Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Chromies Twist on Bedding Reloaded

First I want to say that this thread is just a chance for me to show a slight variation in how I bedded one of my SuperStock rifles. Here are a couple pics of the pillar I added to my stock just before bedding the rifle following Vincents instructions. I flushed up the "E" thingee before measuring for the pillar, then drilled the action screw hole with a 3/8" fostner bit from the inside to the "E" thingee. after cutting the pillar I cut two slots in it for screwdriver instillation, then threaded it down into the wood. I kept the pillar just under flush of the shelf then dremeled out the shelf and rear ledge in the stock just as Vincent's bedding calls for and followed his instruction the rest of the way....I haven't tested to see if this is any help at all, but sometimes I over build things....

the pillar cut to length and ready with slots for installation.

The pillar threaded into the stock.

the shelf dremeled out, ready for Marine Tex

and the rear shelf dremeled out

as soon as the Tung oil is dry I will snap a pic of the finished bedding job.

Last edited by Chromie; 03-09-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
This is a photo of how the bedding came out on the top side. I was hoping for more bedding up the sides, and will do a skim coat at some point.

In this photo you can see how the bedding goes all the way to the top of the barrel channel. I like this and feel it is one of the major points of why this works. I also found some time along the line, if your barrel has the dreaded droop, that the bedding get slightly above the centerline of the bore. At that point the results are not as good.

Here you see that I have removed the bedding under the V-block. I think this is also a great idea, not my idea but I like it.

I know this picture kind of looks cheesy, yeah Philadelphia type cheesy, I will clean it up a bit, but the looks aren’t as important to me as the function. There will be a sight bit of an skim coat in this area as well.

Here we have the tiny little nub that the Trailblazer has for the trigger group to lock into. It is very lacking in this stock. I will bed this area with a great deal of info and explanation. When Bedding this area, one has to be very careful.

This picture is just because pirates like pictures.

Last edited by Chromie; 03-09-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
I'd like to say while this portion of how I bed my rifles is not hard. I don't think it is for a first time builder. Please use caution. I don't want to see anyone glue their rifle together and ruin their stock.

OK in the next series of pictures you will see the difference in the rear of a OEM Ruger trigger group and a two stage KIDD trigger group. They are quite different, while they both fit, I think this area can have a lot better fit. Here they are side by side.

In this view you can see the difference in the rear locking tang, I’ll call it for lack of a better term. Very different in my opinion. This is a major deal when trying to lock up the rear of the action. Both trigger groups lock into the Trailblazer stock, the Kidd actually not as well in my stock, because it bound up a very slight bit.

Because there is no way to show you this lock up I will show you the gab I am trying to fill. This is a very hard photo to take with my photo taking skills. The light sucks for pictures in my gun room, but I think you get the idea. This is the Kidd trigger group with the pins in, setting in place in the stock.

A bit closer view

Now after every thing is prepped to do the bedding I did the same as mentioned in 17ghogkillers thread, I torque the action screw and set the rifle in it’s favorite resting position. I forgot to take a photo of the prepped action and trigger group. Wish I had snapped a few. Anyway, I’ll see about one when it comes apart, if it does that is…

As my luck would have it, I was out of Marine Tex when it came time to do this step, so I used Loc-tite weld. Which works the same as JB Weld. There is one other thing I want to cover about this type of material. JB Weld, Loc-tite, and most other epoxy for that matter, are pretty runny. I have a good bit of micro-balloons left over from a Miles Gilbert Bed-Rock bedding kit. I chose to try these in the mix to thicken things up and keep it where I wanted it, not in my KIDD trigger…
Turns out Loc-Tite Weld doesn't get hard enough and was replaced with JB Weld.

Last edited by Chromie; 03-11-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
So I pulled the action apart, and before clean up started I snapped a couple pics of the area in question. It didn’t turn out as pretty as I had hoped for pictures, but there is a great lock-up, and I think I will be happy with the results. If not I will repeat this step.

From the top, I am very happy with how the skim coat took around the rear of the action.

And from the bottom you will see the small hump in the bedding, very hard to see, but it is there if you look close .

This nub in the small hump in the bedding matches the small cut out in the rear of the Kidd trigger group housing.

OK fellas, I finished for now. I'll post pics of the improvements in the targets, this weekend. The pics I have are from the other stock.

please keep all questions and comments in this thread for now.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=434187

Last edited by Chromie; 02-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
De3x7

Last edited by Chromie; 03-09-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Old 02-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)

Last edited by Chromie; 02-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
3x7dale
Old 03-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Glad you got the pictures finished Chromie This deserves it's spot as a Stickie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 03-10-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Thanks Vincent. I worked on that some last night