We did this in two stages to insure I didn't cut it too short. Here is where we area at now:

I also had to mill the receiver end of the forend piece to match the existing inletting.

That is where it is right now. Done for the night. Tomorrow I will do the 7/16 drill thru for the front takedown. And also do the stock inletting for a KIDD Rear Tang and DocG's front pillar. As well as adding a couple of dowels in the front end of the forend piece and glue the 2 pieces together permanently.

More to come:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
George- Thank you SO much for taking on this project...
Somehow I just knew you would be able to create the stock I had in mind.
I really like how it looks already!
I'm pretty sure Revolution uses satin urethane on their matte finish Eliminators.
I will email Revolution and Stockys to see what kind of response I get.
Definitely going to keep the satin finish on this stock.
The Tomahawk will be the one that gets a glossier finish.

Both stocks bedded for one action:

Regards-

DrGunner
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 PM
jcrowleyiv

TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
The MAD SCIENTIST and his ultra-capable craftsman strike again!!!!!

You guys are really a pair - hopefully you will always use your respective powers for good and not evil!!!!!!! I can only imagine the vicious, villainous vile you two could perpetrate if you were to cross over to the evil empire of black rifles.

Great job so far

John
That is why it is called "the present".
Old 04-14-2013, 12:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
If No. Korea got their hands on these Guys and MacGyver the world would be screwed Throw in a pallet of Tampax and Duct Tape and they just may be able to make that bomb.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
roofdog1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nothing short of master artistry and craftmanship.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Dr Heckel

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I can't wait to see how this turns out! So far it's lookin' good
Old 04-14-2013, 03:17 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
More

And continuing on, I deciuded to not only glue but to also use cabinet installing screws and screw the two pieces together. These screws are VERY strong.

I used a three step process when I drill these types of things. Ya don't have to, but it is just the way I am made up. Gonna do it do it right.........hopefully

The pic shows the three tools I used for these holes. Starting at the top is a ncenter finder which I used to locate the exact center of the eisting takedown hole and have a zero reference point for locating the screws properly. The middle tool is called a center drill. You use these to locate your holes precisely. Also drills the countersink at the same time, for the screw head. Reason for doing it this way is that even with a centerpunched hole location a drill tends to "wander" a bit depending on the staring point configuration. By using a center drill you pre-drill a hole and add a tapered countersink that will work to keep the drill centered on the hole locator and not wander off to one side or the other. Ands of course then you have the drill bit itself.

Here are all the holes drilled with countersinks and ready for the screws.

The components to be installed:

And the screws installed after applying the glue to the forend piece and locating it correctly, then clamping as well:

Now just a matter of waiting for the glue to set up. Probably will not get back to this until late next week. On the road in New Mexico........

More to come:
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM
smalljaw111
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AZGUY, you do great work!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Stealth01
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
George,
You and I are going to have to talk!! Fascinating post!!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
So, I emailed Revolution gunstocks (makers of the Eliminator) to inquire about the satin finish on the Eliminator. Here's their response:

Good Morning Kevin, thankyou for the email. It is a polyurethane~ We use a Sherwin Williams brand, 2 part conversion varnish, to achieve the satin finish on all of our stocks. You should be able contact your local store and find something very similar. If you have further questions, please let us know, thank you and have a great day. Erin w/ Revolution

DrGunner
Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Milkeeg74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man, thank you guys for sharing this project! I can't wait to see the finished product!
Greg
Old 04-15-2013, 06:35 PM
MikeInHawaii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Drool

All those toys, er, tools he gets to play with! All I've got is a table saw, planer and drill press. Very nice work and waiting to see the final reveal.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 AM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
And Some More:

Got to work a bit on the stock tonight. Did the front pillar and rear tang inletting. One this I am doing now is using a woodruff key cutter to make the tang inlet about .093 wider per side, below the top where you won't see it. This allows me to keep the top of the stock looking smooth and finished and the tang looking fitted to the stock wood. The mechanical lock this creates for the bedding material is very strong and should serve it's purpose well.

And here she is with the barreled action installed loose:

More shaping to come after discussions with DocG tonight. Says he is turning me loose to do my thing.....crazy mad scientist that he is.

Last edited by azguy; 04-19-2013 at 12:13 AM.