Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Baikal (USSG, Inc.) MP-161K 22LR Initial Review

Here is a brief, initial review of the MP-161K that I got this week.

First off this is not the first 22LR rifle that I have shot but it is the first one that I have ever owned and I certainly don't have the kind of experience that most members on this board have so take that into account when reading:

I purchased the MP-161K via Gallery of Guns for $358 total with taxes and fees. Obviously that cost varies by the local dealer, taxes etc but the sale price was $323 without taxes and fees.

In the box you get one rifle, two magazines, and one manual. My rifle was "preserved" and needed a good cleaning. The manual doesn't tell you how to disassemble the rile but its not too hard to figure out. Removing the barrel just requires locating the screw inside the magazine well that attaches the barrel assembly to the stock.

I use CLP on my guns and thats what I used to clean off all of the preservatives, etc. I bought an Otis .22-30 caliber rifle cleaning kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details) after the 22LR rod I was using proved too flimsy. The Otis kit seems to be a good deal and allows breech to muzzle cleaning while the barrel group is still attached.

Sight wise I bought a UTG DS3039 red/green dot sight for the rifle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details). The sight is pretty awesome looking mounted on the 161K and worked great for me on the range.

At the range today I put 250 rounds through the gun. 200 rounds of CCI Mini-mags and 50 rounds of Winchester Subsonic lead truncated cone HP. The CCI bullets were nearly flawless as usual (I have shot a lot of this ammo in other guns) with only 4 FTFs out of 200 rounds and 3 of those fired when cycled back through the gun. The Winchester ammo was a disaster. When it fed it fired fine but the combination of the truncated cone and softer nose didn't feed well through the 161Ks magazines. I didn't keep a good count but I think roughly 12 out 50 rounds were a waste.

Accuracy wise the gun is clearly better then I am. The picture below is a poor cell phone picture showing the UTG red/green dot sight mounted on the gun and a target with holes punched in the center at 50' with the CCI ammo (shot standing without any bracing):

The next image is a target with 18rds (2 magazines worth) shot at 50' when I braced myself on the shooting table.

It is important to note that I don't consider myself a very good shot so I wouldn't really judge the gun based on my targets.

So the biggest issue I think that this gun has is the magazines. They are heavy steel and kind of crude in manufacture which I think leads to some feed issues with ammo like the Winchester bullets I have. Another issues I noticed with the magazines is that the rounds can move up the stack with a slight nose down attitude which could cause a feed issue. Wether or not these issues improve or worsen with age will be interesting to see. I am also considering trying to do some tweaking/sanding of the lips of the magazines to see if that helps rounds feed better.

Some other more minor issues with the magazines include the fact that they only hold 9 rounds and they can be a pain in the thumb to load. Both issues aren't too big of a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. I can live with them.

Otherwise I love this gun. It is fun and easy to shoot. It feels very well constructed and solid even being heavily constructed of plastics. The trigger has a little more travel than I might like but it is pretty consistent.

I can't wait to get out to the range and shoot it again next week.

Last edited by cvitter; 02-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Second Outing

I had a chance to take the gun to the range today and put another 250 rounds down range. Today I tried out two different rounds:

Federal 550 bulk pack 36g HP (100 rds)
Federal 325 bulk pack 40g RN (150 rds)

Both rounds worked just fine although I had a couple of failure to fires with both. In all cases there were clear strike marks on the case but in all but one case the round fired when run back through the gun. This seems to be common with all ammo 22 lr ammo I have shot recently in both my MP 161K and my S&W 22A-1.

I had a couple of failure to feed issues (roughly 5) in which the round missed the breech. I have no idea why. Looks like the rounds came out of the magazine pointed to the left and high. When this happens you need to drop the magazine before racking the bolt or the next round will get mis-fed as well (and need to be discarded).

Overall not bad but not fantastic either.

The gun is a blast to shoot though and I am finding to be pretty easy to hit what I am aiming at. The following lousy phone camera picture is about 50 rounds of the Federal 40gr RN from a 325 pack shot at 50':

I need to adjust my scope a bit to the left i think...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update 3

Went to the range today and fired about another 225 rounds through the 161K. This was a great day as I put the following ammo through the rifle:

- 125 rounds of Federal 550 Bulk 36g HP
- 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag 40g HP

and didn't have a single FTF, FTE or any other malfunction. In fact I put about 150 rounds through my S&W 22A-1 with the same kind of success so I can say it was a great day at the range all around.

Anyway, some further thoughts on the 161K:

- The magazines are brutal on your thumb. I have started wearing a pair of my shooting gloves just to make loading bearable.

- Spent casings sometimes eject back right into your face. I have been hit in the forehead and glasses. I also had a case eject right down the back of my shirt and nearly end up in my pants today.

- I am shooting out to 25 yards now (which the full length of the range I shoot at) and I am no less impressed by the accuracy of the gun. Hand held with just a red dot sight I am shooting 3" groups like:

I have a Leapers 3-9X40 scope on the way which I can't wait to try out next time. I am also thinking about getting a cheap rifle rest to see if I can really test how accurate this gun is.

I would love to hear from other 161K owners how they are fairing long term. I know that there are at least two others on this board and I surprised there aren't more people picking these up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got better pics of the gun itself?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 PM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl View Post
Got better pics of the gun itself?
Not yet, I really should take a half-decent picture since RFC is so full of rifle shots.

I will have to do that...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I have one of these as well and it is amazingly accurate. Glad you got one as they are really cool.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1000+ Rounds Down Range

I was fortunate to have a few free hours to get to the range today so I managed to shoot 300+ rounds of the Federal 550 Bulk 36g HP. What a blast. I did have three failure to feeds which is an issue where sometimes the rounds won't clear the front of the magazine because they are in a nose down attitude. The magazines leave something to be desired...

I managed to get a couple of more pictures of the gun although they still aren't fantastic

Baikal MP161K with UTG DS3039 3.9-Inch ITA Red/Green Dot Sight

Close up of stock with adjustable cheek rest:

Close up of trigger, bolt and sight:

I have some new toys coming in the next few days which I can't wait to try out:

- Leapers 5th Gen 3-9x40 AO Mil-Dot Rifle Scope with R/G
- UTG Max Strength LE Grade Quick Detach Picatinny Scope Rings
- UTG Universal Single-Rail Barrel Mount with 2 Picatinny Slots
- UTG Bipod, SWAT/Combat Profile, Adjustable Height

With the weather getting nicer every day it is about time to find some place I can shoot outdoors that where I can shoot at distances longer the 75'.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 AM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are the open sights on the barrel? I ask because I had a Walther G22 and it was fun to shoot, but its sights were not very solid because they were pretty much a part of the stock.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 AM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl View Post
Are the open sights on the barrel? I ask because I had a Walther G22 and it was fun to shoot, but its sights were not very solid because they were pretty much a part of the stock.
The front sight (a big shark fin) is mounted on the barrel and protrudes up through the plastic fore-end left and right half's via a notch in the top. The adjustable rear sight is mounted on the barrel group. It is hard to see in my poor photos but the rear sight is right below the front of the UTG red/green sight basically straight down from the windage adjustment knob. Everything of importance on the gun hangs off of the barrel assembly.

Personally I find that the iron sights on the gun are almost useless. I can shoot with them but it is difficult to get a good sight picture and not a lot of fun as a consequence. YMMV of course.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Interesting thread

...been trying to decide if I need one of these or not. I like the look of it (big "wow" factor there) and am very interested in finding out about the accuracy and any reliability issues.

I'd get one in a new york minute if they'll embarrass or at least shoot as well as (hopefully better than) the "common" semis that I see at the range

Keep posting your results and impressions... I'll keep learning about these from those of you that have already taken the plunge!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am not the best person to really tell you how good this rifle is vs. any other rifle since this is my first 22 rifle and I don't have experience with anything else really. Most of my shooting experience is with handguns.

That said... here is a picture of a target from yesterday. I shot about 45 rounds (5 magazines) of the Federal 36G HP at 50' with my elbows on the table using the red/green dot. The sight is currently set for 75' so I was aiming high at the 1 ring to compensate. This is probably my best looking target to date.

I am looking forward to putting the 3-9X40 scope on it this week and installing my bipod.

Reliability wise I have had some issues with the magazines like I said. You need to make sure the the first bullet in the magazine is seated properly so it loads. Otherwise it takes the check bulk ammo from Walmart fine which is a great deal. I only have 1000 rounds through the rifle so long term reliability is still a big question.

For the price though this is a very cool rifle. I admit that I am looking at getting a bolt action target rifle but I keep finding things I want to do to this rifle first...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
I am not the best person to really tell you how good this rifle is vs. any other rifle since this is my first 22 rifle and I don't have experience with anything else really. Most of my shooting experience is with handguns.

That said... here is a picture of a target from yesterday. I shot about 45 rounds (5 magazines) of the Federal 36G HP at 50' with my elbows on the table using the red/green dot. The sight is currently set for 75' so I was aiming high at the 1 ring to compensate. This is probably my best looking target to date.

I am looking forward to putting the 3-9X40 scope on it this week and installing my bipod.

Reliability wise I have had some issues with the magazines like I said. You need to make sure the the first bullet in the magazine is seated properly so it loads. Otherwise it takes the check bulk ammo from Walmart fine which is a great deal. I only have 1000 rounds through the rifle so long term reliability is still a big question.

For the price though this is a very cool rifle. I admit that I am looking at getting a bolt action target rifle but I keep finding things I want to do to this rifle first...
Nice target, eh?

Red dot optics are nice for quick target acquisition and a fast shot, but aren't the best for pure accuracy. When you get that scope mounted and dialed in, I'd suspect that your groups will shrink a lot right off the bat

Add some support like the bipod, and that'll make even more improvement, yeah!!!

Next thing you know, you might be looking in the superstock forum here and getting in on some of the games and challenges they have ...that's the way it happened for me.. I wandered into the superstock/bolt action forum (with a new rifle) and started off shooting the "cheap ammo challenge" as a way to have some fun and test out various types of ammo to see which one(s) my rifle liked better than the others. Anyway, one thing in there led to another and as I got more practice and more confidence, started shooting at some of the more difficult ones.

They were a load of fun, and give you results that you can measure to see your own improvement (the only thing that really counts) over time.

Now, I've gone around the block and getting away from using the scopes (for the most part) and shooting with iron sights (peep type, not post & notch) and having a good time at it

FWIW, everything I've got in the last couple of years has been bolt action and (fortunately) better-than-average accurate. Headed out to the range shortly to see if the latest arrival here can shoot the way I think it should be able to shoot. Less than 100 rounds on this one so far, but it's shown some good potential on her last (first) range trip.

(not Russian... it's Polska - wearing a 3-9 old donor scope that's already been on 4 different rifles)

As new as it is and as unfamiliar as I am with it so far, I'll be pleased to shoot four 5-shot groups on one target that all measure under 1/4" c-to-c @ 25 yds. .... that's my hopeful plan, anyway...

Bolt guns kick ash... I <do> need a cool semi that looks good and can run with the pack tho..

Last edited by COW 54; 03-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
cvitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty gun. Good shooting!

I will have to check out the Superstock section.

I have already started looking at adding a muzzle brake... gotta do my research though.

Last edited by cvitter; 03-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I shot mine last fall and have been working or shooting pistols mostly since so I haven't been back with it under better conditions. I will make a point of shooting it again on a calm day. It shows great promise and I think it will embarrass most stock semi-auto rifles.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A local shop has one of these. I like it. A couple of questions. Is your hanguard loose? This one is. How much did you pay? I believe the shop wants $330+ tax.