Stevens 32 RimFire 17Mach2!!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Stevens 32 RimFire 17Mach2!!!

I'm usually down in the Mossberg forum or the Hunting forum, but I just relined a Stevens "CrackShot" for an RFC member and I kind of took a liking to the old Stevens single shots. I particularly like the under-lever falling block designs, but I didn't want to alter a nice rifle, so I was looking for a beater!!! I think I found it. Well I just won this old Stevens on GB with the express intent of relining it to 17Mach2. A bit rough and they no longer make 32 rimfire ammo so at least I will be turning an cool old rifle into a functioning cool old rifle in a current caliber!!! I suspect it will make a superb squirrel getter!!! At least that is the intention!!! These are the pictures from the GB auction, so you can get an idea of the starting point.

Here is the description posted by the seller...
Quote:
Stevens single shot 32 long RF no sights, action is complete and working, bore looks like it will clean up OK. Stock is handmade, but has orginial buttplate on it. End of chamber has what appear to be grind marks on it. Sold as is what you see is what you get.
Once I get it into my hands I will need to evaluate it and see if I can actually do what I want. Pretty sure that I can, I will just need to apply a large amount of TLC and patience to make it happen!!! I know a fellow down in Kentucky that makes custom barrel liners so it looks like I may need to contact him for a larger diameter liner than is standard for 22 rimfires. We'll see, I think this one will need a full make-over before I will call it done!!!.
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 03-14-2020 at 12:53 AM. Reason: replace fuzzy photobucket pictures
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
ed_nyc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a fantastic idea! How much did you spend for the old beater?

The liners I've seen have a diameter of 5/16", or .3125". It looks like the old .32 rimfire cartridge had a the same diameter for the bullet, which means the rifling would be a tiny bit tighter. That means you might not actually need a custom liner at all.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Crackshot was the one Frank was talking about relining. He did a fantastic job! It shoots great now. Good luck and may yours turn out as nice as mine!
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_nyc View Post
This is a fantastic idea! How much did you spend for the old beater?

The liners I've seen have a diameter of 5/16", or .3125". It looks like the old .32 rimfire cartridge had a the same diameter for the bullet, which means the rifling would be a tiny bit tighter. That means you might not actually need a custom liner at all.
$73.00 plus $15.00 S&H, plus $27.00 FFL fees when it arrives at the FFL. The funny thing is I was out bid on another Favorite that was missing the buttstock, plus missing some internal parts, and it went for $125.55!!! Go figure.

I know the diameter of the Brownells liner, but I think I am going to solder this liner in place instead of bonding it in. I know where I can get a 17 cal liner with an OD of 3/8" and I like that idea. And after the barrel is drilled for the liner I am planning on D&T'ing it for scope bases. The nicest thing about doing it that way is that I can use a standard starting tap, instead of needing a bottoming tap!!! May have to grind a custom liner drill but I have done that before so there should be no problem there!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 03-19-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
I sure want to see a picture of that when you're done Frank.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
My only concern would be the higher pressure of the .17m2 compared to the standard velocity .22lr ammo the breech block was made for, thus I had mine relined in .22lr.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile That is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
My only concern would be the higher pressure of the .17m2 compared to the standard velocity .22lr ammo the breech block was made for, thus I had mine relined in .22lr.
That is the wonderful thing about the 17Mach2, it has the same max pressure as a 22 LR. The pressure curves are definitely different with the 17Mach2 reaching its pressure peak sooner than the 22 LR but it is the same pressure rating for both cartridges!!! It is the faster curve that makes the 17Mach2 such a pain and a potential problem in semi-auto's. For any fixed breach a conversion to 17Mach2 is as simple as a reline or a barrel swap!!!
Check out the link!!! http://www.chuckhawks.com/17_M2.htm
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 11-09-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Don't worry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
I sure want to see a picture of that when you're done Frank.
Don't worry, I will detail the entire conversion!!! If it is done in time for Shawnee next year, it will be there with me!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 AM
slumlord44
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The early Favorite was designed for standard velocity ammo. The '17 Mach II pressure is equal to the modern high velocity ammo. If all the linkage is right it will work and not blow up in your face. My concern would be that it will loosen up with extended use.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Pretty much what Slumlord said, mine is in excellent condition but the bore was toast, thought about a .17m2 but decided to stay with the .22lr, I'm betting it will be a super fun little conversion Tfrank, just concerned about long term wear. I'll be following this one for certain.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Tfrank, your conversion is going to be one fun squirrel gun!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Tfrank, your conversion is going to be one fun squirrel gun!
Yeah on that!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 AM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Believe me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumlord44 View Post
The early Favorite was designed for standard velocity ammo. The '17 Mach II pressure is equal to the modern high velocity ammo. If all the linkage is right it will work and not blow up in your face. My concern would be that it will loosen up with extended use.
Believe me I like my face just the way it is, and I will keep a very close watch on action tightness. I have a little bit of experience with rimfire shells bursting due to an unsupported rim. Never a good situation, and not inclined to go there again.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile The seller...

The seller said it was in the mail and should be at the FFL's by early to mid week!!! Can't wait to get my hands on it and start evaluating it!!! Since the action was designed for a 32 rimfire it ought to handle a 17 Mach2, but evaluating will be the first thing !!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Pet-Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ill be following this with intrigue.

Best of luck with everything man!