Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Aggie

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Got my barrel back with threads

If you guys are in the market for barrel threading, I would highly recommend JPgrips.com. Jim Pixley does amazing work. I just got my MkII upper back yesterday morning in the mail and the results are as follows - enjoy!

I had this barrel cut down to 4.25" to keep federal bulk subsonic through my suppressor

Old 10-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Flint Ridge
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow that would be nice. Let us know how the noise level is with the new setup.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Aggie

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
Wow that would be nice. Let us know how the noise level is with the new setup.
Just got back from shooting it. Extremely accurate and stupid-quiet.

I had a 4.5" paclite prior to this and I sold it to fund this project

Glad I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM
PennsyPlinker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very nice! I got my Competition Target Mk II threaded a while ago, but left the barrel as it was for length. I just shoot standard velocity out of it to keep it quiet. The bulk stuff goes supersonic from time to time, but where I am shooting, it isn't a problem for occasional noise.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
1gunsnotenough

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
Very nice. After I get all the MKIIs I need the suppressor is next.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:45 PM
RodJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Curious how much it coost ? Did he have to drill and tap new holes for the front sight?

I'm thinking of doing this with my Buckmark field or my Mark II 5.5 target (blue), so I'm also curious about what you like about this vs. the Paclite?

Oh, and very beautiful work!

Thanks

Last edited by RodJ; 10-04-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Aggie

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodJ View Post
Curious how much it coost ? Did he have to drill and tap new holes for the front sight?

I'm thinking of doing this with my Buckmark field or my Mark II 5.5 target (blue), so I'm also curious about what you like about this vs. the Paclite?

Oh, and very beautiful work!

Thanks
He charged $105.00, including return shipping. Yes, had to drill new front site. He cut it down to 4.25" so federal bulk would stay subsonic.

I like the WEIGHT of the gun in my hand. I am not too fond of pac-lites due to how light they are and prefer something heavy in my hand. I also believe that stainless steel is more durable and has been easier for me to clean rather than aluminum. I guess it all comes down to preference and what works best for you.

I had this and a paclite at the same time, sold the paclite to a buddy on this board. Now we're both happy.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
PennsyPlinker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
He charged $105.00, including return shipping. Yes, had to drill new front site. He cut it down to 4.25" so federal bulk would stay subsonic.
Just my opinion, but that price for the work that was done is pretty darn good. I had my barrel threaded, and the guy who did the work was supposed to make a thread protector and move the front sight back for me. In addition to telling me twice the gun was done when in fact it was not, he managed to break a tap off in the front sight hole he drilled, and then sat on it for months without doing anything about it. I got the gun back from him, and took it to a machine shop, which got the tap out, cleaned up the hole, and made a thread protector for me for $150. If the original guy had gotten it all done right, it still would have been around the same price, maybe $20 less. My thread protector does not match the barrel, but it looks pretty good - good enough that I am not going to complain about it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
kiwiVT

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Awesome, will probably send in my upper for the same work. Did he turn down the barrel to remove the billboard on the other side? Is the 4.25" barrel length to keep HV ammo subsomic common knowledge in the NFA crowd, or did you or Jim come up with that calculation? Thx.

Last edited by kiwiVT; 10-04-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Aggie

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiVT View Post
Awesome, will probably send in my upper for the same work. Did he turn down the barrel to remove the billboard on the other side? Is the 4.25" barrel length to keep HV ammo subsomic common knowledge in the NFA crowd, or did you or Jim come up with that calculation? Thx.
Barrel had been turned down by someone else to remove the billboard. Pretty much anything 4.5" or under will keep 36gr at a subsonic level
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 PM
kiwiVT

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks Aggie
Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Aggie

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I need to take some video of me putting rounds through this thing.

The LONG story is that over a year and a half ago, the upper went to Volquartsen for threading. They turned the barrel diameter down, threaded the barrel, recrowned, and moved the front sight back.

With my ignorance at the time of .22LR velocity and barrels, I soon found that a threaded 5.5" barrel kept federal bulk at a somewhat transonic level with shots cracking more often than not.

Oh, also, Volquartsen did a s*** job on the threading, poor machine work, gangly, nasty thread protector, suppressor had some play when threaded on. Absolute garbage with the exception of the turning down of the barrel to eliminate the warning billboard.

More research and experience led to me figuring out barrel lengths and bullet velocities, so fast forward to two weeks ago, I strip the upper, mail it to Jim Pixley and its now back with a QUALITY job.

www.JPgrips.com
Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM
JBLee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
That is an OUTSTANDING job at a bargian price!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
garystl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job! Now you need a stainless suppressor to match.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 PM
aptemplet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great looking job- Which silencer is that, and are you happy with it? Prob headed for a Sparrow or a Spectre II.
Good info on the barrel length, are you shooting any Aguila SSS?