My Old School Savage Arms Springfields! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Michigun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up My Old School Savage Arms Springfields!

Well, about 2 months ago I got re-interested in a few of my grandpa’s old hand-me-down 22’s in my gun safe…

1st one up is an old Savage Arms Springfield Model 84-C… as a boy I refinished it’s stock so that was already good to go… It’s original magazine wouldn’t feed very well so I picked up the cheapest 22-lr mag I could find & installed it’s spring in it… works GREAT now! While I was looking at magazines I noticed these 10-round (original mag only holds 5-rounds) Savage mags at the store that looked like they could be made to work in the 84-C so I picked them up… a little grinding/filing later & they work GREAT! Next up I added a few sling swivel studs… the trigger on this gun had a lot of side to side movement which was annoying to an otherwise nice trigger… I ended up wrapping the trigger itself with tape to tighten it’s fit up it the stocks trigger opening which works GREAT for a fast/easy fix! This gun REALLY likes Remington’s ‘target’ loads… so much so that I’m gonna have this 84-C drilled & tapped for a scope here soon!

Courtesy pic:

2nd one is an old Savage Arms Springfield Model 120… as a boy I also refinished it’s stock so that was already good to go as well… this one had a broken front sight… while looking it over to see about making a new front sight I noticed that it had a scope rail! I ended up getting a GREAT deal on a Nikon 4x ’rimfire’ scope so I grabbed it & mounted her up! (Nice optic!) The trigger on this gun also had a lot of side to side movement which was annoying to an otherwise pretty nice trigger… I ended up wrapping the trigger itself with tape to tighten it’s fit up it the stocks trigger opening which works GREAT on this rifle as well! Now seeing how this 120 is a single shot with no magazine I started thinking about how a could make sure I always had extra ammo close by for quick reloads…thought about modifying the sling to hold ammo, or trying to find a 22-lr butt-stock ammo pouch… also though about just have a belt pouch with extra ammo… what I finally came up with was to drill ten (10) slightly larger than 22-lr sized holes along the top of the butt-stock… I use a strip of good (VERY sticky) black tape to keep the rounds secure but not so secure that they can’t be easily retrieved! This gun REALLY likes CCI’s ‘green tag’ loads!

Courtesy pic:

Close-up of the butt-stock shell holder:

Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 PM
afret20
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an 84C. They are wonderful rifles.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Michigun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my workshop, in my basement, I’m able to shoot out my sliding door with a gun in my large, bench mounted vice... I’ve tried a few different kinds of the better 22-lr ammo out there thru each @ the 50-yard mark... right now the 84-C is shooting 10 rounds (Remington’s ‘target’ load) slightly under a VERY pretty 1-inch group... the 120 is shooting 10 rounds (CCI’s ‘green tag’ load) into 3/4-inch group... there is still more ammo out there to try, but I’m thinking that I won’t bother, as each of these loads are easy to find locally... that & I’m VERY impressed with each gun already w/their current load!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
rim22fire

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to rim22fire
84c

Is that 84C a bull barrel or just standard barrel? Shure is a nice looking gun .

thanks
john
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Trabzon
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quite a coincidence here. My winter project is a complete rehab of a Stevens 84C which is identical to your Springfield 84C. Mine has some pretty serious issues. First, the barrel lug into which the stock screw screws, is about 4 to 5 degrees out of line with the barrel and action. This could only have happened at factory. Some judicious epoxy bedding and a slight widening of the stock screw hole in the stock seems to have solved that problem and at the same time really tightened up the mating of the stock and the barrelled action. The second problem involves the bolt and sear set up. About ten percent of the time, the cocking piece/firing pin snaps forward and counterclockwise when the bolt is opened. No fix yet, but studying the problem. With all that said, the rifle is quite accurate. Good luck with your 84C
Old 12-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Michigun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rim22fire View Post
Is that 84C a bull barrel or just standard barrel?
It's kinda in between!

And thanks!