Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Angry_American

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking at the new T-Bolt

I own a rather well used up Marlin 882SS in .22 mag, and am looking for a replacement rifle. Not having a toy store anywhere near me to go play I wondered if anyone could give me their impressions on the new T bolt. I understand the trigger is less than desirable and it doesn't seem that anyone has an after-market design out. How is the fit and finish on the parts? My Marlin has some very rough machine work, especially on the inside of the receiver, looks like it was finished with 20 grit sandpaper.

What I want is a nice, well made accurate rifle that I can mount my scope on and use it for the around the house varmint rifle as well as some range play time. I usually take my Marlin to the range with me as a break between getting beat up by my higher caliber rifles and I find it fun to target shoot with.

The one I have my eye on is the T Bolt target/varmint model in .22 mag.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (144)
The T-Bolt I have is very well fit and finished. The bolt is smooth and fast. It can be worked almost as fast as a semi auto. I used to have both the Sporter and Varminter. Sold the Varminter to a fellow RFC'er. My sporter will shoot 3 shots in one hole at 45-50 yards if I do my part. They are bedded from the factory and free floating. I made my own trigger spring and its nice a crisp now. It will shoot with my Anschutz rifles.

If your going for the .22 mag, don't expect it to be as accurate. The .22lr with good ammo will shoot ragged hole groups.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:28 AM
northener

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My first impression of the t-bolt was, how nice it felt, and shouldered. I think there has been a lot of undeserved bashing going on about the trigger. The trigger was/is the best out of the box triggers I have experienced. Crisp with no overtravel. Mine out of the box is 3 1/2 lbs, tested on a dig. lyman gauge. Yes, they can be worked on if you desire, a little harder perhaps then some but non the less can be worked on.

I now have both versions sporter and varmint in .22lr FWIW, my target/varmint model is very accurate with CCI SV. I am patiently waiting for spring to arrive so I can get more range time with both and find the brand the sporter likes.

Quote:
What I want is a nice, well made accurate rifle that I can mount my scope on and use it for the around the house varmint rifle as well as some range play time. I usually take my Marlin to the range with me as a break between getting beat up by my higher caliber rifles and I find it fun to target shoot with.
this rifle is all of that!!!!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The two samples I have (both T/Vs, both wood/blue, one .22 lr, one .17 HMR) are, IMO, a couple of the better guns I've ever bought in terms of build quality out of the box for under $750. Equal to, if not a little better, than the CZs. Without question better than the Marlin (3) and Savage (1) rimfire bolts I've sampled. But you pay for the quality up front.

The triggers of mine have been pretty good. Very crisp and just under 3 lbs (Lyman digital gage) on one and about at 3 lbs on the other.

I hadn't worked with them much (the .17 is yet unfired), focusing on CZs. The .22 lr, though, has shown very good performance comparable to the CZs with the proper ammo.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Angry_American

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am pretty sure this is probably gonna be my next varmit rifle. Only question is this, .17hmr or .22 Mag? I like the additional stopping power of the .22mag over the standard .22 long rifle. I understand the .17 hmr has a slightly less amount of kinetic energy than the .22 mag at POE, but is it more accurate?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The T-Bolts look beautiful.

Look, I don't want to get expelled, or even caned for my sins, butr check out the Sako Quad with interchangeable barrels and excellent quality and accurracy.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_American View Post
I own a rather well used up Marlin 882SS in .22 mag, and am looking for a replacement rifle. Not having a toy store anywhere near me to go play I wondered if anyone could give me their impressions on the new T bolt. I understand the trigger is less than desirable and it doesn't seem that anyone has an after-market design out. How is the fit and finish on the parts? My Marlin has some very rough machine work, especially on the inside of the receiver, looks like it was finished with 20 grit sandpaper.

The one I have my eye on is the T Bolt target/varmint model in .22 mag.

Thanks!
I owned a new T-Bolt for about a week last week. It shot ok with a 3-9X; trigger was heavy but broke clean once I got thru more creep than I would like. It would put ten rounds of CCI SV into a 1" paster at 50 yd. but no ragged holes. I returned it for two reasons: first, the wretched Double Helix mag was way to difficult to load, and painful on the thumbs. Most irritating. Second: the rifle was sold to me as new but wasn't; discovered this by checking the SN with Browning. Before buying the rifle, load the magazine about ten times. If your thumbs can take it, it would make a pretty good light hunting rifle, but no tack-driver.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 PM
big mule1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a new model T-bolt and love it. It's the target varmint and has an adjustable trigger. The quality of this gun impressed me from the minute I saw it. It shoulders better than any .22 I've ever owned and the bolt function is smooth as can be. I wish some of my centerfires were as nice as this .22.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (144)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The T-Bolts look beautiful.

Look, I don't want to get expelled, or even caned for my sins, butr check out the Sako Quad with interchangeable barrels and excellent quality and accurracy.
I've owned two Quads, and two T-Bolts. The T-Bolts out shot the Quads with ease. The T-Bolts that I have, were much more accurate, better built and smoother.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM
bulldozerd8t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My t-bolt 22 lr is very accurate tried cci sv in it a couple of days ago put 3 shots in same hole the other 2 touched the single hole at 25 yds. I never use the thumbwheel to load mag it loads easy enough by pushing them in.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Army
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got done burning another brick through mine today. Still same hole at 25yds, and well within "minute of squirrel head" at 125yds. Never had such a sweet shooter.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 PM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
I was just at a dealers today looking at the 'T' Bolt. The woodstocked version looked great, they had a plastic stocked HMR...he showed me how they've got an extra magazine stored in the butt...don't really care for the plastic stocked version...but really like the idea of a handy spare mag.

Jerry
Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
22 skidoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're right, Bulldozer. The helix mag can be loaded easily just by sliding in the rounds one on top of the other, as you would do with a pistol magazine. The manual shows the mag being loaded with the use of the thumb wheel, so I just blindly did it that way, and ouch! If you need to unload a full mag, the wheel comes in handy for the first two rounds, but after that just slide them out, again like a pistol mag. Thanks again. Sometimes I am so dense I suprise myself.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
DariusK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a T-Bolt Target/Varmint in .22 Magnum. I've found it likes Remington Pointed Soft Points the best, and also the 50 gr Federals. I've gotten MOA accuracy at 100 yds with the Remingtons, but they are hard to find now. It is a good ground hog gun. I can operate the bolt with the back of my thumb, very smooth. I worked the trigger and it breaks at 2 lbs now. The helical magazine is not an problem for me.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 AM
joe k

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
are the t bolts made in japan?
thanks.
joe.