A couple of observations on the CM-2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
A couple of observations on the CM-2

I went to the range today for a practice session and while cleaning my rifle (CM-2) aferwards I was looking at my bolt, like I do. and I realized that the hammer hits the firing pin and impacts the bolt as well IF there is no round in the chamber. The rim of the cartridge is the only thing that allows the hammer to hit only the firing pin. With that in mind, I consider the CM-2 to be unfriendly to dryfiring. If you use a spent case when dryfiring I'd suggest you pay attention to putting the case in so that the firing pin has some fresh meat to impact and I would think more than one strike per location on the case/rim is putting the bolt at risk.
Typically I clean my rifle after each shooting session or match, put the bolt back in and rather than leave the firing pin spring compessed I pull the trigger, put it in the case, load my car up and go home. Not any more. I'll be leaving the bolt out of the receiver in the gun case until I'm ready to shoot. There is an added advantage to this as well when transporting a bolt action that I figured out and that is that there is no pressure on the bolt knob should you pack anything on top of the gun case which would stress the wood in the bedding area of the stock. I'm speculating that this (leaving the bolt in the receiver while in the case may be the culprit in the sudden loss of accuracy in my Anschutz. Did I mention that my Anschutz is off to the gunsmith being glass and pillar bedded right now? When it comes back I'll know more.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:46 AM
jimi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hey mate, im not sure if im reading this right, but to combat the problem, simply depress the trigger before lowering the bolt and hold it in while lowering, and it will relieve he stress in the spring, without smashing the pin.....

not sure if this combats what you were after.....lack of sleep is playing tricks on me,

cheers mate, jimi
Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
The issue isn't the firing pin, but the bolt itself. If you have a CM-2 remove the bolt and look at the bottom of the bolt. Rotate the bolt barrel so that the hammer is all the way forward and you'll see that if there is no case rim the hammer will impact the bolt. You hav to use a little effort to compress the spring since the barrel gets pushed back a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 AM
HotIce
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good to know.
I always keep the bolts out of the action when I case my rifles though.
This made me think a somehow related question. Does MTGuns sell replacement parts for CM-2s?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I already e-mailed Russian American Armory about parts availability.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ask M.T. Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIce View Post
... Does MTGuns sell replacement parts for CM-2s?
Good question.
The only to find out is to ask M.T. Guns directly.
Click here to contact MT Guns, Inc.

Product or Service Information: Mac Tilton - e-mail .