Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 AM
yankee
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Youth Stock

This is a carbine stock i purchased from e-bay 12.00 shipping cost more

I am not convinced this is the easiest route for a modification of this type, but it accomplished what i wanted, it shortened the stock and i was able to save the inlet for the buttplate

i did not bother removing the old finish before cutting because it was going to be all removed after the epoxy set up anyway

i do not have photos of the first few steps, but i plan on doing a green gun for the young men who shoot with us also, so i will get photos of these steps shortly

1) i layed the stock rail side down on a granite plate and scribed with a height gauge the horizontal cut line you see in the first photo, i simple used the height gauge to find the point where i wanted the cut to pop out and scribed the line.

2) i then took precision 2"x4"x6" blocks and clamped the forearm rails to these blocks, the blocks held the project at the correct angle and are heavy enough to provide stability on the bandsaw

3) i made the cut, took me time and let the saw do the work, don't force it

4) this is what i ended with after the cut, althought the bandsaw left a wavy cut, i simply flattened the waves out with a hand plane before i glued

5) i then lined the 2 halves up to see what work i just got myself into, that wrist is going to need some rasping

6)after i hand planed the 2 halves to make them flat and to get the desired glue line, i drilled a series of hole for the accra-glass to get ahold of, i was a bit to enthusiastic with the amont of holes as you will see shortly

also in this series of holes are a set of holes that line up and were drilled for dowels, the dowels provided stability when clamping and aided in keeping things aligned while the accra-glass set up

7)at this point i did a dry run, made sure dowels aligned and did a pre wrap with the surgical tubing, and cut off the excess tubing i did not need

8) i then disassembled and mixed my accra-glass, about 3 TBLS once i stirred the mixture for a timed 4 minutes i applied a generous amount to each half with a popsicle stick, working the epoxy into the holes on both halves.

i then inserted my dowels and assembled the 2 halves and tightly wrapped the to halves in surgical tubing, it clamps like a boa constrictor

9) the next morning i broke the surgical tubing loose and inspected the parts, time to rasp the excess away

as you see i was a bit over zealous with the holes and found 3 while rasping, next time i stay back another inch with the holes

10)after some rasping and filing i then started with 60 grit paper, things were starting to take shape, i worked up in finer grit ending at 320

11) my intentions from the very beginning was to make this a young ladies stock for our websites outdoor events, and whats better than dyeing it pink.

i hand rubbed 12 cap fulls of undiluted rits dye into this birch and as i added more dye to the stock it kinda took a polished plastic look, once everything was dry i hit it with 3 applications of clear coat

i am not sure if this is the correct way to go about it, but it worked for me and was a successfull project

hope you enjoy the photos, i'll add more shortly concerning the beginning of the project
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 AM
yankee
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
save

save
Closed Thread