I think ive fixed the cold barrel flier :) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think ive fixed the cold barrel flier :)

I think ive got it!!! no i have got it!!! after 6months of awesome shooting i can happily say it IS fixed!!!!!!

but i dont have conclusive evidence yet.
Heres the gun, CZ 452 American, Custom Stock, Yodave Trigger kit, Bedded, Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24, sling

Target shooter

Here's the problem! This is the first card of each detail of a 3 Positional Shoot, note the first shot! instant 10point loss! Prone, Offhand, Sitting

The rifle gets racked for about 20mins to half an hour in between practice and between details allowing the barrel to cool! there are no sighters allowed in the disciplines i shoot!

Todays shoot! after the 'fix' This is a Field Rifle shoot but the gun still gets racked for 20-30 mins between the cards shown. Rapidfire, Offhand, Post Standing, Post sitting

I made A grade today

SO i think its fixed! but im not sure! im going to do a few more comps and verify this before i look like a fool and tell you what i did :d
Ok heres the edit,
this is what i did
OK, after talking to many many people and searching rimfire central from end to end i came up short!

I was getting close to crying, throwing things, selling the beautiful rifle etc! I finally talked to the quiet AAA grade shooter that can pull off 50.3 out of 50 targets consistantly with a cold barrel.
His advise was that all the experts believe that 'leading' can never happen in a 22lr and that 22lr's 'never' need cleaning!
He has bought 2 rifles cheaply in the past two years with this problem and fixed both of them
What he says happens is that a fine layer of lead builds up in the throat of the rifling just after the chamber, not seen by naked eye, but he owns a bore scope and can see this.
for the fix, he recommends a nylon brush, filled with jb's bore paste, and a loooong time working back and forth just on that breach area, the part where the rifling meets the bullet! no going from end to end as with the copper brush but just reversing directions and short strokes on that point with the nylon brush after hours of this, dry patch it clean

the nylon wont hurt the barrel the paste will only remove the lead and my initial results speak for themselves

He recommends that if your rifle is touchy as far as cold barrel fliers are concerned that before every important shoot you use the nylon brush and paste and then patch it clean, run 2O or so rounds through it for practice and learn to shoot like him!

A bit more on what he rekons is actually going on, that tiny layer of lead is 'grabbing' the first bullet because the lead is 'set' or hard because the barrel is cold, but once you have fired that first shot that lead becomes malliable, or soft, due to the hight temperatures of the combustion that happened millimeters from it, and therefore its doesnt hinder the next bullets passage, therefore the first shot is WILD and the second close to spot on

Im really crossing my fingers and hoping that this is it, it seems to be, this is the first shoot in months i havent had fliers, and i hope this helps all the other good people out there! especially sophia

Last edited by cz'(; 01-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Don't keep us in suspense too long - curing 1st shot fliers is something we all want to hear about.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:23 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I suspect you'll have lots of folks following this thread.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK then :) Here goes!

OK, after talking to many many people and searching rimfire central from end to end i came up short!

I was getting close to crying, throwing things, selling the beautiful rifle etc! I finally talked to the quiet AAA grade shooter that can pull off 50.3 out of 50 targets consistantly with a cold barrel.
His advise was that all the experts believe that 'leading' can never happen in a 22lr and that 22lr's 'never' need cleaning!
He has bought 2 rifles cheaply in the past two years with this problem and fixed both of them
What he says happens is that a fine layer of lead builds up in the throat of the rifling just after the chamber, not seen by naked eye, but he owns a bore scope and can see this.
for the fix, he recommends a nylon brush, filled with jb's bore paste, and a loooong time working back and forth just on that breach area, the part where the rifling meets the bullet! no going from end to end as with the copper brush but just reversing directions and short strokes on that point with the nylon brush after hours of this, dry patch it clean

the nylon wont hurt the barrel the paste will only remove the lead and my initial results speak for themselves

He recommends that if your rifle is touch as far as cold barrel fliers are concerned that before every important shoot you use the nylon brush and paste and then patch it clean, run 2O or so rounds through it for practice and learn to shoot like him!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A bit more on what he rekons is actually going on, that tiny layer of lead is 'grabbing' the first bullet because the lead is 'set' or hard because the barrel is cold, but once you have fired that first shot that lead becomes malliable, or soft, due to the hight temperatures of the combustion that happened millimeters from it, and therefore its doesnt hinder the next bullets passage, therefore the first shot is WILD and the second close to spot on
Old 03-27-2010, 08:53 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Im really crossing my fingers and hoping that this is it, it seems to be, this is the first shoot in months i havent had fliers, and i hope this helps all the other good people out there! especially sophia
Old 03-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Sword Bearer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I had a gentleman tell me last week at the range to do the same thing with all 22s.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:12 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
on that note beer1234 and others, pleeease post your results in this thread just to let me know how you went, or if you have any comments, or if you have any concerns etc please reply and let me know what you think!
Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nope Australia, Perth, Australia. But i love New Zealand!! its a beautiful place!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Well, I guess that's plausible but why would it affect a brand new rifle on its first few boxes of ammo? There hasn't been a chance for any lead build up on my Varmint.... haven't put much ammo through it.

That said, I pretty much have nothing to lose so I'll give it a try. I'll wait for a relatively calm day (rare this time of year) and shoot a few base line targets then give it the bore paste regimen. Hopefully the "after" targets will show us something.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:32 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Well worth the small expense of trying, I've been fortunate so far. Please folks keep us up to speed on this.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sophia, the gentlemans words were 'that all it takes is one crappy bullet down one slightly tighter than normal barrel, (as we all know CZ and anschutz barrels to be) for the process to start'

Paul shoots anschutz's
Old 03-27-2010, 09:53 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No problems Beer1234 if you or any other of my good rimfirecentral friends happen to find themselves in Perth, please dont hesitate to PM me and we will have a shoot and a beer together with pleasure!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cz'(é View Post
Sophia, the gentlemans words were 'that all it takes is one crappy bullet down one slightly tighter than normal barrel, (as we all know CZ and anschutz barrels to be) for the process to start'
Hmmm.... I did start that rifle on a diet of PMC Moderators for her "breaking in." Not junk but not top quality either. As I said... won't hurt to try.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:59 AM
cz'(

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
im dying already to know how you go