Biathlon 7-2 goes Tacticool - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
AzizaVFR
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Send a message via AIM to AzizaVFR Send a message via Yahoo to AzizaVFR
Biathlon 7-2 goes Tacticool

This is what happens when you combine an impulse buy, a neverending concall and machine tools.

I had posted a picture a while back of a stock I had in mind for the 7-2 action made with Purpleheart. It was a gorgeous chuck of wood. A serious problem with that blank manifested in the very dry climate of Arizona. Within four months, the wood dried out so much it had more than a dozen cracks running the entire length of the blank. At that point, I thought I was done with the idea of an alternative stock for this rifle.

One day I was just looking through Boyd's Crazy Deals and listed was a uninlet rimfire tactical. I called Boyd's and found out it was a shaped and rough Tacticool stock. I have already transplanted a Savage 93R17F into one of these items. Shipping was almost as much as the shaped blank.

It arrived a couple of weeks ago, yet due to work interruptions, it had been on the back burner. Last night provided a perfect opportunity to work (have the phone plugged into my head making sure my company was properly represented) and play. This stock is quite rough. It is not exactly symmetrical from Boyd's, and it will need a bit of shaping/sanding to get finished. The first thing to do was all the machining work. Last year I posted a template for inletting for the Biathlon (found here). I took the template, and glued its placement for the first sets of cuts. Here are the images showing the stages.

Initial setup with the stock in the mill, template applied, and action screw holes drilled along with the first material removal.

Trigger group and magazine well areas finished. Note the extra section in the rear for the safety lever.

Receiver contact areas. I machined this flat for allow the best bedding option.

Receiver area beveling. Beveled with a 1" cove bit.

Barrel channel relieved and action placed in the stock for a test fit

Second movement: I turned the stock over and started on the trigger guard and escutcheons for the receiver and trigger guard.

Original trigger guard in place. I will have to remove and shape the stock to make it fit the trigger guard a bit better.

This is as far as I could get before I got pulled from the garage onto another assistance call. More to follow.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweeeet!!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh thats nice.
I wouldn't mind one of those stocks for my CM-2 Cadet or the TOZ-78.

Swiss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Jetmugg

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice work, and looks like it was done pretty quickly also. Did you make the escutcheons yourself, or transfer them from the original stock?

Seriously, nice work. I inletted a stock for my 7-2, but it took me much longer, and I did some un-necessary work. I like your idea to leave the front and rear "wells" squared off for better bedding support. I tried to radius mine, which is a challenge considering that the action is a funny diameter.

SteveM.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM
longbow62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wow yes nice work!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
The receiver escutcheons started out as a square piece of 5/8" scrap aluminum plate. I used the lathe to turn them down to 0.623" in diameter and 0.490" tall. The recess for the screw head is 10mm and the through-hole was made with a 7/32" bit. If you use that bit, and a little cutting fluid, you can use the original screws to form the threads you need. The factory screws do not match any tap I have on hand. These pieces are larger in diameter and depth than the ones in the original stock.

The trigger guard escutcheon is 0.375" in diameter and length. The tread for the guard screw is M5x0.8mm. I will use Devcon to anchor the escutcheons and do a first fill on the bedding areas for the receiver. I will fill in the sides at a 45 degree angle first. It should allow me to mix smaller batches of the material and not worry about the Devcon getting all over the place. With the climate here, the Devcon sets up quite quickly.

Midwest Swiss, the stock would be a good one for the CM-2. It would also be much easier to inlet. It could done in just two movements given the flat square bottom of the receiver. I do plan on putting an accessory rail up front. If Champion's Choice does not get them in stock, I will machine my own. I just need to find the dimensions and get the appropriate key way cutter.

So far, only six hours were invested in this adventure.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Jetmugg

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Again - great work.

Just an FYI, if you need custom length screws, JP has them. They are a 6mm x 0.75 pitch, which is just about impossible to find.

I bought a set of custom length screws from JP for my Boyd's Evo / BB 7-2 project.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
(quote Az)
If Champion's Choice does not get them in stock

I believe there main rival Champion shooters supply has them...

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 02-15-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM
riggins
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You have a lot of talent. Can't wait to see the out come.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:26 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I know quality work and skill - that stock inletting is expertly done sir!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Why are the smaller components more challenging than the larger pieces? I was able to get another item completed. I wanted to accomplish two issues: Setting the length of pull to 13.5" and also making the butt plate adjustable.

After shooting the wife's CM-2 with the adjustable plate, especially in the offhand position, I knew I wanted to try and make one similar for this stock. This thing took on a life of its own. I started with two pieces of 0.500" Alcoa MIC-6 plate and a piece of very straight grained Poplar. I cranked up the iPod, and got to cutting. One full day worth of work later, here are the results.

Assembled

Attached to the stock

I needed to cut off about 0.25" off the end of the stock to square it with the barrel centerline and make room for the butt plate. I finally found a use for the compound miter saw I acquired.

The next steps will involves a great deal of sanding, shaping, filing, and a little Oban Double Barrel Scotch. I am thinking of melding the forend around the barrel channel (Video inspiration from MidwayUSA), to give it a little bit of a European feel, along with making sure the bottom is perfectly flat from the foreward receiver screw to the tip. I will make my own handstop rail. Both Champion's Choice and Champion Shooters are charging almost as much for the shipping as they are the component.

Now it is back to adapter cutting for me until I get all orders shipped.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM
NOOk22
US Army Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
gorgeous
Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
NOOk22
US Army Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What method did you use to cut out the lip for the front of the trigger guard assembly?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 PM
AzizaVFR

TPC Rating: 
73% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOk22 View Post
What method did you use to cut out the lip for the front of the trigger guard assembly?
One of these: Woodruff Key seat cutter
Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzizaVFR View Post

I bough one of those little bits for my Dremal then I used bedding compound.
I don't know about you Aziza but those Boyds laminate stocks aren't to fun to sand.
That glue impregnated wood is hard stuff.
I bet it machines nice.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 02-22-2011 at 11:40 PM.