Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
zoned
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
TOZ35 project-2 [the BOZ-35m]

As mentioned in the earlier thread, I was interested in following the lead of another shooter and converting a TOZ35 into a shorter, lighter target pistol. The original bobbed 35 proved to be just as accurate as the OEM pistol at our 50 yard range. My application is casual slow-fire sport shooting and the result exceeds expectation. The superb ergonomics, feather-light trigger and precision accuracy remain, but in a compact package.

Essential for accuracy, the critical part of cutting a barrel is refinishing the crown. Two end cutters were used for crowning: a 90 degree from MidwayUSA to face the barrel flat http://tinyurl.com/yactrsz , and another from Brownell's to recess the rifling 11 degrees http://tinyurl.com/yz972m2 . These cutters use pilots that fit into the bore to align the cut, and the guides can be purchased in steel or brass. To guarantee a perfect fit and protect the rifling, I opted to turn my own pilots on a lathe from 3/8" bronze brazing rod. The cutters have set screws to retain the pilots. If used that way, the pilot would turn in the bore as the cutter is rotated. Not a good idea, so I sized the pilots for a snug bore fit and let the cutter spin on the pilot. Lots of oil prevented wear and kept everything accurate.

Three inches of TOZ barrel weighs 3.xx ounces

Crowning: the area was lubed with Brownell's Do-Drill cutting oil and the cutters turned by hand. Slow turning and even pressure prevents chatter marks.

Facing cut....

.... followed by the counter-sink cut....

... produced this.

The final result after cold bluing with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue

With front sight back on.

It's time to find a smaller case.

Last edited by zoned; 07-10-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: updated photo host
Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Home Metal Working/Machining

zoned ... are you a machinist?
Or, a metal working hobbyist?

Neat project.
The more I see of your modified free pistol ... the more I like it.
It makes a lot of sense for recreational shooting - aom22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoned View Post
... but have moved the sight back to see how it does with a shorter sight radius....
How difficult was it to reposition the front sight?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
zoned
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
... are you a machinist?...
No such skills necessary. Beyond making the pilots, it was all handwork with hacksaw and the end cutters. If you don't have a lathe, the commercially made pilots will do the job. A .215" should fit the TOZ bore.

Quote:
How difficult was it to reposition the front sight?
The front sight assembly on the 35 "M" is secured with a setscrew, so it just involved positioning it perpendicular to the rear sight blade. I moved the rear sight table and rear blade to center, then went to the range to test fire. A bit of right/left adjustment to the front got it zeroed. The lower half of TOZ front post inserts appear to be hand shaped, so they don't always stand perpendicular to the base. Filing the retaining notch as needed will correct a slant.

Fwiw, the "M" front sight has a reputation of being a bit wonky and working loose with use, so some competitive shooters put a drop of epoxy under the band to lock it in place. If necessary, this fix can be loosened with a soak in acetone, or a little heat applied with a micro torch.

Cutting the barrel did not affect accuracy, the pistol is still more accurate than a mere mortal can hold it. With Rink grip and bobbed forend the TOZ now weighs 33.8 ounces on my postal scale. Compared, for example, to a Smith 41 which weighs 42 ounces empty, it is much more manageable and pleasant to use during a day of shooting.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM
zoned
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Had a camera and the bobbed TOZ together recently, so thought I'd resurrect this thread with some updated photos. The project was finished and the pistol is operational. The result was a compact Free Pistol that is a joy to shoot. Sometimes you just have to pursue an unusual idea and see where it goes.

Last edited by zoned; 07-10-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: updated photo host
Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks pretty good...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ZONED: STICKied Theads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMike View Post
Looks pretty good...
Looks so good ... I STICKied your theads.
Quote:
Sticky: TOZ-35M Free Pistol, Free Pistol History
TOZ35 project ... zoned
TOZ35 project-2 ... zoned