Is Smallbore Position Shooting Dead? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
23's Dad
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is Smallbore Position Shooting Dead?

I've been browsing around this site since mid-June. Most of the matches I have found are for scoped rifles and shooting from rests.

I ran across this thread, and I wanted to know if there are any 3P or 4P smallbore matches.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?p=1975190

With the incredible number of fellow veterans on this site, and the amount of information on Anschutz, Kimber 82g, Winchester 52s, Remington 37s, Military Trainers of all ilk, and the Russian rifles, I am astounded that no one is shooting a postal match with iron sights from positions.

How do you start a monthly match? Is there any interest?

Sound off!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Mark W.

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'm interested. I just bought a Savage FVT with Williams target peeps to get into some 3-4 position shooting.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
22big

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Small-bore 3P Shooting

Greetings,
There are bunch of us here in Minnesota Twin Cities area shoot 3P and other International / NRA games. Here is a link for your reference: http://www.mrra.org/

You will find the regular shooting schedule published from the site. If you can make it to Minnesota, please do stop by for a match. You are welcome to contact me first before heading to the club. There are many great shooters compete regularly.

Good shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 04:26 PM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23's Dad View Post
Is there any interest?

Sound off!
Yes
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM
23's Dad

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question 2's company, 3's a crowd!

I guess by this definition we have a "CROWD" of shooters who want to have a Monthly Smallbore Position postal match.

How do we get a match started? Is it like a sticky where we need an Admin to set it up, or do we just set our own rules and run it like a regular thread?

Point me at the FAQ if I need to Read The Manual!!!

Thanks,
Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23's Dad View Post
....we have a "CROWD" of shooters who want to have a Monthly Smallbore Position postal match.

How do we get a match started?
I've participated in silhouette postal matches that we simply mail our targets to a match director who tabulates everything and sends a distribution list type email sharing results with participants.
I assume an online match would require clearance through the site administrators. Send one a PM about the idea.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 AM
NuJudge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hate kneeling, but like 4-position otherwise

I like shooting .22 Position rifle during the bad weather, and Service Rifle during the good.

I'd be interested in Postal 4-Position matches.

CDD
Old 09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
23's Dad

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I PM'd Shakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
I've participated in silhouette postal matches that we simply mail our targets to a match director who tabulates everything and sends a distribution list type email sharing results with participants.
I assume an online match would require clearance through the site administrators. Send one a PM about the idea.
Shakey is the moderator for the Match forum. I'll start there. Thanks!

I was envisioning something similar to the other matches in this forum. You photograph your target and post your own score, and the equipment that you used. We could also include a photo of our smallbore rigs. There are some wild ones out there, and some people using some classics.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM
23's Dad

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's usually great weather here in Southern CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
I like shooting .22 Position rifle during the bad weather, and Service Rifle during the good.

I'd be interested in Postal 4-Position matches.

CDD
But the distance that I have to drive to shoot Service Rifle on a regular basis is a killer. I to shoot indoor smallbore, because there is a range within 20 minutes of my house, and I can run over after dinner on any given weeknight and shoot a 4x20 series. I also don't have to argue about "wasting" a family Saturday, or the undone list of honey-dos...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
nimrodf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

This sounds like a great idea for the site. I was going to try the NRA 3-position postal match this winter, but you only get one entry. This would be much better. I order myself a pile of 23/5 targets to do the bench rest match but a position match would be better suited to my CZ. I'm definitely interested.

nimrodf
Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrodf View Post
This sounds like a great idea for the site. I was going to try the NRA 3-position postal match this winter, but you only get one entry. This would be much better. I order myself a pile of 23/5 targets to do the bench rest match but a position match would be better suited to my CZ. I'm definitely interested.

nimrodf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
Forgive the hijack, but could you steer me to a link or site so I could check into the postal match?
Never mind, found it....

Last edited by cowboy4; 09-25-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 PM
jporter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm In

I gust got a Marlin 2000L it's not UPS still has it but I'm in. the indoor rang by me is only 25y and I'm in Oregon
Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Sure, I'm more than willing to compete in a 3- or 4- position online match. All that would be required is getting the apporval of the Admins - meaning you have rules set up and are a willing and able moderator.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would relly like to participate but I don't have anyplace within an hours drive that I can shoot position from. It's a real bummer.

Mals
Old 10-02-2010, 02:48 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
I would relly like to participate but I don't have anyplace within an hours drive that I can shoot position from. It's a real bummer.

Mals
I have an abundance of space for outdoor, but no indoor range close by. If this gets off the ground, I'll do my shooting this winter during the relative warm days (20 +, but I prefer warmer ).
Closed Thread