Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ricochet's Tribute Rifle

Due to a string of events that I will explain as this thread develops I ended up with what is probably the last barrel that Ricochet ever bought. It is a stainless GM Heavy Sporter or Heavy Taper (GM calls them by both names in different places, I have always preferred Heavy Sporter).

I really had no intent to build another 10/22 at the time but this was shortly after he left us so suddenly and I decided to build a rifle that he might have built or maybe one that him and I would have done together given the chance

I decided from the beginning I would try to involve as many people and products from RFC people and Sponsors as I could to share the rifle with all. Because of this and because it is a rifle with Ricochet's influences it is a little different than one I would build just by me and for me. For instance Rico liked a bit more "bling" than I might.......something bright

Yeah well that is a little too bright but I will be getting better pictures. Here are a couple more:

Yeah it is pretty shiny!!

The barrel was sent to nemohunter by Doug before he left us and was with nemo at that time. He set it back and rechambered it so it should be a fine shooter. I also purchased the receiver from nemohunter. The barrel was given to me by Doug's close friend Al who Doug had left in charge of getting all of his stuff into the right hands. All of his rifles were sold to friends of Doug's in Montana. I helped advise as to what was done to them and what they were worth. The money went to Doug's two kids.

One night Al called me and told me about a barrel that had been reworked by nemohunter and he said he wanted me to have it. I jumped at the chance to have something from Rico but at the time I thought it was a stock barrel. I was very surprised to find out it is what you see here.

The rifle will change a little from what you see. I purchased a R/T Trigger assembly from Mizzou Mule. Dennis is always a good guy to deal with and the CNC housing and all the good R/T parts inside of it will be here tomorrow or Saturday I hope.

I bought the Revolution Walnut Trailblazer stock from Shooter's Discount (note: I had mistyped anther name earlier so sorry), another RFC sponsor with great people to deal with.

To my amazement the scope and mount were given to me by a close friend here at RFC that did not want his name mentioned. He just wanted to be part of this rifle. A Mueller APV and a DNZ Products mount an integral rings. Thanks very much my friend

The bolt is a Que bolt that was given to me as a Christmas by another friend a while back before this tragedy. Thanks to Que to Que for all he has contributed to SuperStock. I doubt they knew at the time that it would go into Rico's Rifle but I can not imagine a better place for it. I normally do all my own bolt and trigger work but not this time......not this rifle.

There are a few things left to do like bed the action. I will use a inner tube rubber for a barrel pad just like Rico would do. It will be my first 10/22 done this way. His always shot great so the pressure to shoot it well is on!

I still need to make or buy a charging handle, this one was borrowed from my stainless Twin until I could take care of that.

Thanks to 40calcritter, Brent, nemohunter, skeeter27red, Que, Chromie. I got good advice from many people and I can not think of everyone but Chaser helped with some good advice. Thanks to Al for giving me the barrel and thanks to Ricochet for a friendship that still lives.

I'm still researching having the barrel engraved with Ricochet's screen name.

Sorry this took so long to complete but a fall about 4 months ago and the resulting injuries slowed me down a bit for a while. Here it is.

I hope Doug would have liked it.

By the way, it is a funny thing but great minds think a like and in few days you will understand what I mean by this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk

Last edited by Vincent; 03-14-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM
D. Manley
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Really nice. I sure miss Rico's posts.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Very nice...well done indeed...

I have a name for you on the engraving...will PM you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
lookin' good Vincent.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Very nice...well done indeed...

I have a name for you on the engraving...will PM you.
Thank you for your polishing advice. The more I looked at things the more I realized I would never match everything so I went for a shiny brushed look rather than a mirror.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM
roothog
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That's a very nice tribute from a very good friend...... I'm sure Rico would have loved it. RH
Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
mobenzowner

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I can tell you were a good and loyal friend to Rico. You have done him proud with this build.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobenzowner View Post
I can tell you were a good and loyal friend to Rico. You have done him proud with this build.
I'm sure he's looking down and smiling upon us -- because he's shooting the tackdrivingest 10/22 at 100 yards and nailing the x-ring in 25 mph winds on a 72F day!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
usncporet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Vincent, That rifle is one that Rico would be proud of. I can see the pics with a crossword now!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
supereagle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice VINCENT, Rico would be proud , of the ss and having a freind like you.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
that is very nice Vincent. I am proud you did this rifle up. Rico was so good to us all and for us all. I know he'll never be forgot by many.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 PM
WIZZr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
can not htink of a btter tribute for RICO. well maybe shoot a 4 zero target with it. that would for sure p-lease him. what kind of charging handle are you thinking about? p.m. me if you think i could help. wizzr
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZZr View Post
can not htink of a btter tribute for RICO. well maybe shoot a 4 zero target with it. that would for sure p-lease him. what kind of charging handle are you thinking about? p.m. me if you think i could help. wizzr
No pressure there right? 4 ZeeRow!! No pressure at all

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
nemohunter

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
First off let me say that is one fine rifle. i'm sure Doug would have been proud to name her.

Vince i could also whip up a charging handle as well. do you have an in-lb torque driver??? need some pads??? LMK.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemohunter View Post
First off let me say that is one fine rifle. i'm sure Doug would have been proud to name her.

Vince i could also whip up a charging handle as well. do you have an in-lb torque driver??? need some pads??? LMK.
I have one of the good torque wrenchs. I have a few pads.

Que is sending some kind of Handle and we will see how that turns out. I have an idea for a cool one,...... just a matter of making it happen.