Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Podmahoy
US Air Force Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MP161K finaly

got my hands on one. Gun show dealer had it for some time (manufactured in 08), so I was able to get aresonable deal on it. NIB with both mags and instructions.
First impressions, Stock feels solid with no clicks, creaks or groans, points nicely from the shoulder, the iron sights work well and are easy to use. The trigger is not two stage but has a long, smooth, pull to the break point, similar to the MN 1891 military trigger. Magazine slides in and out smoothly, but is a b**ch to charge. It has to have the strongest spring of any .22 mag. The cocking lever is big and easy to use, even with gloves on.
Issues. With a scope fitted it shot 14" low and 8" right, to far to adjust on the scope. The base rail is riveted to the reciever, not screwed, so all shimming had to be done at the rings. After shimming and scope adjustment the rifle grouped 9 shots in about .75" at 50 yds. Most shots went into .5" but a couple of flyers always opened the group up. Having said that, trying it on the few gophers that are out resulted in a 7 for 7 kill ratio at ranges between 15 to 50 yds.
Function was flawless, with no feed or firing difficulties.
The scope alignment problem could be due to the front of the forestock bearing down on the barrel but will need to strip the rifle to confirm this.
I will post additional report later.
I must admit I like this rifle.
Funtion
Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give use some pictures if ya can.
Cool rifle...
http://imzcorp.com/en/company/98.html

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 05-09-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MP161K and EAA

European American Armory / U.S. Sporting Goods Incorporated
Quote:
"EAA Corp/USSG is proud to reintroduce the Baikal line of fine firearms.
The Baikal line includes shotguns, rifles, and combo guns the guns you
love at a price you can afford!"
The MP161K is included in the model line-up.
Hopefully, the ready availability of the 161 should improve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
FiremanFrank
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I just ordered the .22 lr version of this rifle. They didn't have any of the magnums yet but I'll likely get one of those as well. I found mine at budsgunshop but I am sure others have it now as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:17 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Rifle arrived

Just a quick couple of pictures of my MP161K. It came in a few days ago and I was finally able to pick it up. The box was damaged in shipping and the charging handle was sticking out but there was no apparent damage. Just love those apes that work at UPS.
I hope to get it to the range in a few days to give a report on how it shoots. It feels okay in the hands and the sights are bold enough that I can actually see them so that was a nice bonus. I found the magazines not that hard to change but they are a bit tricky compared to the ease of a 10/22 magazine is in putting back into the gun.
Time for a couple of pictures.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I tried to take it apart to clean it before shooting but the rubber parts that are pushed into the handgrip and buttstock are in so tight that I think I will damage something if I force them.

I was able to get the front part loose pretty easily but the back part of mine isn't going anywhere. Disappointing. Also when I loosened the two screws to adjust the cheekpiece one of them would tighten back up and the other is just floating there now. It won't fall out and it won't tighten so I guess it is just another anoying little flaw.

The magazines are serial numbered to the rifle. I don't know if this means like the Toz 78 that they are individually fitted to each rifle or not. I tried to contact the importer but can't reach anyone to find out about buying more magazines. The rifle comes with 2.

I used a plastic snap cap and measured the trigger pull at 5 pounds, 4.5 ounces so that isn't too bad. I then used another snap cap and felt it and mine feels like a 2 stage which I like.

As for cleaning it I will use a bore snake for the barrel and the synthetic safe gun cleaner to clean the rest. Then a quick light spray with silicone spray in the trigger area and some light gun oil for the bolt and it should be good to go.

The manual is completely worthless. It mentions cleaning being important but doesn't have any instructions on how to do so. I guess the average Russian knows how to clean these.

Range report soon I hope.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Ready for the range

I had a Millet red dot lying around already in a pair of Burris QD rings and it fit right on there like it was made for it. I will do ammo testing for accuracy with a scope but I plan on using the red dot otherwise.
The gun feels great offhand and I hope it shoots better than the stock was put together.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like a shooter.
Give us a range report.

Swiss
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Tozman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post
I tried to take it apart to clean it before shooting but the rubber parts that are pushed into the handgrip and buttstock are in so tight that I think I will damage something if I force them.

I was able to get the front part loose pretty easily but the back part of mine isn't going anywhere. Disappointing. .

It is actually well explained in the manual. Anyways, proceed as follows:

- Tell your cat to move away.
- Make sure the chamber is empty.
- Engage the safety.
- Remove the magazine.
- Insert a screwdriver in the narrow and remove the attaching screw (red arrow).
- Move the bolt 40mm towards the rear and separate the barrel group from the stock.

You should be able to figure out the rest.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tozman; 08-24-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
I'll give it a try after a range trip. I found out one problem was that they stripped one of the screws when it was assembled. I was able to get it out and I am sure after about 15 cents at the local hardware store and I will have a new one.
By the way do you have a new one or an older model? The reason I ask is the manual that came with mine that was built this year has some exploded diagrams but doesn't explain anything. I looked it over again after you mentioned it was in the manual and mine is the worst manual I have seen in modern times. I do appreciate your mentioning how to do take it down though.

Last edited by FiremanFrank; 08-24-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Further info
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Tozman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine was built in 2008.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
FiremanFrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Range report

Well I made it to the range late today as they have kept it closed until 5pm for range maintenance. I have a B-Square weaver riser on it with a Weaver 6-20x scope on top for ammo testing. The wind was variable and swirly and they haven't finished fixing the berm that used to give a partial wind break. I tried a few different ammos and my rifle likes SK standard +. 2 of the 4 groups were in bad wind and the other 2 were when the wind just died for a moment. I'll do this again when there is less wind.
The trigger is getting better as it wears in. The magazines are hard on the thumb to load and a magazine loading tool like they make for Ruger pistol magazines (rimfire) is just what this needs. If I find one I'll post it

25 yards, 5 shot groups.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:44 AM
krameranzac
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
She shoots pretty well!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spaghetti Noddle Barrel ... Shoots Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by krameranzac View Post
She shoots pretty well!
Much better than you would think a spaghetti noddle barrel should shoot.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:37 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
STICKY: MP-161K by FiremanFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post
I just ordered the .22 lr version of this rifle. ...
FiremanFrank I STICKied Podmahoy's thread that included your review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
Sticky: Baikal МР-161К & МР-141К Carbines
MP161K finaly ... Owner Review by FiremanFrank of the Baikal MP-161K