Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM
AndyPrice44
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Average barrel life of .22lr

I was just wondering what the average lifespan of a .22lr barrel is? I have heard several different opinions on this subject. Has anyone actually seen a documented study on how many rounds it takes untill accuracy starts to go downhill? I have also heard that you do more damage to your barrel by cleaning it excessively than by normal wear from shooting. If any of you guys are competition rimfire shooters, how often do you replace your barrel? What would be a good cleaning method to ensure a long barrel life? Should I stay away from bronze brushes or boresnakes? Sorry for asking so many questions all in one post. I realize each of these questions could possibly be a seperate topic all by itself....

I guess I will sum it up this way. How many rounds does it take to wear out a .22 barrel and what are you guys doing to ensure you get the longest lifespan possible from your barrel?

I hope I am not opening up the can of worms with this post. I'm sure there are several good methods and every person is a bit different. I'm just looking for helpful suggestions as there are members here with a great wealth of information.

I am looking forward to reading your responses and interesting theories on barrel lifespan and wear prevention.

Andy

Last edited by AndyPrice44; 01-26-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM
HOGMAN
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
10 22 barrel life

Andy, I shot my first 22 rifle when I was about 6yrs old, and I am 67 now. I have nerver seen one with the barrel shot out. I have seen some of the older ones that were pitted real bad and most shot ok. I have a rem auto thay looks like the browning, feeds through the stock and ejects out the bottom. it had a sweeled place about 8" from the front end of the barrel and it shot real tight groups at 50y. I gave 17.00$ for it about 30yrs ago and had it refinished by a gunsmith, he filed the barrel down where it had the bulge and reblued the whole gun and I redid the wood. the only way to tell there was a bulge is when you pull a patch through it I guess what I am saying, I have never saw one that was (shot out), and I have a few old moss's that were made in the 30s and 40s and are very accurate. Jim.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have a Ruger bearcat my grandfather gave me the day I was born. Been shooting it for 30 plus years. Shot is ALLOT when I was a teen and the bore is still nice and shiny the lands and groves are clear and sharp.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
jlr2267

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning your bore will not hurt it...just clean from the breech end if using a rod. A boresnake is fine, as is a brass brush.

I suppose a barrel can be "shot-out" but I have never seen one. I have a Stevens that was manufactured in 1944, used for several years by my uncle before he left for the Korean war, at which time he gave it to my dad (his brother). My dad told me he put 50,000+ rounds through it in the 50 or so years he had it. I personally have put another 15k+ since I got it several years ago when my dad passed. It is more accurate than any 22 I have ever owned or shot. Maybe that's not many rounds by today's standards, I don't know, but it convinces me that it takes a lot of shooting to wear out a 22 barrel.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM
trueg50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most accurate .22 I have is a 77/22 from a Boy Scout Camp with many many tens of thousands of rounds through it.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
MAYBE, and old shooting gallery gun. Imagine the rounds that went through them.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Encorehunter
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have personally shot out a barrel on a 10-22. It was a present for my 16th birthday, and it was my competition gun. By my figuring, it was a little over 200K rounds, maybe 215K. It was about 4 years ago, I started loosing accuracy. It kept getting worse and worse. I gave it to a gunsmithing student who took it to school. They replaced the barrel, and asked if they could keep the old one for a show and tell piece. I don't know if it is a fluke or not.
I would usually shoot 50-100 rounds a day in the off season, and 4-500 a day when I was competing.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 PM
turborscapri1984

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encorehunter View Post
I have personally shot out a barrel on a 10-22. It was a present for my 16th birthday, and it was my competition gun. By my figuring, it was a little over 200K rounds, maybe 215K. It was about 4 years ago, I started loosing accuracy. It kept getting worse and worse. I gave it to a gunsmithing student who took it to school. They replaced the barrel, and asked if they could keep the old one for a show and tell piece. I don't know if it is a fluke or not.
I would usually shoot 50-100 rounds a day in the off season, and 4-500 a day when I was competing.
What a pile of junk. It only made it through 200k+ rounds?

Lemme see 200,000 x $0.03 = $6000.00 worth of ammo. Not bad for a $200 rifle!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM
FarmDad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never seen one shot out , seen quite a few abused out though between pitting and messed up crowns .
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Ram Rod
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Depends on how you take care of it, what it's made of, and what you put it through (or what you put through it). Don't expect more....and by no means....expect less. Any firearm you own now should be the worry of your heirs. If you don't think your current firearm is worthy of your heirs....then by all means get something they'll think of you for on your passing. You can't take it with you.
I'm worth way more dead than alive....and that's due to my property....mostly firearms that are worth more now than most human lives. Silly?
22LR barrel life is a fallacy you shouldn't even be concerned with actually. Accuracy over time might be another thing to consider. These days I'm more concerned with how long my pets will last and when I'll have to make the decision on putting them to sleep. My guns mean very little at that point. Life for my 10/22 barrels is more than I can expect in many ways.....but I don't have to worry about.

Last edited by Ram Rod; 01-27-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM
mech1369dlw
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
November 1956, my father took 2 new things to the house. A Marlin 56 with the new short stroke levermatic action, and me. I remember at age 6 shooting it at camp. Every weekend we put 200 rounds thru it from age 6 to 18 plus the hunting rounds. Had to slow down a little bit starting in 1975 when the Army got me, but around 1990, I started shooting it lots every weekend. I would estimate since I started shooting it, there has been around 100,000 rounds down the barrel. Yesterday, I shot 3/8 inch groups at the range at 50 yards. I love that rifle. I will pass it down to my son when they plant me and hope he will do the same thing.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
nanan00

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 10/22 from the 70's that was my dads, he put thousands of rounds through it and I put thousands of rounds through it and it is still a 100yd tack driver.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 AM
AndyPrice44
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks a lot guys. Some good information here and some cool stories as well. That is one thing that I find neat about .22's. They seem to have an indefinite lifespan as long as you take care of your firearms. I have quite a few centerfire rifles and pistols but, rimfires have a special place in my heart. I'm sure most here can relate to that. We all seem to have those fond memories of yesteryear such as being a young child and our fathers teaching us to shoot with a 10/22. The first time you became old enough to be trusted to be safe and use a firearm without adult supervision. The list could go on and on. For most of us, the very first time we pulled a trigger on any firearm it was a rimfire. I will always try to take the utmost care of my rimfires because I hope to pass these traditions and special moments along to my heirs. I will continue shooting all my rimfires and keeping them well preserved for my future rimfire shooting family members. As long as I can keep rust and politicians away from my guns, all will be good in the future. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Andy
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Ram Rod
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPrice44 View Post
Thanks a lot guys. Some good information here and some cool stories as well. That is one thing that I find neat about .22's. They seem to have an indefinite lifespan as long as you take care of your firearms. I have quite a few centerfire rifles and pistols but, rimfires have a special place in my heart. I'm sure most here can relate to that. We all seem to have those fond memories of yesteryear such as being a young child and our fathers teaching us to shoot with a 10/22. The first time you became old enough to be trusted to be safe and use a firearm without adult supervision. The list could go on and on. For most of us, the very first time we pulled a trigger on any firearm it was a rimfire. I will always try to take the utmost care of my rimfires because I hope to pass these traditions and special moments along to my heirs. I will continue shooting all my rimfires and keeping them well preserved for my future rimfire shooting family members. As long as I can keep rust and politicians away from my guns, all will be good in the future. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Andy
That's kinda what America is built on now....those memories and those first times with a rimfire. Too many just don't get it. I understand in a way.....they never were exposed nor had the chance. Why they voted for Obama again. In reality....I can't hate them for being ignorant........I feel pity for them in ways. We'll all pay for a few mistakes whether we like it or not. We should have been on top of the game for a long while now. We've failed in many ways. With our youth, and relying on public education while trying to make a living and paying our dues to the almighty government that throws away our hard earned money.
The good 'ol days is for us good 'ol boys and how it was........get your butt kicked on the playground and not hide behind stupid laws. If you won't stand for yourself....then think about your kids and their future.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Gary C
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I've heard about, but never seen a 10/22 barrel being shot out. A couple of them, in fact. Take a week of prairie dog hunting, thousands of rounds, and just continuous shooting without cleaning. I was told that the barrels were shot until they were too hot to hold, and doing that with a .22LR is pretty hard to do.

I don't consider them 'worn out', I consider them 'abused to death.' That is probably the only way you're actually going to kill a .22 barrel, abused to the point of failure. With take off barrels available for $35-50, they're easy to replace, at least on a 10/22, so the guys didn't care.

For someone who cares about their rifle, and plans on taking good care of it, a rifle should last for hundred years or more, and tens of thousands of rounds.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Gary