Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
New Stock Project

Thought ya'll might like this one. Even though the build will be a VQ 17HM2 semi auto. Thsi one has been pending for some time. I had a very hard time finding a good walnut burl for the butt spacer and tip. The customer wanted me to use an "S" cut on the tip and butt spacer. Not something I have seen but I was intrigued nonetheless and welcomed the challenge.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
Look forward to seeeing it.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Bumper

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You have to love the creativity and people who make their vision reality. This is half the fun of rimfires, IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
jcrowleyiv

TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
Oh boy!!!!!!

Please show us.........

John
That is why it is called "the present".
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
OK John, if you insist........

As I said this will be based on an all VQ 17HM2 barreled action. The barrel is an all black (silver bolt) receiver and a black "Snake" fluted 20" barrel with compensator. In any case I started getting the stock blank ready. I needed the walnut burl in hand so that I could cut the 'S' curves in the stock and the burl at the same time:

Obviously trim the burl blank first:

Then layout the blank and figure out where best to fasten the burl pieces. I used cabinet mounting screws to fasten the burl pieces to the quilted maple stock blank:

Same thing on the forend tip:

I am pretty sure ya'll are starting to see whay I wanted the burl in hand before trying to layout and cut the curves. By attaching the burl to the stock I can do the cuts at the same time. I'm sure I will need to do some hand fitting but certainly this is easier then trying to cut everything separately and THEN hand fitting together.

Last edited by azguy; 09-01-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Next was doing the cutting itself. I removed the 3/4 blade from the band saw and installed a 1/4" wide blade so making/cutting the curves would be easier. A 3/4 blade is great for heavy straight cuts but it doesn't like going around corner very much with a 5 or 6" radius being the minimum radius. The 1/4" wide blade can cut about a 2" radius.

Anyway, I cut the 'S' curves:

And here is the rough cut fit. I'll still have to do a bunch of handfitting in order to get the pieces to fit without gaps BUT doing the cuts at the same time should help:

The burl is really nice and I feel will make a great contrasting point on the intensely quilted maple. Also the customer is having a cresent butt plate engraved and sent to me for inletting and fitting into the burl butt piece. The grip will also get a thick burl grip cap, that will be inletted with a metal grip cap with the customers initials engraved on it. Should lead to a very unique piece. Gonna take some time to do right. I think it'll be worth it.

More to come:
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM
jcrowleyiv

TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
!!!!!!WOW!!!!!

You artistry is only bounded by your imagination and creativity. This one is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Pardon me while I pop some corn and mix up a libation.

Thank you for sharing -

John
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 AM
azmbl22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sssssexy! In all seriousness, that is a great idea, looking forward to following this thread!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM
cj5mrt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Looking forward to seeing this one when you get it finished.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Well I got to do some more work on the new VQ project stock. I spent most of the day, on and off, sanding and fitting the tip and butt spacer. I used some curved sanding blocks and my spindle sander (which is a GREAT help by the way).

Almost got it done. Little touch up and then I need to figure out the best way to clamp the tip and butt. I might just get a couple larger three way clamps and do it that way. Unfortunately mine are a touch too small.

The Walnut burl will be a great contrast to the quilted maple. IMHO anyway
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM
jcrowleyiv

TPC Rating: 
100% (83)
This is going to be yet another of a long-list of your legacy projects.

It is so satisfying to watch a real "master" ply his artistry. Thank you for such great documentation, allowing a neophyte like me to live vicariously through an artisan like you.

Did you get that young lady home from college?

Very sincere wishes for a blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours.

John
Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv View Post
This is going to be yet another of a long-list of your legacy projects.

It is so satisfying to watch a real "master" ply his artistry. Thank you for such great documentation, allowing a neophyte like me to live vicariously through an artisan like you.

Did you get that young lady home from college?

Very sincere wishes for a blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours.

John
Lol, John.......Glad you put "Master" in quotes 'cause I am far from that, though my Dad was a master craftsmen and cabinet maker. Wish he were here to learn me new things. I have a LOT to learn but then, that is why I do this stuff. It's the challenge and having to think of work arounds that keeps my interest. In this case the 'S' cuts were the customer's idea. Wasn't so sure but really like it on this maple. Still have to do the grip cap with an "S" cut horizontally. Same burl.

And yessir, got her home and loving it. She is holding a 3.5 GPA and no fluff classes so I am very proud of her, though I miss her a lot. Wasn't that long ago she was my little princess.

And as for the Thanksgiving wishes, right back at ya buddy. And the further wishes for a blessed and happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the RFC. I am thankful that I found this site, which has become the driving force behind my hobby.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:00 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
cont.

Originaly forgot to post pics of the VQ 17HM2 barreled action goiong into this build:

Today I was working on the fixtures to get this set up in the duplicator. I was going to install the wlanut burl tip and butt spacer and then carve the stock but I changed my mind and decided to do that after the stock is carved and shaped. That way if there are any issues with the fit I can adjust the fit before installing. I decided to use the other side of the cut off piece of burl since it had the same basic 'S' shape in it already. Sanded and fitted it until I was satisfied it would be steady and not move around on the curve after it is installed:

Then I figured the layout both for the screws and the head stock fixture locations:

And then I installed the assembly on the butt end. Nice and solid

More to come:
Old 11-23-2012, 04:17 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
As I waqs working my way thru this layout and getting the trimmed blank ready, I had a sudden idea. Yeah, usually that kind of thing can get one in trouble. I went and grabbed one of my KiDD rear tang kits and started looking at installing it on the VQ receiver. Also got to looking at the receiver and noticed that it sits really high in the stock. So much so that the back of the receiver shows quite a bit. Just configured a little differently from the usual Ruger units.

To tell you the truth, not really lovin the look. I had enough blank after trimming to be able to move the layout down a bit. Which should give me enough blank to work in a higher "roll" at the back of the reciever. I layed it out on the blank and also checked to see what a tang would fit like. I figure to install the tang even with the back vertical face top edge. I'm sure it will evolve after I get into it.

And heres the receiver just set on the blank where it will be installed.

Lunch break and then back to work........

More to come
Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Wear safety goggles and long/thick sleeves when you shoot that lil' pill...I hope you have better luck than me and most....KABOOM Timing on those guns has to be perfect and the chamber MUST BE cleaned very often.