Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Vostock CM2 Project

Well, it's getting there! Purchased a beater from a gunshop during a buying spree a few months back. Thought I would see if it would shoot, and if so, fix it up.

Someone had drilled and tapped the receiver for scope mounts, but that wasn't a big deal to me. It's not for a collection, just wanted to see if it would shoot.

Stuck a scope on it a few weeks ago and at 50 yards was shooting almost 4 feet left. Ran out of scope adjustment and put it away. Next time out, stuck some burris rings on it and used the inserts to try to get it on paper. I got it to within 8 inches or so, but again, ran out of adjustment. I guess they didn't quite get the scope base lined up with the bore. I did try an aiming point to see what kind of groups it got... it's a shooter! I don't know if I'll readjust the scope mounts to get them back inline with the bore, or just shoot it with the apertures. I'd really like to see how accurate this thing is, but I shoot a lot of peeps anyway. I'll probably leave it as is.

Put away to refinish later. Started a refinishing project on an old Model 1 Brno. Got the metal work on the barrel done, and blued it. While I was messing with that, thought I'd go ahead and get started on the CM2. Took the finish off the barrel, which was in pretty bad shape and reblued that. Left the front sight and receiver as is, they were in good shape. It actually looks pretty cool like this. Stripped the finish off, raised some of the dents, fixed some of the gouges and it's now soaking in wood bleach. Will try to finish the dents and gouges this week and then treat, tint, stain and topcoat the stock. I've got all the metal parts done, the buttstock plates are shining and it's looking pretty good.

I'm undecided on what tint I'm going for with the stock color. Since it will never be a collector piece, I'm thinking something exotic! Will decide next week, but it should be something different... any ideas or pictures of ones you've done? Thought about painting it, but I'm not a painted stock person. But maybe something tinted a little different would be nice...

Anyway, will post a few pictures when it's done... will probably be a few weeks yet. But it really is a fun little gun.

If anyone has any ideas or pictures of stocks they've done, post them up... I'm open to suggestions.

Kenny
Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
One thing I forgot to add... Does anyone know if the Parker Hale Inserts listed on Brownells (781-100-012) work for these front sights? I only have one front globe and I'd like to find some others. As to the rear apertures, anyone have experience with other brands that might work. I have one that came with it, but would like to experiment.

Thanks again.

Kenny
Old 11-09-2010, 05:00 PM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
can't get a set of windage adjustable bases like leupold or redfield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom c. View Post
can't get a set of windage adjustable bases like leupold or redfield.
That's something to think about... I'll have to measure the holes for distance to maybe find a rear base that would fit.

But, the Burris Inserts gave me 40MOA side to side adjustment. Even with them and using all of the scopes adjustment, I was still way left. Maybe with the rear windage adjustment and the Burris inserts and the scopes adjustment, I could get it.

Thanks for the idea.

Kenny
Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lee Shaver Apertures

VOSTOK CM-2 & Ural (УРАЛ) Rimfires Redone

Old 11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is how I fixed my scope running out of adjustments.
https://rimfirecentral.com/forums/sho...ight=cm-2+rail

Fixed my problem....but it wasn't 8' off target.
I ran out of scope elevation up & down. could shoot fine at 50 yards
but not at 100 yards.

Swiss
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Update,

Think I'm going with the rear windage adjustable dovetail bases by Burris. I ordered a set this morning that should match the distance between the holes drilled in the receiver. I also am putting on the Std Burris Signature rings and then we'll see what it does. If it works, great, if not, I'll probably just stick with the apertures.

Finished bleaching the stock this morning, and am up up 180 grit light sanding certain spots. Want to get up to 400 or so. Got all the dents and gouges out so it's looking pretty good. Will finish up sanding, and then treat the wood tomorrow. Hopefully will have it colored/stained this weekend.

Kind of excited to see how it turns out. I'll post a few pictures when it's done.

Kenny
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
It's Done!

Finally got it done... Decided to not do anything exotic with the wood. Just used Medium Brown Leather Dye and some Tru oil. Purchased a scope base from a member on here, which I think really looks great. Haven't had a chance to shoot it since finishing it. Will probably have to wait until Spring. Stuck an old Tasco Target scope on it for now to see if my windage problems are gone.

My camera skills stink, but here's a few before and after photos. The pictures really don't do it justice... I think it looks really cool.

Before:

After:

Only had two gouges I couldn't get completely out. Other than that, it's as smooth as a baby's bottom.

I think I'll keep her.

Kenny
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow that looks really nice.
Let use now how she shoots & what ammo she likes.

Midwest Swiss
Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 PM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I see some one coppied my scope side mount scope base design. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery!

I'm touched!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before Photos of DIY Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
Well, it's getting there!
Purchased a beater from a gunshop during a buying spree a few months back.
Thought I would see if it would shoot, and if so, fix it up.
Kenny, do you have any before photos of your DIY CM-2 project?
Why? I'd like to add it to the VOSTOK CM-2 & Ural (УРАЛ) Rimfires Redone thread.

Your rifle well demonstrates how with a reasonable amount of effort
these surplussed Russian rimfires can be transformed part way back
to their former selves.

By the way, have you seen RETs finished DIY CM-2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET View Post

I now have a rifle that fits me and my purposes.
I hope you have enjoyed looking as much as I enjoyed the process.
Comments or questions are welcome.
ret
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Kenny, do you have any before photos of your DIY CM-2 project?
Why? I'd like to add it to the VOSTOK CM-2 & Ural (УРАЛ) Rimfires Redone thread.
Only before pictures I have are the ones I posted. I'm not very good with a camera.

Quote:
Wow that looks really nice.
Let use now how she shoots & what ammo she likes.
Thanks. It really does look much better in person. I like this rifle very much. It seems like it wants to shoot but at the time I was trying it out, it was so far left it was hard to really concentrate on seeing how it really grouped. It will get shot a bunch this spring. I don't think it will disappoint.

Off to start on refinishing a Kimber 82g now....

Kenny
Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 AM
qcmetman

TPC Rating: 
94% (14)
Hey ultramag. It's more or less a cross between yours, AzizaVFR and some of my ideas. With this one you switch from scope to peeps in seconds. Just lossen two set screws and your done. Not much of a demand for them as one might think. Beats drill and tapping the receiver however.

Last edited by qcmetman; 12-09-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2010, 06:55 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VOSTOK CM-2 & Ural (УРАЛ) Rimfires Redone

Kenny, I just created a post for your rifle.
I hope CM-2 proves to shoot as well as it looks.
kseatms VOSTOK CM-2
Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 PM
ultramag44

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcmetman View Post
Hey ultramag. It's more or less a cross between yours, AzizaVFR and some of my ideas. With this one you switch from scope to peeps in seconds. Just lossen two set screws and your done. Not much of a demand for them as one might think. Beats drill and tapping the receiver however.
qcmetman,

Well done!

I assume you have a milling machine to cut the reverse dovetail. I had thought of that, w/ setscrews.

I used a hacksaw, files. I do have a drill press

It's a labor of love the way I did it. I made one other, only because the guy is a friend. The next fellows who asked me were told, "Sorry, but no."